UK magazine for a wargammer with fig

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Post Reply
domblas
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: Montpellier, France

UK magazine for a wargammer with fig

Post by domblas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:10 am

hi i am a french guy diapointed by french magazines on wargaming with figurines. I would like to buy regularly a UK one. I am interested in antical/medieval periods. What would u advises me to buy?

scenario/painting advices/news/rules/historical artciles etc etc

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team
Posts: 5440
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Stockport
Contact:

Post by hammy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:25 am

There are several UK wargaming magazines but none of them really focus on ancients. The big two are Miniature Wargames and Wargames Illustrated.

I think there is an Ancients specific one but it is not a newsstand magazine and is a new startup that has only had a few issues so far and may well fall by the wayside.

I think both MW and WI have webistes so they are probably worth checking out.

bobm
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Pudsey

Post by bobm » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 am

hammy wrote:There are several UK wargaming magazines but none of them really focus on ancients. The big two are Miniature Wargames and Wargames Illustrated.

I think there is an Ancients specific one but it is not a newsstand magazine and is a new startup that has only had a few issues so far and may well fall by the wayside.

I think both MW and WI have webistes so they are probably worth checking out.
If you mean "Ancient Warfare" then it's in its third year of bi-monthly production, so more than a few issues old. It's a Dutch magazine in English. Military history rather than wargaming though.
http://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/

Battlegames magazine is worth a punt too, especially if old school appeals at all (and it does have Mike Siggins' column). http://www.battlegames.co.uk/index.html

There's an entirely online magazine too..Wargames Journal. This used to be a paper magazine with online support but now publishes only online, however you can download and print anything of interest. Very professional it is too. http://www.wargamesjournal.com/
PG; May contain swearing Russian roulette bloody violence terror medical and regular gore distress horror (including guinea pigs) fantasy horror with scenes where characters are endangered by food and hard to categorise situations involving penguins.

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: NoVa

Post by Scrumpy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:12 am

Try the society of Ancients, they do a nice magazine every two months or so.

bobm
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Pudsey

Post by bobm » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Try the society of Ancients, they do a nice magazine every two months or so.
Definitely a good idea to join the society of ancients. Slingshot is an excellent journal and members get discounts from various figure manufacturers. However no "eye candy" other than the front and back cover.
PG; May contain swearing Russian roulette bloody violence terror medical and regular gore distress horror (including guinea pigs) fantasy horror with scenes where characters are endangered by food and hard to categorise situations involving penguins.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team
Posts: 5440
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Stockport
Contact:

Post by hammy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:11 pm

bobm wrote:If you mean "Ancient Warfare" then it's in its third year of bi-monthly production, so more than a few issues old. It's a Dutch magazine in English. Military history rather than wargaming though.
http://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/
Yeah, that was the one I was thinking of. has it really been running for three years :shock: I still remember the marketing stuff I got before the first issue.

Doesn't time fly when you are decrepid :oops:

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: NoVa

Post by Scrumpy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:06 pm

Not that decrepid you can't remember how much time has flown ?

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”