Classical Greek list error

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

player
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Classical Greek list error

Post by player »

Looking to convert my V2 Classical Greek list to V3.
I noticed that there is an error for the Thureophroi which would normally be in the V1/2 Hellenistic Greek list but has now disappeared in V3.
The V3 Classical Greek list ends in 279 BC apart from the now incorporated Syracusan list which ends in 211 BC.

The Thureophoroi in the list says 'only from 27 BC'. This is clearly wrong and is not in the book 1 errata. What should the date be because if it should be from 279 BC or a later date, then it should not be in the list at all. If the date should be earlier then that is also incorrect as the Thureophoroi did not come in until after that date as in the old Hellennistic Greek list.

Anyone know what the problem is here and what should the date be or in fact whether the Thureophori should not be in the V3 list at all?
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Classical Greek list error

Post by berthier »

It should be 279 BC which means it is only available to the Syracuse sublist. It was addressed in the final Errata for V3 published in Army Lists - Book 3: Appendix 2 p. 149.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
player
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by player »

thanks for that Berthier. However, there is also another error which has not been corrected in the same place: It says that the Thureophori are medium foot instead of heavy foot and the Iphikratean hoplites are heavy instead of medium foot. It should be perhaps be either/or but not only medium for the former and only heavy for the latter. This was correct in v 1 and v 2. As far as I am aware there is no new historical evidence to support a new interpretation.
berthier

Post by berthier »

I suspect that it may have been part of the general streamlining of the lists when they were redone for v3.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
player
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by player »

So Thureophori foot and the Iphikratean hoplites can both be either medium or heavy foot? I would suggest this.
Doesn't seem that the current error is about streamlining the lists.
player
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by player »

I have also noticed that there is another apparent error in these lists: 'Upgrade hoplites to citizens' only has before 460 BC and then only 'protected'. I would assume that these should be 'armoured' and then have a separate line for 'After 460 BC' where the Hoplites are 'protected'.
There was nothing in the any errata I could see so must have been missed again I can only assume.
CadenDiaz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by CadenDiaz »

player wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:59 am I have also noticed that there is another apparent error in these lists: 'Upgrade hoplites to citizens' only has before 460 BC and then only 'protected'. I would assume that these should be 'armoured' and then have a separate line for 'After 460 BC' where the Hoplites are 'protected'.
There was nothing in the any errata I could see so must have been missed again I can only assume.
agree with you

Return to “Scenarios, AAR's, Lists, Modelling and more”