Army Listg Question

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

alcibiades
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Army Listg Question

Post by alcibiades » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Our group of gamers on the Canadian prairies is set to embark upon our first game of FOG-N and I have a couple of questions about the Army Lists. These questions may have been previously asked and answered but I was unable to find anything on the forum. If I missed something either here or in the Rule Book, I apologise in advance.

Anyway, I'm looking at the French Infantry Corps, Autumn 1813 list. It specifies that the Corps is composed ofFrench Infantry divisions and 1 French Mixed division. The list also allows for one division, infantry or mixed, from a number of Allied lists (ie. Poles, Bavarians etc.). Does this mean that my Corps could have 2 French Infantry Divisions, 1 French Mixed Division and 1 Polish Mixed Division or, does the Polish Mixed Division count against the Corps' one Mixed Division?

Second, if I field the Polish Division, from which list does its Divisional commander come from? The French Autumn 1813 list allows for up to 4 divisional commanders, 2 of which may be exceptional. The Polish list also allows for an exceptional divisional commander. Does this mean my Corps could have 2 Exceptional French Division Generals and 1 Exceptional Polish General, or does the Polish General count against the Corps total?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm sure I'll have some more questions after Friday's game.

Cheers
Kent

bahdahbum
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Army Listg Question

Post by bahdahbum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:38 pm

I haven't got the army ist book with me but in essence yes : if one mixed division is possible, you can take it and so have 2 infantry division and one mixed division . The allied division obey's it's own rules . If the polish commander may be skilled, so it is ( but it will be very costly to hace many skilled generals ). if the allied division may be mixed, so it is and it is not taken into account for the FRENCH corps limitation as it is an allied division with it's own rules .

alcibiades

Post by alcibiades » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks very much for your thoughts. You have confirmed what I thought was the case. Also, thanks for your comments regarding the cost of command. From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, quality command is not usually necessary as there are rarely shortages of CPs. Is that your experience as well? I really hope that is not the case as I am looking for a rulesset that makes the player make difficult choices/command decisions.

Kent

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 pm

Ralying cost no CP . It is free . And anyway one general can only rally one unit / One trick is to have at least on comanding officer with a brigade in as many divisions as possible . They mat rally their own brigade . Having one skilled division commander may be a good idea especially if you think about flank marches

viperofmilan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by viperofmilan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:54 pm

Kent,

Our local FoG-N group here in central Maryland may be slow, but we tend to place a lot more value on having quality command than most on this forum appear to do. Could simply be different styles of play. Many appear to engage in more shooting matches than we do. We tend to get stuck in in our games - and this takes CPS; often lots of CPS. Collectively, we almost always run a skilled corps commander and at least one skilled division commander. I know I always do so - and I still often run out of CPs. Basically, the more maneuvering you are trying to do (especially any kind of controlled retrograde movement), and the more close and/or combined arms assaults you are trying to engineer, and the more prompted charges you must roll for, the more CPs you will need.

Just my $0.02.

Kevin

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:18 am

Don't forget that an allied commander costs 10 points less, but takes 2 command points from your Corps commander if in range and 3 command points if out of range. Always costs 1 extra command point to give a point to an allied commander. So I would recommend you use a skilled Corps commander at least.

Never ran an ally yet, but I did get some Russians this last weekend so one of these days Austria will have some Russian allies to help or hinder as the case may be.

In our own games we don't usually run into command point shortages too often, but it can happen. Worst case I have had is sending the points to one division then realizing I forgot that another division could have used an extra point or 2 and they are not there that turn. Blathergut likes to have his Corps commander leading one of his cavalry units in his cavalry division, but it cuts his command range and if in combat he can't issue points. However it has worked well for him with a built in quality increase and ability to rally. Take a charismatic commander if you can, that extra die can come in handy.

Return to “Rules Questions”