Australian Championships at Cancon, Canberra, January 2015

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Tyler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Australian Championships at Cancon, Canberra, January 2015

Post by Tyler »

Blurb: The League of Ancients and the Monday Knights wargaming clubs are proud to present the Field of Glory Napoleonic Australian Championship.

This will be an 800 point tournament of five rounds over three days, the 24th-26th January 2015, with two rounds on the first two days and one on the last. Rounds will be three and a half hours long, with play beginning at 9:30am each day. Player’s lists are to be chosen from the Field of Glory Napoleonic supplements Emperors and Eagles, and Triumph of Eagles, taking into account the errata available at http://www.fieldofglory.com/fog_nap

Lists must be emailed to the organiser at absolutelyaveragewargamer@gmail.com by 18th January at the latest, but earlier entry is appreciated to allow an estimate of numbers to be made.

Organiser: Tyler Jefferson

Contact email: absolutelyaveragewargamer@gmail.com

Entry Fee: $60.00 (Standard Cancon entry fee)

Max Spaces: 30

On day entry allowed: No

Sponsored by: Eureka Miniatures eurekamin.com.au

You can find details, updates and online entry here: http://www.cgs.asn.au/cancon/tournaments-2/
Last edited by Tyler on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Saxonian
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Australian Championships at Cancon, Canberra, January 20

Post by Saxonian »

I'm in!!! :mrgreen:

Will the format be scenarios and pre-set terrain, or the basic "back of the book" meeting engagement?
Will the players need to provide any terrain?
Tyler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tyler »

Glad to have you!

Wasn't planning on doing scenarios no. Largely because of the issue of acquiring enough terrain, and transporting it to Canberra. I may be using some of the League of Ancients' terrain, but obviously can't take all of it, and some terrain has been volunteered by players. But it's much easier to have a pool of some terrain there for players to use when setting up as laid out in the rulebook, with players having the option to bring specific pieces themselves if they have a strategy that needs them.

Without knowing in advance how many players we'll have, or how much terrain is available, I hesitate to lock myself into set tables.

That, and it looks like the League of Ancients tournament that Richard Gordon began in Melbourne will become an annual tradition (and why not, since it was such a success with 24 players!) so I thought that Australia already has one annual scenario-based tournament. Cancon could be the annual standard-format event, if it were a success.

So, long story short, standard game format, players are encouraged to bring terrain if able, but it's not compulsory. There may be further discussion on that if we get a good turnout of 20+ players, but there's plenty of time between now and then, and plenty of options if there's any shortage.
Bar853
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bar853 »

Sorry, can't resist any longer. Don't you mean CANCON 2015. Otherwise I will need to invest in a time machine. On another note is it only for 15mm or can 28mm get a look in?
Tyler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tyler »

Bar853 wrote:Sorry, can't resist any longer. Don't you mean CANCON 2015. Otherwise I will need to invest in a time machine.
Yes, yes I did. Edited accordingly.
Bar853 wrote:On another note is it only for 15mm or can 28mm get a look in?
Afraid that everyone I know playing in Australia is using 15-18mm. As I don't fancy running two separate events, I have to cater for the scale that I know I've got interested players for.
Bar853
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bar853 »

Understandable. I play 28mm FOGN but live in the NT. I got down for CANCON 2013 as a spectator and am looking for an excuse to participate in 2015. Thanks
richafricanus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by richafricanus »

Well Bar853 (sounds like a Star Wars character) if 15mm army availability is your only constraint, we may be able to lend you one for the tournament.
pugsville
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by pugsville »

Bump. Just raising the thread to remind people the tournament is on and to some entries in. Do we want some as yet unknown new zealander to came and take all the glory?
geoff
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by geoff »

Already signed up and madly painting my 1815 Prussians for the tournament. Only had a handful of games ( using substituted figures - I feel dirty ) but am loving it.
Philip
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Philip »

I have just signed up. Will most likely bring the German Confederation 1814.

Any other NZers planning on going?
Philip
BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by BrettPT »

I'm tempted ...
Brett
richafricanus

Post by richafricanus »

That's not the same as going... :D
KeefM
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by KeefM »

Tempting though it is, the timing is out by a week for me - so I won't be there. But, I will be in Melbourne the week afterwards :-)
Tyler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tyler »

Sorry to hear that, KeefM.

So far we've got half a dozen people actually signed up and paid. At least as menu others have said they'll be there or may be, but haven't signed up yet. I'm told to expect a lot of last minute signups, we'll see. But so far pretty good for the first year that FOGN has been put on at Cancon.
KendallB
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by KendallB »

You Aussies have an excellent skill at putting on a tournament on the weekend before I have to start back at school!
Tyler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tyler »

KendallB wrote:You Aussies have an excellent skill at putting on a tournament on the weekend before I have to start back at school!
It's actually an elaborate conspiracy between us and all of your loved ones.
Tyler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tyler »

Hey all,

The organisers would like to get a read on how many people will be attending, so if you're planning to come, please register online as soon as possible. Online registration is here: http://www.cgs.asn.au/cancon/tournaments-2/
sonic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by sonic »

Is there likely to be anymore than those currently registed on the Cancon 2105 site? I ask because I am currently registered for a different competition with only a few players and I am considering changing but i don't want to do that if I would be changing to a comp with even less players?
Tyler
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tyler »

Yes. I know some people who are certain that they are coming, but haven't registered yet. As in, they've booked hotel rooms and flights, but haven't registered for the tournament. And my experience running tournaments in the past has been that the majority of registrations come in the last week before the deadline, or after the deadline. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is.

This is the first year running the event at Cancon, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm confident there will be enough people to make it viable, though, and definitely more than are signed up now.
sonic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by sonic »

Thanks, I will arrange to change my registration then with the organisers. I had seen some advice from other competitions that regos should be in as soon as possible because there is a finite limit to the total numbers that can be accommodated.

Return to “Tournaments, Demos & Opponents”