Half or full production from liberated cities?

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Half or full production from liberated cities?

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

I wonder if the Allies will receive half or full production from the cities and resouces they liberate in France, Belgium, Holland etc.? Captured cities only yield half production, but I think liberated cities should yield full production. So how does the game deal with liberated cities of conquered former Allies?

I guess Allied conquest of Italian cities will only give half production, but if Germany recaptures Italian cities after Italy has been conquered I guess Germany will get full production back too?

I also wonder about damage done by strategic bombers. E. g. if I bombard Ruhr and cause 3 damage. Is this just damage for one turn or will it give cumulative damage meaning that it will reduced production by 3 from the hex and then automatic repairs will give increase production 1 or so each turn. So a 3 damage will give 3 + 2 + 1 = 6PPs of damage in total (over 3 turns). Is this how strategic bombardment works?

I noticed that you can inflict more damage to a hex from strategic bombardment than the production value of a hex. Does this mean that the hex drops to e. g. negative production (but you won't lose production). E. g. you bombard a 2PP city and inflict 4 damage. Does this mean the city will produce 0 the first turn (2-4 = -2), 0 the second turn (2- 4 +1 = -1), 0 the third turn (2-4+2 =0), 1 the fourth turn (2-4+3=1) and normal 2 production from turn 5 so on. Is this how it works when you inflict more damage than the value of a hex?

Or is strategic bombardment so simple you just deduct the damage inflicted from the the bombardment to the PP income of the bombarded country for one turn only? I hope it's not like that because then strategic bombers are very ineffective. E. g. a tac bomber striking a land unit and inflict 1 hit will cause from 1-10 PP's of repair dependent upon unit. So 1 hit from a tac bomber can give 10 PP damage if a CV was hit. But if a strat bomber only inflict direct PP damage it means a heavy hit of 4 points will only cause 4 PP of damage to the bombarded country. It's much better if a resource, city etc. will be depleted and can only repair 1 step per turn. So a 4 damage strat bomber strike will cost 4+3+2+1 = 10 PPs over 4 turns. Then strat bombers will be more valuable.

Remember also that strat bombers are expensive and will often suffer some hits from flak and enemy fighters. So a strat bomber receiving 1 hit while bombarding will maybe pay more to repairs that the losses inflicted upon them. That's one reason I don't build many strat bombers as the Alles. They're so expensive to repair and receive losses quite easily.
stalins_organ
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by stalins_organ »

On bombing cities.....the production of cities (and mines and wells) will drop if you hit them hard enough - this is indicated by the production number next to them dropping. As it goes lower it will also change colour to yellow, orange and red pretty much as unit colours do for readiness.
firepowerjohan
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by firepowerjohan »

The damage shown as "3 points" is the strength loss of the Resource. Resources have 10 strength like units and they regain 1 strength per turn. So for example, to get them down to half production you need to inflict 5 casualty points on them. Sea Ports have no defence (unless you have technology) and large cities have same defence as small ones so it use to be more worth it to attack Ports or large Cities/Capitals.
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
Happycat
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Happycat »

What is the answer to Stauffenberg's first question? (regarding how the game deals with liberated cities vs conquered cities) Image
Chance favours the prepared mind.
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

ah, yes. Liberated cities are on your side so they give you 100% production.
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
Happycat

Post by Happycat »

Firepower Johan, thank you for your prompt reply Image
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

Does that also apply to a friendly major or minor power that has been conquered before it's liberated? I think about countries like France, Belgium, Holland etc. It's natural that Russia gets full production when liberating its own cities. So the big question is if USA will get full production to liberate e. g. Brest and Paris.
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

Yes they will, France is proallies. Any country that is attacked by one side will join the other side so also liberating ocuntries will bring full production.
Happycat

Post by Happycat »

Great, something for me to look forward to now, Stauffenberg :D
James Taylor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by James Taylor »

I'm hoping that these newly liberated assets don't go into full production immediately upon being conquered.

Realistically there would be an interim period that the ravages of war would need to be repaired. I would say that a slow escalation to a max of 80% prewar production would be an accurate simulation of generic WW2 events.
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

seamonkey wrote:I'm hoping that these newly liberated assets don't go into full production immediately upon being conquered.

Realistically there would be an interim period that the ravages of war would need to be repaired. I would say that a slow escalation to a max of 80% prewar production would be an accurate simulation of generic WW2 events.
We have that in game already. There is splash damage on resources when a defending unit takes a hit.

example:
Paris production 8, defended by corps strength 10.

1st attack : corps take 1 points damage, Paris lose 1 strength, Defender at strength 9, Paris at strength 9
2nd attack : corps take 0 point damage, Paris lose 0 strength. Defender at strength 9, Paris at strength 9
3rd attack : corps take 2 point damage, Paris lose 1 strength. Defender at strength 7, Paris at strength 8
4th attack : corps take 3 points damage, Paris lose 1 strength, Defender at strength 4, Paris strength 7
5th attack : corps take 1 point damage, Paris lose 1 strength. Defender at strength 3, Paris at strength 6
6th attack : corps take 3 point damage, Paris lose 1 strength. Defender at strength 0, Paris at strength 5

Corps defender dead, attacker advance and take Paris.

Paris is now at strength 5, so worth 50%, furthermore you get 50% from conquered land. This means Axis will get 8*50%*50%=2 Production Points per turn initially. Resources regain 1 strength per turn so in 5 turns Paris will be at full production again which is 8 Production Points and Axis will then get 8*50%=4 PP.

The city text will turn yellow, orange or red to signal increasing grades of damage and its current production is shown in the Hex Info Panel.
vypuero
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by vypuero »

also could be considered a morale boost, as well as the fact that we have already dropped the allied economy down, I dont think they are in danger of having more than they should.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”