Naval Warfare as Axis

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Tex01532
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Naval Warfare as Axis

Post by Tex01532 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 pm

I’ve always found naval combat as a chore when playing as the Axis. Anyone have good strategies if you’re not doing sea lion (until after a Soviet capitulation)?

JyriErik
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Naval Warfare as Axis

Post by JyriErik » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:13 am

Pretty much build Uboats. Due to the starting sizes of the Allied navies, the Axis can't build enough surface units to take on the western Allies & still be able to fight the Russians on land. Uboats, especially if you allow at sea repairs, can slowly attrition the Allied fleets. Plus, the surface units the Allies will have to build to sink the Uboats are that many less ground/air units they'll have to fight on land.

Jyri

JimR
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by JimR » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:23 am

I wonder how many U-boats are enough. Typically I end up with seven (two for each of the three convoys, plus a spare for rotation and upgrading). The U-boats have happy hunting till about 1943, when they must start being very selective because of increased Allied effectiveness (including US entry). I usually lose games as the Axis, so I don't know if this practice of having seven U-boat units is especially effective.

JyriErik
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by JyriErik » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:45 pm

I usually build the max allowed w/o suffering price/oil penalties.

Remember that Uboats are not just for sinking convoys, they're also a good recon unit. Knowing when/where/how large the troops convoys can help you fight the invasion when it comes.

Jyri

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”