HistorX 2

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: HistorX 2

Post by b20f08 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:32 pm

Yes, on second day scenarios. Will get back to you on 'bring your own terrain' question by the end of the week as I'm need to stocktake on available terrain within the club.

Lawrence

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:24 pm

Double post.

geoff
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by geoff » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:30 am

Having to bring terrain is a bit of an issue for those of us flying. Hopefully most can be splied at the venue.

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:13 pm

True enough. I am leaving the option up to players who want to do so. But the club will have enough terrain, so don't fret.

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:55 am

Update: scenarios and maps now available. Cheers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15ok1jmw44r4b ... 1.pdf?dl=0

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:15 am

Hi all. Just a reminder that there's six weeks to go before the event kicks off. Early Bird registration has been extended through to 9 October if not already aware of the recent amendments to the general information pack. Ticket now includes a meal voucher for an all-you-can-chow menu. As they say, an army marches better on a full stomach. :D

KeefM
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by KeefM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:59 am

Lawrence,

Put me down for 1 x ticket. I'll pay you on the day (only landing in Oz the day beforehand).

When/how do you want army lists ?

ta muchly,

Keef

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:12 am

Hi Keith
No worries. Lists can be submitted now or before 11 Oct. Cheers

adonald
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by adonald » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi Lawrence

As with Keith, please put me down for a ticket too as I will be arriving in Oz at the same time. Will pay on the day.

Thanks

Alastair Donald
Auckland

KeefM

Post by KeefM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Looking forward to it !!!

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:43 am

Looking forward to meeting up too. No worries Alastair regarding ticket. Out of curiosity, what list are you bringing?

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:33 am

Updated the General Information player's pack with a few date amendments. Includes contact email for submitting lists. Cheers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9j7un3drhm2vr ... 2.pdf?dl=0

KeefM

Post by KeefM » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:34 pm

Great stuff . . . thanks Lawrence ! No avoiding decision-time for an actual mix for the Russians now :D . . . you'll get a list from me in the next week !

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:55 pm

:D Great. Look forward to it.

KeefM

Post by KeefM » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:52 am

The scenarios look really cool ! Really cool !

Having finally gotten around to reading these through, I have a few minor questions:

1. Scenarios 1, 2, 4 & 6 have ‘objectives’ listed but with no corresponding advantages in the scoring (eg in Kolditz, capture and hold the enemy forward outposts, or in Vorenburg, the defender holding the sunken road, etc). Does succeeding in meeting the objective count as ‘winning’ the game (ie get the 5 bonus pts for the win) ? Or are these objectives just to add some more ‘colour’ to the game ? (Plus, for me, in Vorenburg it’s also a bit unclear as to what exactly the objective was for the attacker.)

2. In Map 1: Bridging The River, the text says there are 3 crossings (2 bridges and a ford) but the actual map shows only 2 bridges. Is there a ford ?

3. Map 4: Vorenburg has the attacker deploy their artillery only on the hills on the south side of the river. Can artillery, whether attacker or defender, ever leave their hills (this would seem to mean that the attacker’s artillery is really out of the game cos it will be always out of range) ? Also, given there seem to be no ways to cross the river on the map, when the attacker’s artillery deploys on the south hills it will be effectively out of the game (with a range of 16MU, it won’t ever be able to get to a position to fire at the defender). Have I read that right ?

4. Also in Map 4: Vorenburg is the sunken road the one that runs from the defenders right and across the front of their deployment zone ? Will that count as a ‘gully’ ? Or is it just a normal road with no effect on movement/cover etc ?

5. In Map 6: Kolditz do all of a divisions units come on all in the same turn that their division arrives ? Also, do the arriving divisions units start moving onto the table anywhere from the rear edge of their deployment zone ?

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:24 am

KeefM wrote:The scenarios look really cool ! Really cool !

Having finally gotten around to reading these through, I have a few minor questions:

1. Scenarios 1, 2, 4 & 6 have ‘objectives’ listed but with no corresponding advantages in the scoring (eg in Kolditz, capture and hold the enemy forward outposts, or in Vorenburg, the defender holding the sunken road, etc). Does succeeding in meeting the objective count as ‘winning’ the game (ie get the 5 bonus pts for the win) ? Or are these objectives just to add some more ‘colour’ to the game ? (Plus, for me, in Vorenburg it’s also a bit unclear as to what exactly the objective was for the attacker.)

2. In Map 1: Bridging The River, the text says there are 3 crossings (2 bridges and a ford) but the actual map shows only 2 bridges. Is there a ford ?

3. Map 4: Vorenburg has the attacker deploy their artillery only on the hills on the south side of the river. Can artillery, whether attacker or defender, ever leave their hills (this would seem to mean that the attacker’s artillery is really out of the game cos it will be always out of range) ? Also, given there seem to be no ways to cross the river on the map, when the attacker’s artillery deploys on the south hills it will be effectively out of the game (with a range of 16MU, it won’t ever be able to get to a position to fire at the defender). Have I read that right ?

4. Also in Map 4: Vorenburg is the sunken road the one that runs from the defenders right and across the front of their deployment zone ? Will that count as a ‘gully’ ? Or is it just a normal road with no effect on movement/cover etc ?

5. In Map 6: Kolditz do all of a divisions units come on all in the same turn that their division arrives ? Also, do the arriving divisions units start moving onto the table anywhere from the rear edge of their deployment zone ?
Cheers on the feedback for the map scenarios. Much appreciated. I'm adding a revised map scenario pdf (see link below), but I'll try and answer them here briefly:

1. The scoring objective for Map 1 is capture opposing LOS. The fact that you have to do so by crossing an obstacle is the real intent of this map. The scoring objective for Map 2 is straightforward: victory is totalled from game play. The 'colour' provided is using blind markers and a limited LOS scope. The scoring objective for Map 4 hinges on GS4; whoever 'owns it' at game's end is the winner; the situation is also straightforward. The advantage clearly lies with the defender (higher ground, sunken road/wall, clear LOS to most approaches); for the assaulter, it's many - crossing the bridges/pontoon, passing through the town, crossing the canal, deploying into battle formation within close proximity of your opponent, the sunken road/wall, the layered defense. One advantage for the attacker is that they're able to use the south bank of the river to enfilade the defenders behind the sunken wall without fear of a cavalry charge.

2. My bad. Forgot to add the ford.

3. There are two bridges south of town that cross the river. There is also the pontoon bridge further 'west'. Thanks for pointing out the deficiency in clarifying the role of the artillery (both sides but mainly the attacker). Yes, the artillery for both sides may redeploy anywhere and anytime after their initial deployment (refer to updated pdf). The artillery for the attacker especially will indeed suffer a problem if deploying from bottom table edge. But there is that space up the right side of the map that they can use to pressure the defenders, especially around the sunken road/wall area.
Likewise, for the defenders, it's not impossible that they might deploy forward of their initial positions. Historically they didn't because it wasn't to their advantage to do so; and the onus was on the attacker really. Anyway, artillery may redeploy after initial deployment and once game starts.

4. The sunken road/wall has been highlighted in the updated pdf. It's value is such that it raises the penalty - by 1 - on the attacker for firing and assaulting. I considered making it a gully but then when I looked at pictures of the sunken road recently, I figured that it might be too generous to the attacker (if that makes sense from the standpoint that physically looking down on a defender certainly aids the attacker if firing or assaulting), so I've chosen to increase the penalty to the attacker for assaulting such a position. Hopefully it'll make for an interesting 'incident' game-time.

5. The Kolditz scenario is also answered via the pdf. But basically, each division 'arrives' in its turn within its respective deployment zone entirely and fully deployed.

Hopefully that's helped answer some of your questions. Cheers.

The updated map scenario pdf: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v27ldriyx2cbr ... 2.pdf?dl=0

KeefM

Post by KeefM » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanks Lawrence !

Bags I get to defend in Vorenburg :D !!

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:32 am

KeefM wrote:Thanks Lawrence !
Bags I get to defend in Vorenburg :D !!
Lol. That, my friend, is in the lap of the dice gods. I hear they're partial to some persuasion nectar of the Gods! :)

KeefM

Post by KeefM » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:56 am

Booze and cash :D :D . . .

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:59 am

Ran one of the scenario earlier in the week - Kazimierz. It ran easily enough: there is nothing extraordinary about this map. But it was a good refresher for both myself and my opponent, as we've been busy with another club campaign of late.
Anyway, we're planning to run Vorenburg within the next week, followed by Ostankinksy. And there's still room for more players, if anyone is sitting on the fence. :D

One more thing: any word on when version 2 of the rules is due for release?

Return to “Tournaments, Demos & Opponents”