MacBook issue

Forum for technical support for the digital reader version of Field of Glory.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

MacBook issue

Post by zoltan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:09 am

The rules opened fine on my brand new MacBook Pro in my home wifi network. I am now in another city (no wifi) at a wargames convention and have brought my Mac with the new rules for the unpire to use in running the comp. The rules now won't open although the reader does come up when I click it. Rather embarassing.

Is it a setting on my Mac or are the rules unusuable on a laptop without a wifi connection?

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: MacBook issue

Post by batesmotel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:44 am

zoltan wrote:The rules opened fine on my brand new MacBook Pro in my home wifi network. I am now in another city (no wifi) at a wargames convention and have brought my Mac with the new rules for the unpire to use in running the comp. The rules now won't open although the reader does come up when I click it. Rather embarassing.

Is it a setting on my Mac or are the rules unusuable on a laptop without a wifi connection?
They won't open on PC either without an internet connection. I think if you open them when you have a connection and leave them open you should be able to use them while you're offline.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:38 am

batesmotel wrote:
zoltan wrote:The rules opened fine on my brand new MacBook Pro in my home wifi network. I am now in another city (no wifi) at a wargames convention and have brought my Mac with the new rules for the unpire to use in running the comp. The rules now won't open although the reader does come up when I click it. Rather embarassing.

They won't open on PC either without an internet connection. I think if you open them when you have a connection and leave them open you should be able to use them while you're offline.

Chris
Thanks - so basically I am at a wargames convention with my Mac based rules which I will not be able to access (no wifi). The other guy with an iPad is experiencing constant crashes so we are basically rule-less.

Does that mean I need to leave the rules open on my laptop when I power it off to board the plane and when I power on again at my destination the rules will open up on the screen?

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:06 am

zoltan wrote:
batesmotel wrote:

Chris
Thanks - so basically I am at a wargames convention with my Mac based rules which I will not be able to access (no wifi). The other guy with an iPad is experiencing constant crashes so we are basically rule-less.

Does that mean I need to leave the rules open on my laptop when I power it off to board the plane and when I power on again at my destination the rules will open up on the screen?
On a PC I would have the system hibernate and then they would be open when I restarted the PC. I'm not sure how to do the equivalent for a Mac. Is there some place locally where you could get on WiFi temporarily? I think the problem is that the reader tries to check for updates when you go to open the book and doesn't open it if the.check fails. Once the rules are open then you don't need the connection.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

abannanSupport
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by abannanSupport » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:37 am

Apologies, we have discovered a bug that does not allow offline reading. We will be issuing a new release of the desktop versions early next week.

Thanks
Lawrence

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Any progress on this please?

Is this a bug you can fix with a one-off MAC intervention or are you planning to sweep it up in a general release which addresses a list of issues encountered across the range of platforms?

In other words, am Iikely to be able to use my MAC version offline in a matter of days or not for some (as yet indeterminate) time?

Thanks
Stephen

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:25 am

This is a bug which has been found and fixed. We will have a beta 2.01 version for you to look at very soon.

Return to “Tech Support”