Mac iOS Yosemite Screwed My Game!

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

siln
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Mac iOS Yosemite Screwed My Game!

Post by siln »

I took the liberty of uploading my iOS for my Mac to Yosemite - after this "upgrade" CEAW v3.1 is now no longer the game I remember. Units slowly crawl about the map during maneuvers. Is there a fix - I'm not that literate when it comes to the technical aspect of computers and would appreciate any help, or comments if anyone else has noted this problem. Thanks
richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Mac iOS Yosemite Screwed My Game!

Post by richardsd »

go back is the answer for some reason Yosemite doesn't work well with the game
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

Hi,
I am a Mac player. Yes Yosemite is not good for the game. I went back to 10.9.5 and the latest java from Oracle java 7 update 71.

The game plays fine and fast (10.9.5). The java for Yosemite is not good imo. I do not know when it will be fixed. I have a 2010 Mac Book pro

dual core i5 processor w/ 8GB ram
siln
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by siln »

Not to sound too naive, but hoe does one go back?
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

If you backed up you system using Time machine you could restore a previous version.

If not you would want to backup your system, then erase and install a previous version. Then use migration assistant or manually transfer your files.

I have not checked the Apple support forums if this has been raised yet.
yosefbenami
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by yosefbenami »

Reinstall Java. Search for 'Apple Java for OS X 2014-001'. It was missing from the Yosemite install software.
I have had no problems with Yosemite at all except for the wrong version of Java that is required by the Commander series. Reinstall and it should be fine. Hope that this helps.
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

In my situation, it caused flashing of the game screen and when it was not doing that the units would move very slowing

to their positions. Also there were delays performing attacks. This was playing PBEM games.

YMMV.
yosefbenami
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by yosefbenami »

<In my situation, it caused flashing of the game screen and when it was not doing that the units would move very slowing

to their positions. Also there were delays performing attacks. This was playing PBEM games.>

Interesting. On my machines, CEAW would not work at all after installing Yosemite. After re-installing Java it worked perfectly. However the version I reinstalled was from Apple's website and not from Oracle.
JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM »

Hello All,
Please try downloading the Java update from the link below:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572
bensand88
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by bensand88 »

I just updated my computer with 10.10.1, the new update out today. Have launched 3 different games including a new one and the flickering is 99.9% gone. There were still a couple "twinges" but mostly all the info windows displayed without a hitch. Yeah!
yosefbenami
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by yosefbenami »

The update to Mac OS X Yosemite (V10.10.1) will mess up Java again on the older games available from Slitherine that use Java. To fix it, reinstall the Mac OS Java that is available at Apple support. This reinstall is actually Java 6 which is not affected by the changes brought in by the Yosemite installation. Alternatively you can go to Oracle's website and, doing your best to navigate through undecidedly Mac unfriendly instructions, find the Mac version of Java 8, and install that instead. Either one will work.
rtamesis
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by rtamesis »

OS X 10.10.2 screwed it up again for me. I have the latest java 8 version on my Mac. I tried installing the Java 6 version but that doesn't seem to override it.
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

Hi, I also have screen or small dialog boxes flashing with Yosemite 10.10.2 with Java from the Apple website.

To me it is Yosemite that is the problem. Also later into the game everything bogs down and units will move slowly to their positions.

I do not see a fix unless Apple does it.
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

UPDATE,

The latest upgrade for Yosemite 10.10.3 has greatly improved the game play. The flashing is less and the units movemant almost as fast when playing on Mavericks 10.9 .
skaasz
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by skaasz »

I installed the Yosemite 10.10.3 update this weekend and I too found it to make a vast improvement in game play - much quicker unit movement, smoother sharper graphics, almost like a whole new game!
yosefbenami
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by yosefbenami »

I have had only minor problems with CEAW on Mac OS 10.10. There is the all too frequent game freezing, and the occasional window flickering, but no real slowdowns. The problems however is not in OS 10.10. It is in Java. Java has numerous security flaws and bugs that both Apple and Oracle have been working on. The latest OS 10.10 from Apple (OS 10.10.3) and the latest Java for Mac version (Java 8 ver. 40) seems to have solved most of these problems. Java 7 was not compatible with OS Yosemite and was disabled by Apple in an older OS 10.10 update. Java 6 was a workable solution but the installation process is complicated (go to the Java for Mac website at Oracle for instructions if you still want Java 6. It involves uninstalls and installs) and remember that the Mac OS does not automatically install Java anymore because of the bugs and security problems.
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

Well the game was unplayable with 10.10.2 with java 8 installed. The different windows i the game constantly flashing and the movement of units (especially naval units) was unbearable.

i finally got 8 removed and 6 installed and it was playable, but still a lot of flashing of the windows in the game. 10.10.3 did improve the game play a lot. I still get windows

flashing, but not as bad using 6 & 10.10.2 . I am still pondering going to 8 since it was very bad. Mavericks played the best with 6. So I can not say it was Java alone that was causing the problems I was having. Yosemite was the main culprit IMO.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”