ToN: Minima for Single Divisions

Moderators: hammy, Blathergut, terrys, Slitherine Core

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

ToN: Minima for Single Divisions

Post by shadowdragon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:14 pm

The rule for revised maxima and minima for single divisions (pg. 159 of ToN) is:

"The minima should be divided by 3 and rounded to the nearest whole number. Any minima reduced to less than half a unit (1 base for artillery and 2 bases for infantry or cavalry) should be ignored (and reduced to zero)."

Is the "any minima reduced to less than half a unit" applied before or after rounding off? From the order of the sentences I would assume after, but....

Consider the Army of Wurrttemberg 1809, which has normal minima (for the full corps) of two (2) 6pdr field artillery and two (2) 12pdr field / 6pdr horse artillery. Dividing by 3 and rounding off results in minima of 1 each for the 6 pdr field artillery and the 12pdr field / 6 pdr horse artillery which means a single (imported) division has to have 2 batteries of 2 bases (1 small unit of 6pdr field artillery and 1 small unit of 12pdr field / 6pdr horse artillery) since the artillery have to be in units of 2 bases. Yet, according to the composition of divisions on page 158 a division can have no more than 1 unit of artillery.

So, that means that:

1) Perhaps the consideration of minima reduced to less than half a unit is before rounding off; or
2) A single (imported) 1809 Wurttemberg division can have 2 units of artillery; or
3) You can't actually import an 1809 Wurttemberg division; or
4) I'm missing something....which isn't unusual. :lol:

panda2
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: ToN: Minima for Single Divisions

Post by panda2 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:39 pm

I don't think you're missing something. I think the natural reading of the text does produce the problems you highlight. Nevertheless, I think that the intention of the authors was that the answer should be option 1 on your list (see Terry's reply on this thread, for example, viewtopic.php?f=188&t=36258 ). The rounding to zero should therfore take place first and an initial minimum of 2 for artillery in a corps should become zero for a single division, just as a minimum of 4 for cavalry or infantry becomes zero.

Andy D

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:03 pm

panda2 wrote:I don't think you're missing something. I think the natural reading of the text does produce the problems you highlight. Nevertheless, I think that the intention of the authors was that the answer should be option 1 on your list (see Terry's reply on this thread, for example, viewtopic.php?f=188&t=36258 ). The rounding to zero should therfore take place first and an initial minimum of 2 for artillery in a corps should become zero for a single division, just as a minimum of 4 for cavalry or infantry becomes zero.

Andy D
Thanks for the link, Andy. Terry's wording does seem to indicate that the reduction to zero is before rounding. Therefore, only core artillery with a minimum of 3 or more and core infantry / cavalry with a minimum of 6 or more are compulsory. It's not really an issue for infantry / cavalry as a minimum of 4 divided by 3 and rounded to the nearest whole number is "1", which is less than a half unit of "2". I haven't seen any minimum of "5" for infantry / cavalry. So, it's really only a question for artillery since 2 divided by 3 and rounded to the nearest whole number is "1" which equals a half unit of "1" for artillery.

Paul

terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 pm

For infantry or cavalry a minimum of 4 rounds to 0, a minimum of 6 rounds to 4.
For artillery a minimum of 2 rounds to 0, a minimum of 3 rounds to 2.

Return to “Rules Questions”