Next infantry army?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

khurasan_miniatures
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Next infantry army?

Post by khurasan_miniatures » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi all, Iroquois are done, and now up for sale.  You may recall some time ago I asked here which foot army I should make and I think the advice I got worked out well as the Iroquois are selling.

Next I'm pondering one of these:

Old/Middle Kingdom Egypt (bow units, swordsman units, built around a core of superior, heavy weapon, heavy infantry)

Mochica (mobs of irregular heavy weapons, a fair number of which are superior, plus some skirmishers)

Yayoi Japanese (lots and lots and lots of medium foot offensive spearmen and archers, plus skirmishers)

None I'd venture to guess are world beaters but no one else makes them and people do like odd armies!

Thoughts/preferences appreciated!

madmike111
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by madmike111 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:04 am

There is a big hole in the figures for this army in 15mm Old/Middle Kingdom Egypt I had to use NKE.

But, the army is possibly in the top of worst 10 armies in FOG for playability. Apart from a couple of battle groups of heavy weapon guys the rest is junk. The close fighters don't get a lt spear as do just about any other army with swordsman which cost the same pts so they will be - POA against just about anything. They couldn't be trusted to even beat up some unprotected MF archers, as they fight with the same POA but the archers get a second rank at impact. The masses of archers are the usual MF unprotected no melee weapon types.

End story - while no one else really covers them I can't see masses of players racing out to buy them.

Maybe another of the American armies which aren't done yet by anyone, anyone of these would have to be a more playable army than the OKE, also with FOG R there are crossover possibilities. I am looking at getting an American army that would cover both FOG A and FOG R.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:08 am

madmike111 wrote:There is a big hole in the figures for this army in 15mm Old/Middle Kingdom Egypt I had to use NKE.

But, the army is possibly in the top of worst 10 armies in FOG for playability. Apart from a couple of battle groups of heavy weapon guys the rest is junk. The close fighters don't get a lt spear as do just about any other army with swordsman which cost the same pts so they will be - POA against just about anything. They couldn't be trusted to even beat up some unprotected MF archers, as they fight with the same POA but the archers get a second rank at impact. The masses of archers are the usual MF unprotected no melee weapon types.

Finished in the top third in a Swifter than eagles comp at Warfare last year. I think people are way too quick to write armies off.

No idea how popular it may be though.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by davidandlynda » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:42 am

That was me,You are missing the two BG of (non)Christian Nubians MF SUP Bw ,ts shooting ability accounted for Skythian and Elamite,when armour and technology arrived it struggled
David

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:32 am

davidandlynda wrote:That was me,You are missing the two BG of (non)Christian Nubians MF SUP Bw ,ts shooting ability accounted for Skythian and Elamite,when armour and technology arrived it struggled
David
Hasn't the same thing happened throughout history. Ask the Iraqi's.
Evaluator of Supremacy

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:20 pm

dave_r wrote:Hasn't the same thing happened throughout history. Ask the Iraqi's.
"There are no enemy Lancers in Baghdad!"
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:34 pm

philqw78 wrote:
dave_r wrote:Hasn't the same thing happened throughout history. Ask the Iraqi's.
Should have been Kurdish Lancers

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:34 pm

philqw78 wrote:
Thus speaks Comical Phil. Known to have the tactical vision of Blind Pew.
Evaluator of Supremacy

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Dave, you must admit that he know a thing or two about winning with lancers... ask The Boy Porter. Also, Phil did not have to share HIS Britcon winners trophy...

marty
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by marty » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:34 pm

The best (IMHO) of the American armies, that no one (I believe) makes figures for, is Timacuan. An army of drilled archers with a free light spear. Gold!

Unlike many of the armies in the book I believe this would be very competitive in open competition. I'm not sure, however, if there would be enough interest (which is so often based on less tangible factors) in this virtually unheard of army.

Martin

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:43 pm

timmy1 wrote:Dave, you must admit that he know a thing or two about winning with lancers... ask The Boy Porter. Also, Phil did not have to share HIS Britcon winners trophy...
He knew enough to get zero points against me the previous Monday to Britcon :shock:

Anyway, don't you remember the UN invastion of Baghdad when the American Tanks were rolling in and "Comical Ali" said there were no tanks in Baghdad?

You should study more history ;)
Evaluator of Supremacy

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:56 pm

timmy1 wrote:Dave, you must admit that he know a thing or two about winning with lancers... ask The Boy Porter. Also, Phil did not have to share HIS Britcon winners trophy...
And incidentally, Tim has played myself three times and Phil twice.

Tim's scores against Phil

8-12
7-18

Tim's scores against me
1-24
10-10
5-20

I rest my case :)
Evaluator of Supremacy

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:15 am

marty wrote:The best (IMHO) of the American armies, that no one (I believe) makes figures for, is Timacuan. An army of drilled archers with a free light spear. Gold!

Unlike many of the armies in the book I believe this would be very competitive in open competition. I'm not sure, however, if there would be enough interest (which is so often based on less tangible factors) in this virtually unheard of army.

Martin
I second this. A very interesting army. Lots of drilled Hvy Wpn is the best bit.
phil

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:21 am

dave_r wrote: I rest my case :)
Are you still bitter about your limited (finite) understanding of relativity Dave?

Well, it is all relative, my game against you before Britcon didn't matter (except to you). And I have placed first at Britcon. You have only placed equal first. :twisted:
phil

khurasan_miniatures

Post by khurasan_miniatures » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:10 am

marty wrote:The best (IMHO) of the American armies, that no one (I believe) makes figures for, is Timacuan. An army of drilled archers with a free light spear. Gold!

Martin
Eerie! I remember paging through Heath a year or so ago and thinking, these guys look interesting, but no one else would be interested.

Hmmmmmmm....

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:45 am

khurasan_miniatures wrote:

Martin
Eerie! I remember paging through Heath a year or so ago and thinking, these guys look interesting, but no one else would be interested.

Hmmmmmmm....
Yes, they seem to be the best in the book that don't have figures, Mochica would be fun too. And I have an unaccountable fondness for Hatun-Colla; a defenseless puppy of an army!

khurasan_miniatures

Post by khurasan_miniatures » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 pm

What do you think is the best in the book with or without figures. Graham? Just curious.

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:40 am

khurasan_miniatures wrote:What do you think is the best in the book with or without figures. Graham? Just curious.
Aztec. Or he's more mad than I thought
phil

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:44 am

khurasan_miniatures wrote:What do you think is the best in the book with or without figures. Graham? Just curious.
Yes I would say that in general play Aztec is the strongest army in the book. Protected medium foot (which is the best you get in this book) are very match up sensitive. Hence drilled status helps. None of the armies are good vs decent mounted, but Impact foot/sword is good vs foot.

azrael86
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by azrael86 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 pm

IIRC Santa hernandad nueva castilian has a quite convincing record against Aztec....

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”