Jin List Questions

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Leadman
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Jin List Questions

Post by Leadman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Under Optional Troops, Chinese infantry in mixed or seperate formations are listed under Total Bases as *6-36. * is defined to mean that only one set of troops so marked can be used. Shouldn't it be listed as *0-36? Otherwise, they should be listed under Core Troops since they are mandatory.

Similarly, the Zhongxiao jun are also listed under Optional Troops and have Total Bases listed as 6-18. They list should be changed to 0-18 or the troop type moved to Core Troops.

I need to know so I can finish trying to put a list together for them.

Thanks,
Dannie

Ghaznavid
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Jin List Questions

Post by Ghaznavid » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:40 pm

There seem to be several slips in EotD where mandatory troops are listed under the optional troops header. I would assume they are indeed mandatory.
Karsten

~ We are not surrounded, we are merely in a target rich environment. ~

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:14 pm

It is mandatory to have one or other set of Chinese infantry, but only from 1127. It is mandatory to have Zhongxiao jun from 1160.

I wouldn't get too obsessed with the (erroneous) idea that Core Troops = mandatory (and mandatory = Core Troops). The lists were not written on such a fixed premise. If they were we would have called "Core Troops" "Mandatory Troops". Core Troops often include non-mandatory types.

Core Troops are meant to be exactly that, the Core Troops of most (but not necessarily all) field armies. We regard the Core Troops of this list as those with which the Jin conquered their Chinese Empire.

From an army selection point of view it makes no difference whether troops are listed in Core or Optional sections, the minima and maxima are as stated.

Allocation to "Core" or Optional" sections doesn't affect army composition - unless some tournament organiser decides to only allow Core Troops, which (AFAIK) none have yet done.

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:38 pm

So, is the fortified camp, listed under "Optional troops" optional, or not?

Marc

Leadman

Post by Leadman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:34 am

Richard, thanks for the quick reply. I understand and accept that the troops are mandatory. Since they are mandatory I don't see how they can be called optional, but I guess that's my problem.

Is the fortified camp mandatory or is that a printing error?

Thanks,
Dannie

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:53 am

babyshark wrote:So, is the fortified camp, listed under "Optional troops" optional, or not?

Marc

If it says "1" it is compulsory, if it says "0-1" it is optional.

Simples.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 am

nikgaukroger wrote:
babyshark wrote:So, is the fortified camp, listed under "Optional troops" optional, or not?

Marc

Simples.
Isn't it a bit foolish putting compulsory things in an optional list?
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:43 am

philqw78 wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:

Marc

Simples.
Isn't it a bit foolish putting compulsory things in an optional list?
I blame Hammy for not checking the lists better. (There you are, something we can all agree on).

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:52 pm

nikgaukroger wrote:If it says "1" it is compulsory, if it says "0-1" it is optional.

Simples.
Actually, I don't think it's that 'simple' at all. Since it was in the 'optional' list, I assumed it was a typo where the list creators missed the '0-' rather than a typo of it being entirely in the wrong part of the list.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:45 pm

ravenflight wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:If it says "1" it is compulsory, if it says "0-1" it is optional.

Simples.
Actually, I don't think it's that 'simple' at all. Since it was in the 'optional' list, I assumed it was a typo where the list creators missed the '0-' rather than a typo of it being entirely in the wrong part of the list.

What I posted is (deliberately) not incompatable with it being a typo, however, until such time errata are issued (and you find out which variety of typo it is) "1" is compulsory as stated :lol:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”