Assaulted artillery question.

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

trouvere
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Assaulted artillery question.

Post by trouvere » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:01 am

In a game yesterday the following situation arose and I just want to check that we dealt with it properly.

A prussian medium artillery found itself isolated and was charged by french heavy cavalry. The french were more than 4" away, so the prussians hads the option to stand and fire (then abandon guns before the charge hits home if necessary) and chose to do so.

The drilled prussians rolled two dice for their cohesion test needing 4+. In this case, the prussians failed and were forced to abandon guns without firing a shot, taking two steps of cohesion loss due to being assaulted by cavalry.

Was that done correctly? Did I forget anything?

The rules for artillery responding to charges are not the easiest to decipher. Any help would be massively appreciated.

trouvere

Re: Assaulted artillery question.

Post by trouvere » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:32 am

I see that the artillery should not have had the option to shoot and abandon guns, unless they were horse artillery who could evade after any shooting. They had no friendly infantry nearby.

They would have had to stand and fire (close range), possibly running (abandoning guns) as a result of a failed cohesion test.

BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Assaulted artillery question.

Post by BrettPT » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:56 pm

You did this correctly - and your 2nd post is also correct. Only horse artillery can 'shoot and scoot' (ie, if they pass their CT for being charged, fire at medium range then limber & evade).

Cheers
Brett

Return to “Rules Questions”