Army's lacking medium infantry

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

pyrrhus
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Army's lacking medium infantry

Post by pyrrhus »

what have been your expierences taking army's that lack any medium foot ? Do you miss them ?, are you at a huge disadvantage ,doesn't matter Also how do you cope ?
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

I rarely ever take medium foot given the choice. They are a burden. But less of a burden than heavy foot.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Army's lacking medium infantry

Post by nikgaukroger »

pyrrhus wrote:what have been your expierences taking army's that lack any medium foot ?
Pretty good - the ones without have been cavalry armies.

Do you miss them ?,

Nope.
are you at a huge disadvantage
Nope.

,doesn't matter Also how do you cope ?
Pretty much by thinking about what I have taken and how it is going to work and what needs to be done to avoid problems. Clearly I don't get this right a lot of the time 8) but it isn't because I haven't taken MF but that I've got the planning wrong :?
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

Troop Types in FoG on the FoG Wiki

931. __MEDIUM FOOT: __ Medium Foot gives a POA to opposing horsemen on Impact and their morale is more brittle than Heavy Foot when losing to mounted or Heavy Foot in the open (both of which will prove to be very common opponents), but they have an advantage in controlling bad terrain because they are not Disordered by Uneven or Rough ground, move and fight effectively in Difficult and suffer the MF -1 CT modifier for losing to HF or mounted only in open terrain. The counter argument to this is that taking terrain is not rewarded in the game victory conditions, and the MF will in any case have to leave the terrain they have "captured" in order to engage any troops passing them by.

Their greater speed makes them useful “foot cavalry” for working flanks (which is often where they find terrain), pressing mounted troops, and deep exploitation. Among the most prized Medium Foot are Almughavars (Average Protected Undrilled Offensive Spearmen) or Dailami (Superior Armoured Drilled Impact Foot Swordsmen), which can dominate terrain but also be effective in the open. Close combat Medium Foot can be fielded in 6s but without good quality 8s are recommended for cohesion test purposes, staying power, and greater punch in BG-on-BG matchups. 4s can be handy for double-teaming enemy BGs with flank threats or charges. A large number of MF can often influence an armies terrain choices, goals and tactics - but they will still have to beat enemy mounted or HF who wait in the open to win the game. A "few" terrain troops in an army can often get overwhelmed and cut down, so whether it is worth even bothering with "a few" is an important consideration in army recruitment.
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

My SHNC medium foot were game winners in the SHNC civil war I fought against Bob Amey on Saturday. Bob had one more BG of spear and one more BG of knights. I had three BGs of medium foot who performed flawlessly in the foot cavalry role.

Sword and buckler men in particular are fantastic in period.

What you don't want is just one BG of medium foot. A single BG is unlikely to be more than a target.
stenic
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by stenic »

hammy wrote: What you don't want is just one BG of medium foot. A single BG is unlikely to be more than a target.
Agreed. My 28mm 650ap Late Seleucids were rubbish with just the 1 MF BG. You get fixated on having to use it to protect terrrain... unimportant terrain. Once I droppped the MF the army worked much better as I knew what to concentrate on.

Steve P
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark »

hammy wrote:What you don't want is just one BG of medium foot. A single BG is unlikely to be more than a target.
This is excellent practical advice.

Marc
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

madaxeman wrote:Troop Types in FoG on the FoG Wiki

931. __MEDIUM FOOT: __ Medium Foot gives a POA to opposing horsemen on Impact and their morale is more brittle than Heavy Foot when losing to mounted or Heavy Foot in the open (both of which will prove to be very common opponents), but they have an advantage in controlling bad terrain because they are not Disordered by Uneven or Rough ground, move and fight effectively in Difficult and suffer the MF -1 CT modifier for losing to HF or mounted only in open terrain. The counter argument to this is that taking terrain is not rewarded in the game victory conditions, and the MF will in any case have to leave the terrain they have "captured" in order to engage any troops passing them by.

Their greater speed makes them useful “foot cavalry” for working flanks (which is often where they find terrain), pressing mounted troops, and deep exploitation. Among the most prized Medium Foot are Almughavars (Average Protected Undrilled Offensive Spearmen) or Dailami (Superior Armoured Drilled Impact Foot Swordsmen), which can dominate terrain but also be effective in the open. Close combat Medium Foot can be fielded in 6s but without good quality 8s are recommended for cohesion test purposes, staying power, and greater punch in BG-on-BG matchups. 4s can be handy for double-teaming enemy BGs with flank threats or charges. A large number of MF can often influence an armies terrain choices, goals and tactics - but they will still have to beat enemy mounted or HF who wait in the open to win the game. A "few" terrain troops in an army can often get overwhelmed and cut down, so whether it is worth even bothering with "a few" is an important consideration in army recruitment.
I'd add Iphikratean Hoplites/Thureophoroi/Thorakitai (Avg/Protected (armored for Thorakitai)/Offensive Spear MF) to the most prized list. I'd also mention that MF make good second line troops to provide the CT + more cheaply than cavalry while also being able to maneuver to where they are needed to support the front line for the same reasons they work as "foot cavalry".

Chris

p.s. Guess I could add that to the wiki myself ;-).
madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

batesmotel wrote:

931. __MEDIUM FOOT: __ ....
I'd add Iphikratean Hoplites/Thureophoroi/Thorakitai (Avg/Protected (armored for Thorakitai)/Offensive Spear MF) to the most prized list. I'd also mention that MF make good second line troops to provide the CT + more cheaply than cavalry while also being able to maneuver to where they are needed to support the front line for the same reasons they work as "foot cavalry".

Chris

I love it when a plan comes together.... !
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
durrati
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by durrati »

I presume the question may be coming from a 'how do you cope with terrain if you have no medium foot' angle. The answer being just ignore it. Terrainalmost never seems to have a great affect on games so don't worry about it.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

madaxeman wrote:
batesmotel wrote:

931. __MEDIUM FOOT: __ ....

Chris

I love it when a plan comes together.... !
Fool me once....Fool me twice....

(Just updated the wiki page about MF and also removed the bit about Elephants not moving in BL with other mounted.)

Chris
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

durrati wrote:I presume the question may be coming from a 'how do you cope with terrain if you have no medium foot' angle. The answer being just ignore it. Terrainalmost never seems to have a great affect on games so don't worry about it.
Many times I find that the way an opponent worries about coping with the terrain on the table has far more effect than the terrain would if my opponent completely ignored it ;-).

Chris
danikine74
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by danikine74 »

i ussualy take allways 2 MF Bgs, i found them precious and delightful, my 2 Janissaires!!! protected, superior, drilled bow and sword armed MF!!! whoau!!!
spikemesq
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by spikemesq »

danikine74 wrote:i ussualy take allways 2 MF Bgs, i found them precious and delightful, my 2 Janissaires!!! protected, superior, drilled bow and sword armed MF!!! whoau!!!
Thank you, Governor Dean.

Spike

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”