heavy chariots

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:34 pm

hammy wrote:Looking at the Hittite army list you can have light chariots with light spear. You can also after 1275 have heavy chariots either with bow or with light spear.

Granted Kadesh is after the time at which the Hittites can gave heavy chariots but if you think that is wrong then if you are fighting Hittite vs Egyptians don't use them.

As for heavy chariots being way better than lights I am not so sure. They are a lot more expensive, are shock troops and move slower.

Essentially FoG has two classes of chariots, those that can skirmish (light chariots) and those that want to get stuck in to melee (heavy chariots). Light chariots with light spear are a sort of half way house and to be honest are probably about the worst kind of chariot there is.

IMO the choice of light or heavy has little to do with 'weight' and a lot to do with the way the vehicles are thought to have been used.
I recently had a game with NKE v Hittites, the Hittites had 3 BG's of Heavy Chariots - they were awful for the Hittites and got absolutely shredded. Cost them the game in fact. Light Chariots were miles better in the particular role they were employed.

As for Player - I still don't know what point you are trying to make? What do you actually want to change? I actually like the Heavy and Light Chariots as they stand - there is a bit of flexibility with the weapons they had, but by and large, they do what they are supposed to and what they did historically.

Obviously, there has been some sacrifice for simplicity's sake - there is no point trying to model the differences between a four spoke chariot and a six spoke chariot. There were differences, but why bother?
Evaluator of Supremacy

jrd
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by jrd » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 am

I recently had a game with NKE v Hittites, the Hittites had 3 BG's of Heavy Chariots - they were awful for the Hittites and got absolutely shredded. Cost them the game in fact. Light Chariots were miles better in the particular role they were employed.

As for Player - I still don't know what point you are trying to make? What do you actually want to change? I actually like the Heavy and Light Chariots as they stand - there is a bit of flexibility with the weapons they had, but by and large, they do what they are supposed to and what they did historically.

Obviously, there has been some sacrifice for simplicity's sake - there is no point trying to model the differences between a four spoke chariot and a six spoke chariot. There were differences, but why bother?
By coincidence I played NKE against Hittites two days ago. The Hittite HCh were very tough to deal with - they are POA up against almost everything in my army at contact and against most units in melee.

Superior Drilled HCh Bow at 22 points seem like a good deal to me compared with Superior Drilled LCh Bow at 18 points, since they shoot as well, move only 1 MU less and are POA up at impact and in melee.

John

pyruse
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pyruse » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:51 pm

The third horse in a 3 horse chariot was not attached to the yoke, so there's no issue with it pulling the chariot off line.
Now you might wonder what the point of an unyoked horse is, but in fact it's commoner than you might think. Many racing chariots had 4 horses, 2 of which were not under yoke.
People have done experiments and discovered that extra unyoked horses make the chariot turn faster - because the 'outer' horse gets the yoked ones to turn more easily.
Obviously the third horse is also a built in spare, a bit like carrying a spare tyre.
So just because a third horse seems pointless, doesn't mean that it is :-)

pezhetairoi

Post by pezhetairoi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:19 am

Obviously the third horse is also a built in spare, a bit like carrying a spare tyre
He he, this brings to mind a chariot pulling over, putting on his flashers, and getting out to change a spare horse.
"Sorry, I'll be out of the way in a minute, please go around".
"Oh damn, the wife must have put the spare horse on her chariot, this one's lame!"

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”