German Commanders

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

KC Dennis
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

German Commanders

Post by KC Dennis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:03 pm

OK, I've got one PBEM game under my belt, and read through a couple of AARs, and I'm looking to improve my performance in my next game. I could use some advice on how many commanders Germany needs at various stages of the war. With so many other things to spend production on, it's really tough to buy those commanders. Assuming a war that loosely follows the historic path, when should I be investing in these guys?

petertodd
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: German Commanders

Post by petertodd » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:35 am

Deciding where to spend your limited resources is certainly one of the things that makes this game interesting and challenging. Having sufficient commanders is very important, or in the long run you will take much greater losses in PPs and manpower due to lower effectiveness. I would always want to make sure all my significant operations (offensive or defensive) are within command range of a quality commander. This includes air units. You start with one fair commander (Rundstedt) in 1939. I always "build" one of the top offensive commanders (Manstein, Guderian, or Rommel) for France, and then use Rundstedt to cover the air units in the read. This is plenty for France, since it is not a large front. If you do anything in North Africa, you will need a decent commander there. In Russia you initially need at least 2 quality commanders, but preferably 3. As you get very far into Russia you will need at least 3 or 4. When France becomes threatened you need one or two there. When Sicily is threatened you probably want one there.

captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by captkiwi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:02 pm

Another option is when a front becomes quiet you can reassign a commander to another front which may need attention. This way you don't have to spend production points on buying another commander.

BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:00 am

Remember that a commander translates his organization to the units beneath his command! Remember Commanders have a range. So if your tanks run 10 hexes out too far away from your Commander, Supply and hit some bad weather..which has happened to me.. a few turns they can be dead meat!

You need all the top Axis commander and Allied commanders in the game to play the game at it's full potential. The rest are just for defense/attack bonuses, which sometimes since they are cheap in certain locations adds a nice pain the butt for your opponent.

P.S. Never forget your Air in the rear, first error I made in my first game.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”