A Little Advice?

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

gsmart04
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

A Little Advice?

Post by gsmart04 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm playing my fourth game as the Axis vs the Allied A/I. In all the games so far, its been real easy (as it should be) to defeat Norway, Denmark, the Low Countries and France. The first three games I played were notable for the Russians whipping me during and after the first severe winter and my running low on oil. In my fourth game, after reading several AAR's, I reached three hexes adjacent to Moscow by the first winter turn of October 20. I'm also adjacent to Leningrad. In the south, I got as far as Rostov.

And now I await the arrival of the Siberian reserves and the depths of winter.

The questions are: is this an average progress for the game against the A/I? Should I attempt to 'stand fast' at the gates of Moscow for the whole winter or withdraw to Smolensk? If I take a passive stance during the winter, will the Russians be so strong in the spring that I won't be able to beat them?

It seems I've finally discovered how to manage oil but could use some guidance on the questions above. Any comments are welcome.

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: A Little Advice?

Post by amcdonel » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 pm

Have you read the GS 2.0 manual?

The GS 2.1 manual will be out soon that will expand on GS strategies...

gsmart04

Post by gsmart04 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:51 pm

amcdonel wrote:Have you read the GS 2.0 manual?

I kinda got ticked off when I read your answer but I went back and found that there are sections of the manual I didn't read when the game first came out, so thanks! :oops:

I'm looking forward to the GS 2.1 manual too.

Schnurri
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Schnurri » Fri May 11, 2012 8:51 pm

part of the problem is you want advice against the AI and I simply don't recall what it does in those situations so can't offer advice.

gsmart04

Post by gsmart04 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Well, for what its worth, I decided to hang on around Moscow and not retreat to Smolensk. Made it through the winter and I'm still there and I am afraid I don't have the strength to take Moscow but I'm going to give a try. Picked up oil in Maikop and will also attack the well at Grozny but the A/I is doing a good job of causing me problems in Finland. And, it seems the A/I is playing the western front much better than in GS 2.0, or, at least it seems that way to me. The Allies have landed in France. I'm throwing them back or keeping them contained but it hasn't been as easy to do this as it was before or as cheaply.

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by amcdonel » Sat May 12, 2012 12:18 am

gsmart04 wrote:
amcdonel wrote:Have you read the GS 2.0 manual?

I kinda got ticked off when I read your answer but I went back and found that there are sections of the manual I didn't read when the game first came out, so thanks! :oops:

I'm looking forward to the GS 2.1 manual too.
My apologies - I was in a hurry!! No slight intended. In fact, I have a rough time even keeping up what is in the manual - there is so much good info the forum and other turn out!!!

Soon on the manual...

alec

gsmart04

Post by gsmart04 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:54 am

Thanks, Alec. I understand and no slight taken.

The manual is prodigious in its size and content but you're right in that it needs to be read and then referred to even after playing for a while.

The manual is well-written and laid out by the way.

Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Diplomaticus » Fri May 18, 2012 10:38 am

My two cents:

In a typical CEAW game, the Axis can conduct very effective offensives in both the summer of 1941 & 1942. This assumes decent tactics and available forces. By 1943 it's often the case that the Russians are strong enough to make big Axis summer offensives dangerous, if not downright suicidal.

If you've only played four games so far, you seem to be progressing pretty well, so don't be hard on yourself. There's a lot to learn.

Last piece of advice: You want to prevent the Allies from ever getting an early foothold on the continent (and keep Italy in the game!), but in most games it is Russia that breaks the back of Axis. Treat Russia as Enemy Number One.

Good luck!

gsmart04

Post by gsmart04 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Diplomaticus wrote:My two cents:

In a typical CEAW game, the Axis can conduct very effective offensives in both the summer of 1941 & 1942. This assumes decent tactics and available forces. By 1943 it's often the case that the Russians are strong enough to make big Axis summer offensives dangerous, if not downright suicidal.

If you've only played four games so far, you seem to be progressing pretty well, so don't be hard on yourself. There's a lot to learn.

Last piece of advice: You want to prevent the Allies from ever getting an early foothold on the continent (and keep Italy in the game!), but in most games it is Russia that breaks the back of Axis. Treat Russia as Enemy Number One.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice and kind words. In my current game on GS2.1, I actually reached the Moscow area in 1941 but then spent the whole 1942 spring and summer campaign hammering away at the city. Once I had the infantry corps defending down to 1-step but it still survived and now I'm facing the wrath of the Russian counteroffensive. I did solve my oil problem by taking Iraq, Maikop and Grozny but the Russians remain still somewhat active in the Caucasus. Looks like 1943 will be decisive but I'm not optimistic at this point. My thinking is I should have pulled back from Moscow for the first winter and disengaged my armor and move them south to try and attack Moscow from the rear in 1942. But you live and learn.

Its amazing to me how I fell into many of the same strategic and operational mistakes that were made in the real campaign!

siln
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by siln » Wed May 23, 2012 9:15 am

Please note this only works well against the AI:

After the fall of France I launch an immediate invansion of England. I land forces near Norwich supported by air and naval support and proceed to send over as much force to secure the British Isles. Remember to bring up the Italian airforce for extra firepower. The rest of 1940 should be diverted to conquoring lower England and 1941 to securing Scottland. 1941 should also be used to reallocate resources - I transfer the forces in England back to Russia and place garrison troops in England - the stage is thus set for an early invansion of Russia in 1942 as you have secured your Western front. You will need to build up your naval forces slowly to stop the Murmansk convoys.

A few things that I would recommend:

1) Attack Yugoslavia after the vienna accords in 1940 - even if you don't have forces ready to invade - by declaring war on Yugoslavia, Romania and Hungry enter in on the Axis side - but more importantly thier Oil fields begin to start supplying you. I can usually have over 1200 in oil by the start of a 1942 Barbarossa. Use rail capacity to move forces as much as possible as well.

2) Invest in air support and tank research and developement. Upgrade your forces a turn or two before you intend to invade.

3) Create as many Panzer SS units prior to starting. I usually have little use for the airborne.

4) Place your best commanders on the Eastern front - Manstein, Rommel, Guerderian

I have FOUR main army groups
North (the six to seven hexes from the Baltic south)- Three Panzers, Two Mech Inf, a few Inf, Two Fighters, Two Tac Bomber and one Strategic Bomber

Center (Around Brest) - Three Panzers, Two Mech, Bunch of Inf, One or Two Fighters, Two Tac Bombers

South (South of Brest to the Carpathian mountains)- One Mech, One Panzer, Main Inf, Romanian Airforce / Italian Airforce

Deep South (From Carpathian down to the Black sea - near Odessa) - Mainly Romanian Hungarian Bulgarian forces with a few German Inf and perhaps One Mech

Have two Panzer SS units in reserve in the North and Center area

You will be able to steam roll over Russia

Let me know if you want to hear my actual tactics once the invasion has begun - feel like I've talked too much already :?
All the best - and if anyone out there sees flaws in my strategy - please post I'm happy to have constructive criticism.

All the best and happy gaming !

gsmart04

Post by gsmart04 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive and helpful reply! A really different way, for me, of looking at things and I will try it out in my next game. 9 Panzer units is more than I usually build but I've invaded Russia only in 1941. This puts a whole new perspective on things.

And, yes, I would like to hear about your actual tactics once Barbarossa begins.

siln
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by siln » Wed May 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Barbarrossa to me is more about the Marathon rather than the dash. Its about initially hitting hard with combined air and tank attacks and shifting to infantry attacks in the 1943 -1944 period

From a May 1942 start, you will be able to do a lot of damage, but may not be able to take Moscow! That may need to be done in 1943.

When on the attack don't go for multiple targets - rather go for actual kills. By this I mean concentrate your forces and eliminate entire units and don't go for just damaging units.

In the early part of 1942 use your air support to damage a unit and then use panzers and infantry to destroy them

If you used my strategy up until now and have run a "green" army then you should have 1200+ oil to run amok.
Thus use the airforce extensively at the beginning.

I usually have the Northern Army Group go for Riga and then create a defensive line on the River Daugava - this will be an extensive line that you will have to populate with future infantry units from the City of Riga to Vitebsk to Smolensk - think Great Wall of China. The Reds will amass their forces behind this line - but should have limited success in an attack on you - especially if your Infantry are dug in, in the forest, and behind a river. Don't advance North beyond this, forget Leningrad - use this defensive line in luring the enemy from you main target - Eastward advance to Moscow!

Army Group Center should be able to attack Brest and advance around the northern part of the Pripet Marshes. Its Objective is to support Army group North on an attack on Smolensk and to take Gromel and link up with Army group south

Army Group South should be able to take the Southern route around the Pripet Marshes. It should take Vinnitsa and then link up with Army Group Center at Gromel to isolate a large group of the Red Army in the marshes

You should make it your goal to begin transferring some panzer to an attack on Kherson then Stalino and then Rostov - you must capture the two oil fields in the northern caucauses in 1942.

Use Army Group Deep South as a defensive line to pin the enemy forces and use Army Group South to go around and attack the enemy around odessa form the rear. Remember - use infantry to eventually take odessa - your main objective is to use the panzers that you are transferring to the south to take the oil fields before winter.

By the winter of 1942-43 - just form a defensive line at various points - let your army rebuild over the winter and upgrade them. Move your planes up to support them. Stock up on fuel.

At this point your economy should shift from building tanks - to building Infantry and ships. - you will need the ships to strangle the Murmansk convoys and keep America from landing in France. You will need infantry to make it through the forest and mountainous terrain ahead. Rail your newly built infantry to the frontline for a 1943 spring offensive. Begin to limit air attacks and tank attacks for the infantry to conserve on Oil.

In 1943 I usually take Moscow and make a drive to Omsk. I usually don' take Omsk til 1944 - but by then you will have more infantry than you will know what to do with. The stead build up in naval units will close off the Atlantic and Russia won't be able to survive for very long.

Even if you don't take Omsk - you will own London, Paris, and Moscow which will give you a high victory.

Let me know if this works out for you. Again - this will likely not work well against a human opponent. All the best and good luck!

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau » Wed May 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Noob playing as the Allies, but still appreciate the insights. I just want to give the kind British soul who agreed to challenge me somewhat of a run for the money. I was never impressed with the old CEAW, but GS in MP is looking great - and I am a jaded old wargamer. Thanks!

gsmart04

Post by gsmart04 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Siln,

Thanks for the grand strategy reply. I will print it off and refer to it many times, I'm sure. One question: How close do you usually get to Moscow in 1942 and how do you attack it and take it in 1943? I'm having trouble with that.

siln
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by siln » Fri May 25, 2012 10:02 pm

I can make it the very gates of Moscow before winter sets on 1942. I usually have a combined group of Infantry, and Panzers. I bring ALL my airforce in. Then for my 1943 spring offensive - after I've upgrade my airforce and land forces, I blast the accumulated forces around Moscow to bits and claim the six hexes around the city before I unleash my planes on it. This is usually a 3 turn process. Don't forget to protect your flanks!

The AI is rather dumb and usually just floods the area with tons of infantry with disregard to other fronts, but if you have your tanks leveled up and with good commanders you will cut through them quickly. Also if you have created the defensive wall of forces along the river from Riga you will be surprised how many forces the AI places there - its all wasted as your panzer army blazes to the east.

gsmart04

Post by gsmart04 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Thanks again. I actually have that scenario underway in a game I'm currently playing. Don't know if I have enough time to get all six hexes though. I control 2 and its already August.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”