Rules on Arty V Cav

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Amra
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Rules on Arty V Cav

Post by Amra » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi All ,

We had a cav unit charge an arty battery . The arty tested , failed and abandoned their guns . The cav charge move ended on the arty position .

Question , what happens next ?

Is there a Combat resolution/outcome move (pp60-61 ) ? The arty dropped twice for being charged by cav so they would be destroyed ...

Is there a cav pursuit move ? An enemy inf unit would've been hit in the flank ( pursuit p65 )

Or does the cav just stay on the guns cause they don't exist in space with no crew and nothing further happens ?

Enjoyed the game and the rules BTW

Thanks

mellis1644

Re: Rules on Arty V Cav

Post by mellis1644 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:24 pm

From memory/my understanding, and I reply as much to see if I'm right as anything else. :)

> Is there a Combat resolution/outcome move (pp60-61 ) ?

No there is not. If they could not charge any other unit because their original target evaded/abandoned the guns then they complete their move.

> The arty dropped twice for being charged by cav so they would be destroyed ...

No, they would be destroyed by 3 losses. The gunners are hiding. They can attempt to recover those at the very start the owning players recovery phase, assuming that all the conditions for the recovery attempt are meet. If not, only then are the guns destroyed. Note,this seems to be the one recovery a unit can do without a commander from what I gather. All other recovery attempts need a commander to be present. But I may be wrong here as this is a little unclear to me...

> Is there a cav pursuit move ?

No, unless the cav moved to charge and fought a different target after the guns were abandoned.

>An enemy inf unit would've been hit in the flank ( pursuit p65 )

No pursuit occurs as no combat occurs with the guns directly. The gunners ran for the hills - possibly after firing or not. If the cav move off then there is a chance of the guns being recovered - maybe.

> Or does the cav just stay on the guns cause they don't exist in space with no crew and nothing further happens ?

That's what happens. If they stay there then to recover the guns the opposing player is going to have to force the cav to move in their turn. This means shooting the cav to get them to retire and moving up to the guns. If they do not then after the end of the owners turn the guns will then be destroyed.

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:29 pm

I believe the guns are not considered destroyed until the owning player fails their recovery roll.

If any enemy is within 4MU (think that correct) then you can not attempt to recover the guns. Until the guns are recovered they are treated as open ground, otherwise they are ignored. Some players suggested removing the guns from the bases to show they have been abandoned, one player has stated his guns are on a narrow base with the gunner figures making up the rest of the base so he can remove the gunner figures and leave the gun on the base to show it abandoned and it never leaves the table. I thought that was a clever idea.

Amra

Post by Amra » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:40 am

Great thanks so much .

So , despite ending the move in contact ie sitting on them , the guns don't look at the outcome moves chart where they would be destroyed ( you are quite right it would otherwise take 3 drops to destroy them ) . Which leads me to ask in what circumstances do the guns check that chart ? ( p 61)

To recover the guns you need no enemy in 2 MU and an unbroken friendly within 6 MU . If all the requirments are met (p47) you must test .

I have my guns loose on the base and just leave them to represent abandoned .

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 pm

First opportunity you roll on the chart and see if your gunners survived or not. Kind of like the rally broken troops rule, you have to do it at the first opportunity.
so as soon as the enemy is more than 2 Mu away and you have a friendly unit within 6 MU (this is assumed where the gunners are hiding if they are still alive) then you roll the dice and hope for the best.

Page 48 top left of page: "If, at the start of the players Recovery Phase, the above circumstances have been met, then an attempt to recover MUST be made."
so you try to recover your abandoned guns during the recovery phase, and with luck they will be there to shoot the dreaded enemy full of holes during the opposing assault and shooting phases.

Amra

Post by Amra » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:33 am

Yup thanks , I think I understand the "reacquire the guns" test but under what circumstances would I use the outcome moves chart for Arty ?

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:02 am

Outcome move for arty would occur if they are being charged or were shot at. Beside the artillery column you will see where it says in contact with enemy (they fought in hand to hand) or otherwise (they were shot at). Unlimbered goes on to cover contacted by foot or horse and shot at.
So depending on the situation the artillery finds itself in after you have rolled the dice for the combat you would use the appropriate column to determine what they do as a reaction move.

Reaction moves are always how you react to being charged, shot at or took part in a melee combat.

Return to “Rules Questions”