Shifting from DBM

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

azrael86
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by azrael86 »

Fluffy wrote:
I agree, you need to focus on very different skills to do well at FoG
Which skills would you say I should focus on?
I'm guessing you didn't play anything older than DBM/DBA - if you did then fog works quite like 7th edition (or indeed 6th edition) - although obviously it has some major differences as well.

But you need to get away from element thinking and into battlegroup thinking.

If the exchange rate and income/cost is a major factor then maybe someone in SA should start making figures locally both for sale and export?
Fluffy
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Fluffy »

If the exchange rate and income/cost is a major factor then maybe someone in SA should start making figures locally both for sale and export?
If someone did we would like it, but wargaming is simply not big enough down here to make it worthwhile.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

hazelbark wrote: Colin has lots to be disagreed on, but has contributed a heroic amount.

However, I fear his current attitude may well lead to RSA being cut off from what the rest of the world is doing - I note that there appear to be no RSA players at the IWC for the first time ...
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

nikgaukroger wrote:
hazelbark wrote: Colin has lots to be disagreed on, but has contributed a heroic amount.

However, I fear his current attitude may well lead to RSA being cut off from what the rest of the world is doing - I note that there appear to be no RSA players at the IWC for the first time ...
That's the main reason I got into FoG.
lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by lawrenceg »

nikgaukroger wrote:

This may be due to factors other than FOG as there is a DBM tournament at the IWC.
Lawrence Greaves
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

lawrenceg wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:

This may be due to factors other than FOG as there is a DBM tournament at the IWC.

There are no RSA players in that either - I did check before posting :D
Nik Gaukroger

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

nikgaukroger wrote:
lawrenceg wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:

I think that was Lawrence's point?
Evaluator of Supremacy
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs »

nikgaukroger wrote:
lawrenceg wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:

There were in Athens last year. I suspect the lack this year has more to do with the difficulty and cost of getting between South Africa and Australasia. South African IWCs have had poor attendance from Australasia after all.
lonehorseman

Post by lonehorseman »

The main reason none are attending is the people who tried out for the team. 2 10th graders and one older wargamer who is , well lets say not the worlds best caretaker (for said kiddywinkles).

No Team = No RSA players due to the legislation. If we travel to represent RSA unofficially we can in fact get prosecuted, fined or jailed. Once you make a hobby a national 'Sport' it screws with things somewhat
15mm: Painted: Late Republican Roman
Medieval Welsh
WIP: Ivan the Terrible's Russians
Later Ottoman Turkish
will05
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by will05 »

lonehorseman wrote:
No Team = No RSA players due to the legislation. If we travel to represent RSA unofficially we can in fact get prosecuted, fined or jailed. Once you make a hobby a national 'Sport' it screws with things somewhat
What!!!!! Wargaming is a national sport there???
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

will05 wrote:
lonehorseman wrote:
Amazingly yes. And the rules boggle the mind of every other nation.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

lonehorseman wrote:The main reason none are attending is the people who tried out for the team. 2 10th graders and one older wargamer who is , well lets say not the worlds best caretaker (for said kiddywinkles).

Well 2 RSA people are now showing for DBM. As usual they havent had their lsits checked and didn't announce their armies until everyone else had theirs announced.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

hazelbark wrote:
Well 2 RSA people are now showing for DBM. As usual they havent had their lsits checked and didn't announce their armies until everyone else had theirs announced.

Their lists have been checked. However, the whole submitting the lists very late stinks - some have gone as far as to say it is cheating :shock:
Nik Gaukroger

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Hopefully some Scandinavian boy will spank them. And not in a way they enjoy.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Strategos69 »

hazelbark wrote:
will05 wrote:
lonehorseman wrote:
I am still shocked by this!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Do you have to wear also official shirts with the name and number? That would be funny to implement for all tournaments. :lol:
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Strategos69 wrote:
Do you have to wear also official shirts with the name and number? That would be funny to implement for all tournaments. :lol:

Actually there is quite a tradition of teams having "official" shirts for comps like the ITC, and the GB touring party to the IWF in foreign countries used to do an official shirt.
Nik Gaukroger

GKChesterton1976
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by GKChesterton1976 »

nikgaukroger wrote:
hazelbark wrote:

Their lists have been checked. However, the whole submitting the lists very late stinks - some have gone as far as to say it is cheating :shock:
It shouldn't matter what people say about it - but it is disappointing that the organisers have permitted it. If they want it to be a serious tournament they should refuse to accept entries on that basis.
lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by lawrenceg »

tamerlane wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:
hazelbark wrote:

It shouldn't matter what people say about it - but it is disappointing that the organisers have permitted it. If they want it to be a serious tournament they should refuse to accept entries on that basis.
What they could do is require the players who intend to go through the RSA selection procedure to submit army lists by the same deadline as everyone else. They don't need to check them until the actual team is selected. Bonus points for getting a list in on time would provide an additional incentive. As I understand it, the RSA national rules require players to use the same lists that they used in the selection trials, so they must have been fixed some time before the point at which they were submitted to IWF. Whether that was before the R&R were published this time I don't know. As it is, Army lists received after 1 December 2010 will be made available to other players prior to the commencement of the relevant tournament, so this should mitigate any advantage gained by the late submission.
Lawrence Greaves
Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Strategos69 wrote:
hazelbark wrote:
will05 wrote: What!!!!! Wargaming is a national sport there???
I am still shocked by this!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just to be clear, what lonehorseman means by National Sport is that wargaming receives recognition from our national sports committee,
so we can get some state funding and national colours.

No names, numbers or spectators.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

Strategos69 wrote: Do you have to wear also official shirts with the name and number?
Actually I do think they have a dress code of sorts while travelling to venue. Don't know if it law, regulation, or team spirit.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”