Turkish Fortifications

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Turkish Fortifications

Post by BrettPT » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:47 pm

The various Turkish army lists in E&E say that "All artillery marked as Immobile MUST be deployed in fieldworks."
In ToN, the Turkish list states "Heavy artillery and mortors marked as immobile* must always be deployed in fieldworks (points already added). They may not be moved."

The rules on page 98, terrain set-up, state "The defender places any field fortifications...The attacker may not place any field fortifications"

It seems pretty clear to me that a Turkish army that wins the initiative cannot place fortifications and therefore loses its immobile artillery. Is this correct?
Justification would be that the army is taking the offensive and the heavy guns are left behind to the rear. Seems fair enough.

However in practical terms this prohibits a player fielding Turkish heavy artillery in an E&E list (initiative level 2), as the chance of winning initiative and losing your guns is too great (IMO).

Perhaps we might see a heavy battery take the field in a ToN list, which has a initiative of 0. Still a significant risk however that you will lose 58-87 points from your army every 3rd game or so... so perhaps not worth fielding in that list either.

1. Mike, is this intentional? If not, would it be worth some sort of errata (perhaps deploy the guns without fortifications if you win the initiative?).

2. Also, if the artillery cannot be deployed because you are the attacker, I assume that it does not count as lost, however is it still taken into consideration in working out your ACV, or is the ACB re-calculated to exclude the battery?

Cheers
Brett

terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Re: Turkish Fortifications

Post by terrys » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 am

The rules on page 98, terrain set-up, state "The defender places any field fortifications...The attacker may not place any field fortifications"

It seems pretty clear to me that a Turkish army that wins the initiative cannot place fortifications and therefore loses its immobile artillery. Is this correct?
I think this is one for an errata....Where fortifications are compulsary they should be able to be place immediately following LOCs and defender placed fortifications but any 'real' troops are placed.

BrettPT

Post by BrettPT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks Terry
Three Ottoman heavy artillery models have just been promtoed up the painting list!

MikeHorah
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by MikeHorah » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:23 pm

terrys wrote:

I think this is one for an errata....Where fortifications are compulsary they should be able to be place immediately following LOCs and defender placed fortifications but any 'real' troops are placed.
Yes I agree this is " wrinkle " we did not foresee when the rules first came out and a rare case where the lists have to drive the rules! It will affect Toulon as well I suspect altough there we argue that it is probably best done as a scenario.

It is also a point Terry that where fortifications are mandatory for immobile batterries they coud be seen as integral to and part of those units? Since no other units can be deployed behind them. That said fortificatison ought to be on the table before other mobile units.

Return to “Army Design”