Mixed Divisions: Number of Units???

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Mixed Divisions: Number of Units???

Post by deadtorius » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Actually thinking about it today I did max out all the arty once in a 900 point game, Austria 1809. 5 guns plus the 2 horse guns. Horse guns were nice as they move about quickly but they cost me a large line unit, and although artillery get lots of dice they can't hold ground if the enemy gets too close. Not to mention if your rolling lousy artillery is just as bad as conscripts without the re-rolls :evil: Never done it since that one try with an uber Arty army. I would rather have more line troops although 1 battery per division is kind of nice for the unreformed boys.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 pm

deadtorius wrote: I would rather have more line troops although 1 battery per division is kind of nice for the unreformed boys.
really? I have found large amounts of artillery very powerful. It really needs a large determined force to drive off artillery. But then usually I have a full line of foot and artillery.

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 am

Guess it depends on how lucky your dice rolls are, but if the enemy can get close enough to your artillery then its not likely going to be pretty and you have a better chance at melee with a line unit then an artillery unit. Never run the max artillery since that one try.
Line troops can move faster and easier and fight up close better. I try to keep my lines tight with artillery tucked into the middle so it does not get picked on too badly but it still happens. I seem to roll worse than the Frenchies do with artillery dice although lately Blathergut has had some pretty dismal shooting himself.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:37 pm

deadtorius wrote:Guess it depends on how lucky your dice rolls are
:roll:
If you are unlucky then it doesn't ever matter.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 am

I've gone to FieldofGlory.com and checked the ToN errata, but don't see the revised divisional unit numbers mentioned. Did this actually ever get added to errata that was published?

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:51 pm

terrys wrote:I'll be updating divisional composition for use with lists in both ToN or EaE with the following:

Infantry division: At least 3 units, up to one of which may be field or horse artillery. No cavalry units are permitted.
Mixed division: At least 2 infantry units, plus either 1 or 2 cavalry units, plus up to 1 field or horse artillery unit.
Cavalry division: At least 2 cavalry units plus up to one horse artillery unit. No infantry units are permitted.

These compositions may only be modified by the specific lists special instructions.
Was this ever actually added in to the errata?

terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:45 pm

terrys wrote:
I'll be updating divisional composition for use with lists in both ToN or EaE with the following:

Infantry division: At least 3 units, up to one of which may be field or horse artillery. No cavalry units are permitted.
Mixed division: At least 2 infantry units, plus either 1 or 2 cavalry units, plus up to 1 field or horse artillery unit.
Cavalry division: At least 2 cavalry units plus up to one horse artillery unit. No infantry units are permitted.

These compositions may only be modified by the specific lists special instructions.

Was this ever actually added in to the errata?
These instructions are effectively identical to the entries on page 17 of the rule book.
I mistakenly thought that they'd already been added to the army list updates - so didn't check.

I'll insert the following and replace the ToN errata on the website.

 Page 158: COMPOSITION OF DIVISIONS:
2nd Bullet point:
INSERT “infantry and mixed” after “All”
6th Bullet point:
REPLACE “may contain any number of ” with “must contain at least 2
REPLACE: "PLUS" with "and MAY contain"

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:45 pm

That'll do it! It was a cavalry division requiring 3 units! That's much better how you have it now!! Thanks for the quick reply!!

Return to “Rules Questions”