French Corps D’Observation.

Moderators: hammy, Blathergut, terrys, Slitherine Core

Rekila
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

French Corps D’Observation.

Post by Rekila » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:25 am

Putting up an army for the Battle of Medina de Rioseco, using the French Corps D’Observation list (pag160 Emperors and Eagles) I found two problems. First on Page 160 second bullet says that “mixed divisions MUST not be used” but last one says that “In mixed divisions , attachments MUST be allocated….” So I assume that second bullet is incorrect.
Second question, Provisional infantry regiments have only 6 bases units but minimum are 4 (average) and 8 (poor), that means a minimum of two or three units ? Thanks in advance

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: French Corps D’Observation.

Post by deadtorius » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:07 pm

First question I think they copied and pasted the whole end section about attachments so I think you are correct it is an error.

As for the second part the odd numbering is if you use this list as an allied part of another army I believe. If using as allied you divide minimums by 3 or something like that so likely you can't take any average Provisonal troops.

As for your minimums in a standard list looks like you will have to take 1 unit of average and at least two units of poor. Nappy was definitely going for the dregs at this time alright.

Anyway thats how I think its supposed to work. Never tried an ally yet so never bothered to figure out the whole allied thing, but its listed in the rear of the book on page 173.
Good luck with your army

Rekila
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Rekila » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks. At Medina Lasalle division has mounted and infantry troops: 17e Prov, 18e Prov, 10e Chasseurs, 22e Chasseurs, so that’s why I suppose that mixed divisions can be used.

terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:58 am

Putting up an army for the Battle of Medina de Rioseco, using the French Corps D’Observation list (pag160 Emperors and Eagles) I found two problems. First on Page 160 second bullet says that “mixed divisions MUST not be used” but last one says that “In mixed divisions , attachments MUST be allocated….” So I assume that second bullet is incorrect.
Second question, Provisional infantry regiments have only 6 bases units but minimum are 4 (average) and 8 (poor), that means a minimum of two or three units ? Thanks in advance

We've already noted the problem with the provisional infantry minimums. The errata will change the minimums to 6 for both average and poor.

Deadtorious is correct that is was cut and pasted as a standard entry for all French commanders of that period and is not incorrect, just somewhat superfluous.
My information is that Lasalles 'division' at Medina was a cavalry brigade (1 large unit plus artillery attachment), and that the 17th and 18th provisional regiments were in Verdiers division. Given that this is such a small battle (less than 15,000 men), some upscaling is probably required, which could justify making Lasalles brigade into a division of 2 regiments plus artillery attachment.

Return to “Army Design”