Horror Stories

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

DaiSho
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Horror Stories

Post by DaiSho » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:35 am

Ok, I'll start...

I had a BG of 8 Offensive Spear 3 ranks deep (2 ranks of 3 rear rank of two for casualties). I was charged by a BG of Lance armed cavalry who were disordered as they were in a 'Brush'.

On impact, I roll 6 dice advantaged he rolls 4 dice disadvantaged.

How many hits did he get? 4. How many do I get? None!

I then go fragmented!

Ian
Viking (15mm)
Syracusan (15mm)
Palmyran (10mm - 15mm basing)
Horse Nomad (15mm)

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:37 am

Stop showing off.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:23 am

Ouch!

Even assuming he is superior with a general that is still very unlikely.

I make it 1.56% for you to miss with all 6 dice, 3.90% for him to hit with all 4 dice so 0.06% of that combat result.

Fragmenting would need a roll of 5 or less so 27.6% which makes an overall 0.02% chance or 1 on 5900. Good show :D

Interestingly that is about the same chance as 2 5-1s and a 6-1 in DBM ;)

paulcummins
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by paulcummins » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:49 am

8 Heavily Armoured MAA shot at by 16 bow superior bow - 3 hits, 1 dead, disrupted.
4 of the same smack into 8 of the same superior unarmoured, unarmed bowmen, in melee - 8 dice needing 5s, 7 hits. Twice.
Goodbye MAA.
8 Ghulams facing off against 12 LB in the rough.
LB bounce the Ghulams, killing one. So the Ghulams have another go and kill all the LB.

This was one battle.

The next game LF crossbowmen shoot 2 BGs of Longbow to shreds, and then knights run down 2 bgs of Longbow in the rough.
which pretty much breaks the army in about an hour and a quarter.

that was in the same comp.

that was true horror.

DaiSho

Post by DaiSho » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:55 am

hammy wrote:Ouch!

Even assuming he is superior with a general that is still very unlikely.

I make it 1.56% for you to miss with all 6 dice, 3.90% for him to hit with all 4 dice so 0.06% of that combat result.

Fragmenting would need a roll of 5 or less so 27.6% which makes an overall 0.02% chance or 1 on 5900. Good show :D

Interestingly that is about the same chance as 2 5-1s and a 6-1 in DBM ;)
You know... that's exactly what I said at the time.

I think the conversation went something like 'Well done old chap. Did you know the chances of that result is 1:5900?'

To make matters worse, along the entire battle line things didn't get much better. Going by your stats Hammy, I think I must have had something in the order of 25,000 Chinamen notched on my belt! Serves myself right I suppose.

Anyway - if for no other reason than several similar disasters, the Vikings are going to have a break for a little while :)

Ian
Viking (15mm)
Syracusan (15mm)
Horse Nomad (15mm)

recharge
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by recharge » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:29 am

Classical Indians vs Romans

Three straight "1's" for death rolls. Pick up three elephant BG's. There goes the battle.

Indians are still sulking in the case :oops:

John

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:58 am

Can you pass your luck on to your cricketers Daisho ?

DaiSho

Post by DaiSho » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:59 am

recharge wrote:Classical Indians vs Romans

Three straight "1's" for death rolls. Pick up three elephant BG's. There goes the battle.

Indians are still sulking in the case :oops:

John
Yes, that actually shows a point about statistics. My 1:5900 chance of happening sounds a lot worse than your 1:216 chance of happening, but the effect of mine is a lot less than yours. I lost one BG, you lost 3 BG's and the main strike force of your whole army.

It's not what happens, it's when it happens!

Ian
Viking (15mm)
Syracusan (15mm)
Horse Nomad (15mm)

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:13 pm

In the first 90 minutes of a game: 11, 12, 11, 12. My four generals back in the box.

madaxeman

Post by madaxeman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:02 pm

In a game in Rome I hit a pike block (led by a general) in the flank, beat it at impact and it then rolled 1+2 to break at impact.

I then rolled an 11 to kill the general with it as well, even before hitting it in pursuit...
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

berthier
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by berthier » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:50 pm

4 stand BG of Average Disrupted Cataphracts charge 4 stand BG of skirmishing armoured superior bow armed cav. The cav evade and roll short. The cataphracts roll up and catch the cav in the rear. Cav disrupts for being hit in the year and then rolls up and gets three hits (not 4) on the cats who roll down and get none.

The cats roll a 1 & a 2 on cohesion, dropping from disrupted to broken. Roll a 1 on death roll, losing a base. The cats then roll average on rout and the cav roll average on pursuit catching the cats who loose a 2nd base. Cats picked up at end of JAP.
Last edited by berthier on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:54 pm

Wouldn't have made any difference, except to the death roll, but the Cav, being disrupted, should only roll 3 dice if 2 bases in contact.

JamesB
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by JamesB » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:16 pm

My Viking Huscarls led by a General appear at the edge of a forest, slogging towards my son's Early Crusader medium foot crossbow cowering in fear ...

First shooting phase results in a loss of a stand and the Huscarls go disrupted ...

"Pure luck" I say!

Second shooting phase results in another stand loss and the Huscarls are fragmented!!!

!!!

Third shots break the Huscarls ... OUCH!

petedalby

Post by petedalby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm still haunted by Britcon 2007.

3 Superior Knights with a General, hitting on fours and re-rolling 1's & 2's.

I roll 6 threes!!

It ended badly.
Pete

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:31 pm

JamesB wrote:My Viking Huscarls led by a General appear at the edge of a forest, slogging towards my son's Early Crusader medium foot crossbow cowering in fear ...

First shooting phase results in a loss of a stand and the Huscarls go disrupted ...

"Pure luck" I say!

Second shooting phase results in another stand loss and the Huscarls are fragmented!!!

!!!

Third shots break the Huscarls ... OUCH!
The moral of this story is young gamers and dice are a dangerous mixture.

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:51 pm

last game with Blathergut, forgot to move my 4 cats who during the roman turn turned out to be a gnats todger within 3 MU with their side facing the romans, they were supposed to move off to help the Galatians deal with the Dacian horde and I forgot them.
Anyway in come the romans for a nice flank charge, drop cohesion, lose the combat and then roll a 2 & 1, get a reroll which stays a 1 so they go broken and off they run. Romans who just so happen to have been a full unit of messengers manage to keep contact as I continue to roll down on evade and they roll up for pursuit.

Most embarassing cataphract moment in any of my games.......

madaxeman

Post by madaxeman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:33 pm

deadtorius wrote:last game with Blathergut, forgot to move my 4 cats who during the roman turn turned out to be a gnats todger within 3 MU with their side facing the romans, they were supposed to move off to help the Galatians deal with the Dacian horde and I forgot them.
Anyway in come the romans for a nice flank charge, drop cohesion, lose the combat and then roll a 2 & 1, get a reroll which stays a 1 so they go broken and off they run. Romans who just so happen to have been a full unit of messengers manage to keep contact as I continue to roll down on evade and they roll up for pursuit.

Most embarassing cataphract moment in any of my games.......
This woudl have been a much better story if the flank chargers had broken :roll:
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:50 am

Embarrasing for Blathergut,
He attacked one of my pikes with 2 units of legionaries. I was doing well against the one unit of legions, managed to knock them down 1 kill and disorder, the other legion was the pain dealer. They managed over a few turns to kill 2 of my pikes in one colum of the phalanx (led to whole how to remove pike casualties thing) and insisted I had to move one base out of 4th rank etc. Anyway now I have a pike block 3 deep against romans, I managed to break the one unit and now that I had 4 dice against the legion that had been hammering me all along. 2 turns later I broke that unit as well.
Not so embarassing for me anyway. :wink:

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Today was a day of horror stories.

First game we had a line of 2 BGs of 4 superior HF light spear/sword and 1 BG of average HF 1/2 light spear/sword, 1/2 bow. There is a commander with the average BG and we have a bit of rear support.

2 BGs of 4 bases of heavy chariots with commanders charge us. At impact we do well and take a base off each BG of chariots (one took 6 hits) but don't disrupt either. They move a BG of protected spear to give an overlap but the melee is still 14 dice to 14. In the melee where we are entirely superior and one evens we lose every single combat (mainly because they hit with 13 out of 14 dice!!), both superior BGs disrupt, one loses a base and two rounds of melee later out entire centre is gone :(

Second game, things are going well, we have superior armoured heavy foot fighting average protected MF in the open. We also have another melee where we are 6 dice to 5 up, one of their dice is at - and we have a commander. 14 dice rolls later (10 needing 5s, 4 needing 4s and none with any rerolls) we have take 13 hits, lost every combat by 2 or more and two of our BGs lose bases and fragment :shock:

Still, the games were good fun even if I felt a touch helpless. There was nothing more I could do to improve the situation, whey your opponent comes up with what I make a 47,239 against shot what can you do :?:

petedalby

Post by petedalby » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:10 pm

There was nothing more I could do to improve the situation, whey your opponent comes up with what I make a 47,239 against shot what can you do
Borrow their dice?
Pete

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”