Who makes the best looking 15mm Vikings miniatures?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

luvdiscgolf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Who makes the best looking 15mm Vikings miniatures?

Post by luvdiscgolf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Hell all, I'm pretty new to the 15mm scale of minis and also to historical/ancient minis in general. I am looking into getting a Field of Glory starter army and one of the options is Vikings. I have found quite a few companies in searching the internet that produce the 15mm Vikings, but unfortunantely some sites don't even have photos of their minis, let alone have any photos of painted minis. Also, I have not had the opportunity to see any of the minis in person and it's hard to judge what some of the minis really look like until you hold them in your hand.

So I ask all of you, who makes the best-looking 15mm Viking miniatures? If anyone has links to pictures of painted 15mm Vikings I would be very interested in seeing them!

Lance

Spartacus
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Spartacus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:00 pm

I would suggest that you do as I did and buy from all of them to get a good variety in the army.

A mixture here!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terry_and_denise/sets/
--Terry--

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Try the figure photos at madaxeman.com and search for viking at http://www.madaxeman.com/15mm/search.php.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by madaxeman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:46 pm

There is also a manufacturers listing in the wiki section of my site.
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

expendablecinc
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/saxons.html

Post by expendablecinc » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:29 am

Splintered light miniatures?
www.splinteredlightminis.com/saxons.html

vichussar
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by vichussar » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:02 am

Try Two Dragons Productions available thru Dixon Miniatures
http://dixonminiatures.co.uk/dixoncatal ... aintype=37

Also for Anglo-Normans, Late Carolingian, Saxons & Rus

list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:05 am

I made the mistake of trying to order 2 Dragons via Dixon. I spoke to Trevor@dixon, and while he has got the moulds etc none are ready for sale. The link above has got all the wrong prices. You can't actually get to this page navigating via the Dixon website, but it has been picked up by a google bot

But the 2 dragons are nice - if you can get them!

thanks

Simon

vichussar
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by vichussar » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:04 pm

list_lurker wrote:I made the mistake of trying to order 2 Dragons via Dixon. I spoke to Trevor@dixon, and while he has got the moulds etc none are ready for sale. The link above has got all the wrong prices. You can't actually get to this page navigating via the Dixon website, but it has been picked up by a google bot

But the 2 dragons are nice - if you can get them!

thanks

Simon
Thats sad to hear. :( I originally bought some of the "Rus" figures from "Two Dragons" to use for a planned DBM Bk3 army, were very nice. Now used by a fellow clubman. Tha Samuria range is also very good. Can only hope the get back into production soon.

ethan
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by ethan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:09 pm

The 2 Dragons are really nice figures, it is sad to hear they aren't currently available.

khurasan_miniatures
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by khurasan_miniatures » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:52 pm

Can't say which are best looking, but ours are very popular -- after the late Romans, the most popular of our ancient/medieval lines:

http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/viking.html

(And we make the heavy cavalry too!)

luvdiscgolf

Cavalry

Post by luvdiscgolf » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:12 am

That's very cool, Viking cavalry are pretty hard to find from what I've seen so far. They're an option in the Field of Glory list so I'm surprised more companies don't have any of them.

Khurasan - I don't see a FoG Viking starter army listed on your website, might that be an option in the near future?

Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Who makes the best looking 15mm Vikings miniatures?

Post by Skullzgrinda » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:34 pm

luvdiscgolf wrote:Hell all, I'm pretty new to the 15mm scale of minis and also to historical/ancient minis in general. I am looking into getting a Field of Glory starter army and one of the options is Vikings. I have found quite a few companies in searching the internet that produce the 15mm Vikings, but unfortunantely some sites don't even have photos of their minis, let alone have any photos of painted minis. Also, I have not had the opportunity to see any of the minis in person and it's hard to judge what some of the minis really look like until you hold them in your hand.

So I ask all of you, who makes the best-looking 15mm Viking miniatures? If anyone has links to pictures of painted 15mm Vikings I would be very interested in seeing them!

Lance
I can't think of any BAD Viking miniatures which are still in production. Donnington and Khurasan have good lines, Two Dragons as well. Almost everyone makes Vikings, which hardly ever appear on the table.

Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Cavalry

Post by Skullzgrinda » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:37 pm

luvdiscgolf wrote:That's very cool, Viking cavalry are pretty hard to find from what I've seen so far. They're an option in the Field of Glory list so I'm surprised more companies don't have any of them.

Khurasan - I don't see a FoG Viking starter army listed on your website, might that be an option in the near future?

Just about any Migration Period Germanic noble will serve. Essex makes some which are Viking specific with the 'goggle' helmets, but any combination of spangenhelm helmet, round shield and scrap of armor will do.

azrael86
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by azrael86 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:00 pm

ethan wrote:The 2 Dragons are really nice figures, it is sad to hear they aren't currently available.
Well, if dixons have the moulds, then the more enquiries he gets....

Two dragons are exceptional figures, especially given that they are around 15 years old. Although Essex do nice longships (which are now entirely decorative)!

list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 pm

ask and you will recieve... Spoke to trevor and here you go -

http://www.dixonminiatures.co.uk/dixonc ... aintype=37

now ready to buy from dixon! available from the main dash

the 'fragile empire' line has been taken down though (it was never completed anyway)

azrael86

Post by azrael86 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:28 pm

Splendid. Need to buy some samurai (assuming that the renaissance samurai lists don't emasculate them as the Medieval ones).

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/saxons.html

Post by hazelbark » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:49 am

expendablecinc wrote:Splintered light miniatures?
www.splinteredlightminis.com/saxons.html
they are very good and like them.

bertalucci
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by bertalucci » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:05 am

azrael86 wrote:Splendid. Need to buy some samurai (assuming that the renaissance samurai lists don't emasculate them as the Medieval ones).
I must have bought the last Two Dragons Samurai mini's available a few weeks ago.
Now painted and looking splendid (if I may say so)
Probably the best looking army I have done for ages.

Played 3 won 2 and 1 winning draw - admittedly all in book - but I would still use them against anything even if they lose they look great.

I suppose it depends on what you want out of a GAME victory at all cost or a good time.

I favour the latter

Bert

azrael86

Post by azrael86 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:09 pm

bertalucci wrote:
azrael86 wrote:Splendid. Need to buy some samurai (assuming that the renaissance samurai lists don't emasculate them as the Medieval ones).
Played 3 won 2 and 1 winning draw - admittedly all in book - but I would still use them against anything even if they lose they look great.

I suppose it depends on what you want out of a GAME victory at all cost or a good time.

I favour the latter

Bert
I hope you didn't get all the ones left as I need some arquebusiers (I have most of the muromachi from years ago). agreed they are nice but the latest lists mean that - my bases are wrong depth, my previously cav-proof foot are close to being roadkill(and undrilled roadkill at that).

Not victory at all costs, but I suspect some lists in EotD and BAG would struggle to match bangladesh's test record, certainly in open comp.
It'll be interesting to see what turns up at warfare in the empires period. I have my suspicions as to what will do well And samurai (one of only two armies to beat the mongols) isn't it.

khurasan_miniatures

Re: Cavalry

Post by khurasan_miniatures » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:09 pm

luvdiscgolf wrote:That's very cool, Viking cavalry are pretty hard to find from what I've seen so far. They're an option in the Field of Glory list so I'm surprised more companies don't have any of them.

I can't! Strangely, there are Irish infantry in the Viking starter army (as it is a Dublin Viking army, IIRC), and I don't do Irish yet.

They are a ways off, but I will make them. Mike is making 18mm TYW for me now, then will make an Eastern Renaissance project for me which is a secret, then 15mm Early Hungarians, THEN 15mm Norse Irish.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”