Attachments: Base Exchange or...

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core, hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Attachments: Base Exchange or...

Post by Blathergut » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Has anyone experimented with other ways of showing attachments than exchanging bases? I'd rather keep my 16 figures of French and just show an artillery and a skirmisher attachment with bases out front somehow. So far, I have a small artillery piece on a half-width base (30mm x 45mm) to show an artillery attachment. I am going to try two kneeling infantry on a half-width base for skirmishers and see how that looks.

Trailape
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Attachments: Base Exchange or...

Post by Trailape » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:30 pm

What scale are we talking about, 15mm or (I asume) 28mm? With 16 figs to the unit are you basing 4 figs to a base one rank deep?
"CANNON, n. An instrument employed in the rectification of national boundaries".
- Ambrose Bierce
For more Wargaming goodness, visit my BLOG:
http://trailape.blogspot.com/

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:25 pm

For a full infantry base: 8 28mm figures on 60mm x 45mm. Looks awesome! (I just blank my mind when I think of how many figures I'll have to paint!) I could have done front rank spaced out a bit as reformed skirmishers, but I liked the packed in dense look.

I don't know it Deadtorius is going 3 or 4 figures per rank with his 28mm Austrians. Hopefully 4.

I am 'dipping' the fourth base of a small unit tonight, plus the two kneeling skirmisher figures. Hopefully later in the week I can post a pick and souls can comment or give ideas.

A small unit comes in at 32 figures....large = 48!!

Trailape
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trailape » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 pm

Hmmm,.. All my 28mm figs are on 50mm square bases with 6 figs in 2 ranks of 3, (some only 5 figs ranked 3 front and 2 rear).
'Sigh' :roll:
No way I'll rebase my 28s for FOG-N.
Fortunatly all my 18mm ABs a based perfectly for FOG-N on 40mm wide bases, 8 figs in 2 four fig ranks. I have an abundant number of spare 3pdr guns that I will base on 40mm wide / 30mm deep bases to use as 'attached' artillery.
All my larger caliber guns are on 40mm square bases and these will form my 'Battery' units.
So I'll use 'substitute' bases in 18mm.
As for 28mm I will probably simply have the Attached Artillery base plonked down in front of the 4 bases of Infantry, and simply move it to the rear once the hand to hand stuff happens,..
"CANNON, n. An instrument employed in the rectification of national boundaries".
- Ambrose Bierce

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:51 pm

I wouldn't rebase. As long as opponents are the same, you're fine. Even if the other side was 60mm, you could easily manage. Try out the rules and see how they go. At least I have one willing opponent here...that makes a world of difference. PLus, we're both starting up the 28mm figures while we play the first few games (or more likely well into next year!!) with Deadtorius's 20mm plastics.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:11 am

Here's my first painting of Napoleonic French. One small unit (4me Reg. de Ligne). The thought is to use half-width bases for the skirmishers. Less bulk out front of the unit and easily moved to the sides (if room) or rear instead of removing half the unit.

Thoughts?

(Ignore the fresh glue! :oops: )

Trailape
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trailape » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:13 am

I've played 2 games in 18mm scale thus far.
One game using the 'Quick Play' rules, (bad move); and one game using the complete rules.
For sure we screwed a few things up but generally we found them to be very good.
I usually play LASALLE, and will continue to use these for Battalion level games (well battalions are the manouver element, it's reall a divisional level game).
FOG-N will become our prefered CORPS / ARMY level set I'm sure.
Great rules IMHO.
- Ambrose Bierce

Trailape
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trailape » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:17 am

Blathergut wrote:Here's my first painting of Napoleonic French. One small unit (4me Reg. de Ligne). The thought is to use half-width bases for the skirmishers. Less bulk out front of the unit and easily moved to the sides (if room) or rear instead of removing half the unit.

Thoughts?
Unfortunatly I'm at work at present, so can't see the photo to make comment. :lol:
I'll get back to you once I finish for the day, (in about 6 hours).
Thanks for sharing all the same. :D
The theory sound erm,... 'sound' though. 8)
- Ambrose Bierce

Trailape
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trailape » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:12 am

They look fine,..
- Ambrose Bierce

edb1815
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by edb1815 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Trailape wrote:I've played 2 games in 18mm scale thus far.
One game using the 'Quick Play' rules, (bad move); and one game using the complete rules.
For sure we screwed a few things up but generally we found them to be very good.
I usually play LASALLE, and will continue to use these for Battalion level games (well battalions are the manouver element, it's reall a divisional level game).
Great rules IMHO.
My 15mm are already based on LASALLE which is perfect for units. For attachments I'll start with a LASALLE skirmish marker (2 figures on a 30mm x 15mm base) as the skirmish attachment, a single mounted figure for the officer and I am not sure yet with the artillery. I have plenty of 40x40mm gun bases, but I don't like the look of one whole base taken up by the arty. Maybe a half width marker on the side of the unit. That'll look better IMO.

After a read through I was unsure about the "Quick Play rules and with your comment I'll just move straight on to the full rules. I think experience with FOG AM and FOGR helps as well.

Trailape
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trailape » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:02 pm

I have a 'Regimental' Gun base for my 18mm Italians. It consists of a 3 pdr with 2 gunners and 4 Fusiliers. I think it will look fine as an 'Artillery Attachment'. I'll try and post a photo after work today.
Cheers
- Ambrose Bierce

Trailape
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trailape » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 pm

I just posted some observations (comments and photos) on my blog.
See link to my blog below.
Comments welcomed
Cheers
- Ambrose Bierce

Ambiorix
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Ambiorix » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Nice photo's Trailape !

Short question : what are the smoke and fire cottons for ? Do you use them for instance to indicate 'waiver/disorder' status or just for (visual) fun ?
cheers
Ambiorix,
"Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae"

Trailape
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Trailape » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:01 am

Just a reminder that a unit has fired,..
It's a carry over from playing a lot of LASALLE
- Ambrose Bierce

MikeHorah
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by MikeHorah » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Trailape wrote:I've played 2 games in 18mm scale thus far.
Great rules IMHO.
Thanks for your comments on the rules much appreciated.

Your point about BtN/Div versus Corps level is well made. One you get to the modern era where these structures are in place it is critical, I have argued, to decide before you write any rules what level of operations you want to model AND - as important - which do you find fun? If you like having to guess the ranges for your guns - without measuring first to see if the target is in canister range then a lower level of ops is for you. If you like to see really big units of 24 and 32 fugures of cavalry likewise. The trick is to be able to use your figures in more than one capacity and chose your rules to suit what you fancy on a given day .

To begin with I had problem with FOG(A) figuring out how to model an Imperial and post Marian Roman legion - being used to a rigid 1/20 figure scale and very much liking to be able to model individual cohorts which are - guess what?- the same as Btns in size ! But the Roman legion is very much the exception in the ancient world in that respect so I have gotten used to it and the flexible approach underlying the FOG(A) design approach. I just like "big" ancient battles so will ignore the maxima on both sides in a historical refight if it suits me.

One of our aims in FOG(N) was to model what Napoleon called "Grand Tactics". which means Corps level in our view . I am crossing my fingers and hoping we have done that.

KendallB

Post by KendallB » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:35 am

I totally agree Mike! Far too many people are hung up on namenclature.

nosher
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by nosher » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:40 pm

I too am thinking 'markers' rather than substitute bases for artillery and skirmisher attachments.

My Artillery markers will use guns 'a la FoG Ren' whilst for skirmishers I'll use a single base of two figures like under Lasalle.

To denote a unit which is skirmishing I intend to use two skirmish markers.

For officer attachments I am thinking modelling a specific marker to replace the stand as suggested in the rules and will probably go the route of losing a file of infantry on a standard infantry base and adding a mounted infantry officer in that files place on the base.

Cavalry attachments are easy - I will just use a standard cavalry stand

Artillery officer attachments is where this train of thinking comes unstuck... I will have to see what figures I have left kicking about to see what the possibilities are!

mellis1644
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by mellis1644 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:53 pm

This is where 6mm on a 30 x30 or larger base may come into it's own. As with a few more figs you can model attachments with the line units. Cavalry can really be shown with lines of infantry. Hmmm....

Return to “Rules Questions”