HistorX 2

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: HistorX 2

Post by b20f08 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:59 pm

It's finally October. Countdown to HistorX II. Between now and the event, hoping to playtest a few of the scenarios. Later on today (it's 2.58am local time), I'll be playing Vorenburg using my Austrians against the barbaric Gallic horde. :) Will post a couple of pics from the game.

KeefM
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by KeefM » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:28 am

<* jealous of your ability to play toy soldiers *>

. . . the 1812 Russian Infantry Corps are all sorted out and packed away into boxes for their international adventure, but they won't see any 'game time' until Brisbane. Heck, I won't even have deployed them before the very first game there either ! Talk about chronically under-prepared :D :D . . . that'll be my excuse anyhows :D !

Can't wait . . .

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:55 am

KeefM wrote:<* jealous of your ability to play toy soldiers *>

. . . the 1812 Russian Infantry Corps are all sorted out and packed away into boxes for their international adventure, but they won't see any 'game time' until Brisbane. Heck, I won't even have deployed them before the very first game there either ! Talk about chronically under-prepared :D :D . . . that'll be my excuse anyhows :D !

Can't wait . . .
Lol. I expect them to leap out of their packing case all afire with patriotic fervour. :D

As for playing toy soldiers before the event, I rationale it like this: A = Z + X. Or something like it. It would silly of me not to test these out, mate. Do you not recall the Bob Semple tank?

We play tested Vorenburg last night. But we did it with certain handicaps. First was the scale: we used 20mm instead of 15mm. Secondly: we found a problem with the spacing (I only have an 8 by 4 table in my man cave). It was therefore very congested for the Austrians (me) trying to deploy through the town across the canal. My opponent, playing French, just watched for two moves bemused and amused at my antics. By the time I managed to get my attack force across the canal, I was literally sharing garlic soup with the Froggies!! :) They were already massing to slam into me from the flanks - cuirassiers on the one flank and light infantry on the other.
Out by the pontoon I had placed my cavalry. Their purpose was straightforward: get into a position to roll up the enemy flank. But they were being blocked by a second French cavalry force (part of my opponent's mixed division).
The artillery I had despatched to flank fire the sunken road served no real useful purpose with their long-range firing. The closest targets were the Cuirassier units, which were large anyway.

The week before we had run the Polish map Kazimierz. For some reason, all my Polish maps thus far have been bare open ones. This was played using 15mm, courtesy of Bryce Simons, one of those attending. Spanish 1813 vs Austro-Hungarian 1809. It was a fairly straightforward contest with much of the action developing around the central position with the road passing over the hill. One of the Spanish divisions was effectively out of action for the early part of the game and didn't make its presence felt until the action in the centre had dissolved when the Austrians broke through the Spanish line at the base of the hill, and had effectively destroyed an artillery battery and broke one of the line infantry units. The cavalry elements were evenly matched out on the left centre (as looking from the Austrian side) until they made contact. The Spanish unfortunately were beaten several times and looked to be in considerable disarray.

That's it briefly. Will be running Ostankinsky within the next week or so. And maybe one more before the event kicks off.
Last edited by b20f08 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:57 am

Further to the Vorenburg scenario. Don't be surprised if the map has changed somewhat. I will post an updated copy here and elsewhere by Tuesday (long weekend here in Brisbane), along with explanations of the changes. Cheers.

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:00 am

One other sponsor I forgot to mention is providing $100 prize vouchers for the winners.

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:08 am

Just a reminder that the early bird price ends on the 9th October. Thereafter, it goes up. See Info pack for price (it hasn't changed through the various editions posted).

Also, lists need to be submitted by 11 October; this is a hurry up to those committed to attending! Again, refer to the Info pack for details. Cheers.

KeefM

Post by KeefM » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:30 am

um . . . I've got another dumb question about the scenarios :shock: . . .

Do the normal deployment restrictions (only skirmishers are able to leave the deployment area, etc, etc) apply to the 'defender' for the first 2 moves in each scenario ? In most of the scenarios it seems like the 'defender' shouldn't have those normal restrictions.

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:42 pm

KeefM wrote:um . . . I've got another dumb question about the scenarios :shock: . . .

Do the normal deployment restrictions (only skirmishers are able to leave the deployment area, etc, etc) apply to the 'defender' for the first 2 moves in each scenario ? In most of the scenarios it seems like the 'defender' shouldn't have those normal restrictions.
No, it's a valid question. Our playing group deviates from the standard format prescribed in the FoGN rules. The ruling for this event is that normal rules applies for all free boards (standard game) and scenario driven boards except the Vorenburg one where the defender cannot advance beyond the centreline of the table for the two moves.

Updated player pack info and map scenario. Only change is to the Vorenburg one whereby the map was modified to enable more space between the canal and the sunken road. The distance between the main ground of the sunken road/canal and the pontoon bridge was shortened to enable this flank to be more involved in the game.

Links to dropbox files
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1utua1n90zpps ... 3.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lh5v5pcwl07fz ... 3.pdf?dl=0

Also, the prizes for this event are extremely generous, perhaps over-the-top for the numbers likely to attend. But my rationale for this extravagance is like this: my event, my call! Besides, these really cost me nothing as it's been the generosity of the prize sponsors who have donated these prizes simply because I asked. Not that the winners won't be complaining as they'll be heading home with some nice prizes. Just an idea: the top three place getters will receive in total around $500 worth of prizes. For two days gaming, and only four games, that's a nice weekend of gaming. Am hoping the next HistorX event (next October) for FoGN will see a greater turnout; by then, version 2 should be well out.

Cheers.

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:49 pm

After further thought, I have decided that the Cancon prize must go to a Queenslander, and not to whomever wins the event (unless they're from Queensland). Apologies if this might have mislead a few. In all fairness, a couple from Queensland are probably able to acquit themselves well against the really good tournament players. But if there's no incentive to improve, through the playing at tournaments, then it defeats the purpose of having locals attend such events.

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:36 am

Some stats for this upcoming event, using the lists submitted thus far.

19% of all cavalry are Heavy cavalry
64% of all attachments are artillery
50% of the total divisions are infantry divisions
15% of all divisions are entirely cavalry
30% of all divisions are mixed (inf and cav)
5% of all total divisions are allied & mixed
40% of the total corps attending comprise 4 divisions; the remainder will be 3 divisions
25% of total units are large units
All the division commanders are competent with at least 10% of them Charismatic and 5% are Allied

Places are still open. Price is $45. Late lists will be accepted if entering between now and the day with no penalty.

geoff
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by geoff » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:09 am

How about unreformed armies? Am I the only one?

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:57 am

geoff wrote:How about unreformed armies? Am I the only one?
No, mate. Two other armies are entirely unreformed - one Iberian, the other Central European.

KeefM

Post by KeefM » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:48 am

SOON !!

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:19 am

KeefM wrote:SOON !!
Indeed. Am personally looking forward to seeing some awesome FoGN-ing tomorrow and Sunday. See you all there at 8am sharp!

Weather prediction: it's looking to be a busy storm season up here in SE Qld. Had a doozy last night (although I slept right through it). Lucky the event is indoors. :)

Just a quick reminder that the event will also be sharing the same hall as other events - W40K and AoS (Age of Sigmar) - over the weekend.

There will be cheap water and fizzies made available (and I mean cheap). Of course, there is a bar next door. And I believe hot drinks can be had from the cafeteria/meal area)\. Last year it was free.

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:41 am

Results from the event that ended today. Everyone who showed up won a prize! Thanks again especially to Keith and Alasdair from coming all the way over from NZ. I really learned much about play from Keith. Al was excellent company and I enjoyed his insights in Aged Pensioner housing. ;) And Geoff...almost but not quite there buddy. Thanks to Paul: your valued comments and criticisms on the scenarios are already on board and will help to refine them for next time.

Know that bridge and river/choke points and fighting in built-up areas is an area of FoGN that seems under-utilised. And to that end, I am happy that it caused a few of you grief to deal with.

Finally, next year we're hoping to open it up to both 15mm and 28mm again. Apparently, there is a greater number of 28mm players who are keen to come onboard for FoGN. Well, I'm hoping to put that confidence to the test for the next time (HX 4).

Thanks again to the local lads - Clint, who turned up even though he should have spent it in bed and recuperating from his illness. And Bryce is a real champion. He actually performed well against Keith for much of the game. Well done, mate.

geoff
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by geoff » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:46 pm

Fantastic comp Lawrence. Prizes were first class! I thoroughly enjoyed all my games. Yes, even being massacred by Keith as he showed me what it takes to win a tournament :)

Geoff

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:45 am

geoff wrote:Fantastic comp Lawrence. Prizes were first class! I thoroughly enjoyed all my games. Yes, even being massacred by Keith as he showed me what it takes to win a tournament :)

Geoff
Thanks Geoff. Pleasure having you.

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:01 am

EDIT: Updated images (too big first time). Correction to both Geoff's (thanks Marty) and Bryce's lists.

The player's lists.

Keith M.

Geoff C.

Paul R.

Al D.

Clint R.

Bryce S.
Last edited by b20f08 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marty
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by marty » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:05 am

Wish I had been able to make it.

I think you may have posted Keef's list twice rather than Geoff's list.

Martin

b20f08
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by b20f08 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:25 am

marty wrote:Wish I had been able to make it.

I think you may have posted Keef's list twice rather than Geoff's list.

Martin
Thanks. Post edited and updated.

Maybe next time?

Return to “Tournaments, Demos & Opponents”