weird charge situation and artillery eventually

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

weird charge situation and artillery eventually

Post by deadtorius » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:58 am

Not sure we got this right in our last game or not so lets see what you all say.
I had a unit of superior light horse that charged a poor unit of light horse, won the combat and pursued full distance, right beside a unit of infantry who were facing forwards. In their turn the infantry turned to face my cav that was within 2 MU and disordered from the previous combat. My other unit of light cavalry charged the infantry who formed square and gave me 1 hit in combat so no cohesion loss for me. I had to pass through since I was steady. Was that part correct?

Pass through move was 3 MU, lousy die roll there :oops:

Opposite side of the square and directly in front of my cavalry and uphill was a small battery of med guns. (see I told you we would get to artillery eventually) 3 MU put my contact into the second half of my pass through move, so the combat occurs in the combat phase of the next turn and is treated like a normal charge. Now I am within 2 Mu of the artillery so their only option is to fire, is that correct?
Do they still have to test for being charged or does that only apply to shooting and abandoning (which is our understanding and how we played it)?

To put it mildly my cavalry got the worst of that situation and ended wavering caught between artillery to their front, a square to their rear and no where we could see that they could go. Original plan was for them to bounce and pull both units back to their infantry and commanders who were slowly (unreformed Austrians) moving up towards the enemy infantry.

I always find it odd that a couple thousand infantry charged in the open have to test or auto drop for being within 2 MU of charging cavalry but unless we are missing something, maybe 100 artillery men are pretty much immune to all charges for any cohesion losses.

pugsville
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: weird charge situation and artillery eventually

Post by pugsville » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:49 pm

I think they still test, "make any normal reaction move except fire". Doesn't your cavalry just toast the guns? 4 dice ( 6 down to 4 spent) hitting on 3's (+ for cavalry versus artillery) verus 4 dice (artillery just get 4) hitting on 5's (artillery always - in melee) highly likely to force the guns to be abandon, highly likely 3 hits to 1, get 4 hits guns destroyed, he gets 2-3 you get to 2-3 you recoil disordered. Whats so bad, ?

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Arty gets 2 extra dice for uphill, but still Superior cav should hopefully prevail. Square to rear so not much recoil room.
Biggest question was do the artillery test in this situation? We just let them shoot and that broke my cav :cry:

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Why would they not test for being charged?

pugsville

Post by pugsville » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:49 pm

They DONT fire. rules say "(if contacted in the second part of pursuit).. IN this case the new enemy contacted make any normal reaction to the assault, but may not fire.." (page 66 top right)

So they dont fire, they can abandon the guns or stand (I imagine must past the test to stand and fight rather than stand and shoot and possible fight, I imagine horse art hot by a pursuit/pass through 4MU+ would have the choice of limbering and evading) or thats how I read the rules.

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Darn it missed that no shooting part :evil:
I believe the nearest friends were more than 2 mu away so they could not abandon the guns, fight is their only option. Looks like I blew a chance at redeeming my rash charge.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:34 pm

we treated it as a charge instead of a pursuit...the cavalry moved more than half (1.5+ of 3MU pursuit) so the artillery reacted as if the target of a charge...stood and fired (I don't remember if it tested)

but pursuit, like it actually was, involves no shooting :cry:

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:23 am

they never tested and got a free shot..... :oops:

terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys » Fri May 02, 2014 11:09 am

they never tested and got a free shot..... :oops:
Oops indeed....Always a problem when other units are ahead of your artillery.

Return to “Rules Questions”