PC vs Mac Update to 4.0?

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

GeneralButtercup82
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

PC vs Mac Update to 4.0?

Post by GeneralButtercup82 »

As a Mac owner i updated to 4.0 and still have a fully functional version 3.1 so can play either. My PC friends are reporting that updating to 4.0 will replace their 3.1 games and so won't update until they are done with current games. For PC users, is that true? You must have either 3.1 or 4.0?
Your Turn,
General Buttercup
generalbuttercup82@gmail.com
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: PC vs Mac Update to 4.0?

Post by pk867 »

Hi,

That is correct in the scenario you gave. That's just the way the Mac version is set up. But, you can not play 3.1 games with the 4.0 app or visa versa.

So finish your 3.1 games and maybe you will find some 4.0 games with either PC or other Mac players.
GeneralButtercup82

Just to be clear then.

Mac users can have both versions and can play either, 3.1 games with 3.1 and 4.0 games with 4.0.

PC user can have either 3.1 and play 3.1 games OR 4.0 and play 4.0 games? If they wanted to have an option they would have to have two PCs, 1 for 3.1 and 1 for 4.0?

If that is true, its another reason for Mac users, like me, to feel all superior all the time! :lol:
Your Turn,
General Buttercup
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

Yes that is correct. I do not endorse your latter comment. Players who use windows can create a separate sandbox that can have both versions.

Version 3.1 has bugs and has some issues concerning balance. Version 4.0 has fixed many bugs and has better balance and has a more historical

feel. One thing is that the game is released for both platforms simultaneously and can be played with many languages. That is player 'A' can use English while player

'B' can use (for example) French, German, or Russian, etc. The players are not required to use the same language while playing the game.

Remember this mod Grand Strategy was done by hobbyists to bring about a better game.
GeneralButtercup82

I have enjoyed playing CEAW for more than 10 years and have fully appreciated all the work the enthusiasts have performed to make the game seriously better each step. I am excited to find a player willing to start a 4.0 game but don't have any yet because my 3.1 opponents all play on PCs and have current games they say they have to finish before upgrading. Had to ask if that was true. Thanks
Your Turn,
General Buttercup
GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by GogTheMild »

I have both 3.1 and 4.0 on my PC. I have them both open, with two different PBEM games, at the moment. It seemed straight forward to me, but I won't try to describe it in detail as my IT skills and language are definitely limited and I would probably confuse more than help. Basically, make really sure that you have all of 3.1 safely saved - a memory stick or similar would do - load 4.0 as instructed, copy 3.1 back into where ever you store CEaW alongside 4.0. Et voila.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”