Create maps?

iOS, X360, PS3, PC and Android. Historical role playing strategy game set during the hundred years war.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

delusan
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Create maps?

Post by delusan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:01 pm

The product description of Great Battles Medieval states "The game supports modded campaigns. You can create new maps covering any area you like, even fantasy maps." Just to be certain ... does this mean that campaign and tactical battle maps can be created from scratch?

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Hmmm - I'm not sure of how it finally ended up working. I know we had code in to allow heightmap-style campaign maps (which is what I think it was refering to). But I'm not sure if it made it into the final code. Let me check...

Yes - there does seem to be code in there to take a flat user map with a custom texture in a modded campaign, and a height texture to allow for hills etc. So you could build your own campaign map visuals, and then use the same files as the game for setting up the areas etc. The battle maps are hand built and exported into Granny format, so it's not practical to create those.

Cheers

Pip

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:17 am

The campaign map is just a texture. You can modify the texture to change the map and change it to a fantasy setting.

You'd need to edit the zones as well and then set up the campaign script to create the batles at teh correct time. You can have a linear story if you want or a branching tree - its totally up to you.

Missions would then need to be designed. You can use the included map editor for this and use existing maps or as Phil described create new maps. All it needs is a height map and teture for a new map but this is modding rather than scenario design so more work.

delusan

Post by delusan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Thank you for the clarification. I'm interested in what I believe is sometimes called 'sandbox mode' ... that is, making my own tactical map with a built-in map editor, placing some units and doing battle.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:47 pm

You can create a sandbox campaign. Probably easiest to use the multiplayer sandbox campaign as a template. Then replace teh scenarios with the ones you want to use. They can be created witht eh editor. You can place troops, sepcify their levels, equipment, skills etc in teh editor. You can give them basic move orders in teh editor too. More advanced instructiosn can be given via the scripts. These are very powerful but much more involved.

delusan

Post by delusan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:20 pm

OK - bought the game -v.102. Attempting the tutorial, but all the terrain(grass?) is black. Installed the latest Nvidia drivers, but no change in the terrain color. Running Vista 32-bit, Nvidia GeForce 8500GT. Help!

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Try turning off things on the initial options screen and see which of them (if any) fix the issue.

Did this happen before you updated your drivers? We've seen some odd bugs in later drivers for older cards (the 8500 is what, 4 or 5 years old now?) so bizarrely it might help to roll back to older drivers if you can't find a solution.

Cheers

Pip

delusan

Post by delusan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Changed the game settings from 1680X1050 32 bpp to 1084X786 16 bpp, and appears to be working fine now.

Return to “HISTORY™ Great Battles Medieval”