Recovery while in contact?

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

joaquin9
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Recovery while in contact?

Post by joaquin9 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Is it possible to make recover rolls for a unit that is in contact with the enemy? I can´t locate any prohibition against it in the rules. The rules mention that commanders can´t try to recovery troops while they are leading a unit in combat, but that leaves the door open to recovery from commanders not involved in the melee...
In the game I am playing, I have allowed this recovery in contact, and I can tell you it makes defending buildings extremely easy, and melees in buildings to take ages... I think it can´t be right.

SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Recovery while in contact?

Post by SirGarnet » Mon May 19, 2014 10:02 am

I think you may be thinking of the first bullet on p44, stating that a commander cannot expend Command Points if the unit he is with is in contact with enemy. Recovery does not require Command Points, which are employed for assault and movement.

EDIT: To be clear, yes, a commander can recover the unit he is with in combat. I don't understand your point below.
Last edited by SirGarnet on Mon May 19, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

joaquin9

Post by joaquin9 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:12 pm

No, recovery is not a CMT, it never requires CPs. It´s just a "free" action of every commander at the end of the turn.

Edit: Well, it seems odd to me that a unit can recover a cohesion state while it is involved in close combat. It goes against usual conventions in games of this period (once in melee or very close contact, the situation order of your troops can only get worst, never better). I just need a confirmation.

terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Given that a unit represents multiple battalions, squadrons or batteries, it's not unreasonable that while a part of the unit may be in combat, the rest of that unit could recover some or most of its cohesion.

Another reason is for play balance - It gives the attacker a significant advantage if he can recover his cohesion before the defender can.
If we don't allow a pursuing unit to recover, they will often be destroyed before they get chance to take advantage of their breakthrough.
We want to encourage offensive moves rather than discourage them.

For a next version of the rules we're looking spending of surplus CPs to improve recovery of units. A commander in contact would not have this option. For now, the current rules works OK for what we want to achieve.

Return to “Rules Questions”