Roman Fort near Yorkshire?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Roman Fort near Yorkshire?

Post by Robert241167 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi everyone

I'm trying to plan a day out for the children in the coming months.

Does anyone know of a good roman fort within driving distance of Yorkshire?

Also I heard there was a recreation of a roman fort but have been unable to locate it.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:46 pm

Nobody has managed to bring cviilisation to Yorkshire. Even the Romans.

You have Hadrians Wall, lots of forts, about 2 hours away depending which part of Yorkshire.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

Robert241167

Post by Robert241167 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi Phil, unsure if you know but I'm in Leeds/Bradford so West Yorkshire. :D

Rob

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:45 pm

About 2 and a half hours to Hexham where they have a fort and a big bit of wall. Been done up a bit since when I was last there. Centurian was a tank.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:32 am

I went to Vindolana and Halsteads (Hexham) earlier this year. The Roman army museum is OK too

http://www.vindolanda.com/

navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by navigator » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:26 pm

chester has a small ampitheatre

boroughbridge has some mounds as does malton

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:53 pm

I visited both Housesteads and Vindolanda back in 1995 and both were worth the visit then and not too far apart. From a quick glance at web sites, looks like both are probably even better now.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:22 am

Chris, I went in 2002. Housesteads is really worth the look and the Vindolanda museum is probably the best I have ever been to (but then I like Romans...) however it is a long drive from West Yorks and the A1 can get quite busy.

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:15 pm

timmy1 wrote:Chris, I went in 2002. Housesteads is really worth the look and the Vindolanda museum is probably the best I have ever been to (but then I like Romans...) however it is a long drive from West Yorks and the A1 can get quite busy.
Being from the the US, I'm not really willing to call that a long drive, even by New England standards ;-).

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

bertalucci
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Roman Fort near Yorkshire?

Post by bertalucci » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:53 am

Robert241167 wrote:Hi everyone

I'm trying to plan a day out for the children in the coming months.

Does anyone know of a good roman fort within driving distance of Yorkshire?

Also I heard there was a recreation of a roman fort but have been unable to locate it.

Thanks for any help.

Rob
The NorthEast is stuffed full of history.

The Roman Fort (built by a mate Charlie Westencraft (hope I spelt his name right) professional historian and longtime wargamer) is called Arbeia - its in South Shields a picturesque sea port at the mouth of the River Tyne :wink:
But truthfully SS has a great long sandy beach, amusement arcades, drinking holes, chip shops and is brill in good weather.
Within a mile or two there is the original St Bedes (the English equivalent of St Patrick) church for the religiously minded.
Over the river in North Tyneside (accessible by Ferry) a fully restored Roman Bath house at the equally historic Wallsend.
So named because its where the wall ended - nowt but common sense North of Watford eh.
And there is the now old New Castle in Newcastle which is good for shopping and has the advantage of facing south to Gateshead - Angel, Sage, Baltic and Winking Eye Millennium Bridge which I worked on.

There is a much better castle at Bamburgh, north of Sea Houses, on the edge of another truely wonderful sandy beach.
Also close to Holy Island. But these would add significantly to your travel time!
Many smaller sites spread around which can be quite interesting (another friend has the foundations of a small roman villa and a shed with a fully kitted out Legionaire in his back garden at Ebchester) but this is only accessible by appointment.

Loads of Peel Towers across North Northumberland (Border Reivers), and Alnick Castle (of Hogwarts and War of the Roses fame (Percy's /Nevilles etc)

Raby Castle in Durham (less mileage) is also worth a visit.

I know I have strayed from your main query (Roman stuff) but for a day out Beamish is also good value, although absolutely about the industrial revolution. The hand made sweets and Beamish Ale are good too!

And no I don't work for the Northumbria Tourist Board but I'm sure they would be more than helpful to sort out the details of a visit - informing you of opening times etc.

Irmin

Post by Irmin » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:19 am

bertalucci wrote:The NorthEast is stuffed full of history.

The Roman Fort (built by a mate Charlie Westencraft (hope I spelt his name right) professional historian and longtime wargamer) is called Arbeia - its in South Shields a picturesque sea port at the mouth of the River Tyne :wink:
But truthfully SS has a great long sandy beach, amusement arcades, drinking holes, chip shops and is brill in good weather.
Within a mile or two there is the original St Bedes (the English equivalent of St Patrick) church for the religiously minded.
Over the river in North Tyneside (accessible by Ferry) a fully restored Roman Bath house at the equally historic Wallsend.
So named because its where the wall ended - nowt but common sense North of Watford eh.
And there is the now old New Castle in Newcastle which is good for shopping and has the advantage of facing south to Gateshead - Angel, Sage, Baltic and Winking Eye Millennium Bridge which I worked on.

There is a much better castle at Bamburgh, north of Sea Houses, on the edge of another truely wonderful sandy beach.
Also close to Holy Island. But these would add significantly to your travel time!
Many smaller sites spread around which can be quite interesting (another friend has the foundations of a small roman villa and a shed with a fully kitted out Legionaire in his back garden at Ebchester) but this is only accessible by appointment.

Loads of Peel Towers across North Northumberland (Border Reivers), and Alnick Castle (of Hogwarts and War of the Roses fame (Percy's /Nevilles etc)

I know I have strayed from your main query (Roman stuff) but for a day out Beamish is also good value, although absolutely about the industrial revolution. The hand made sweets and Beamish Ale are good too!

And no I don't work for the Northumbria Tourist Board but I'm sure they would be more than helpful to sort out the details of a visit - informing you of opening times etc.
You're making me feel homesick, lived in Newcastle for 9 years before moving back south and still think of Tyneside as home more than down here.

But yes, all of that is worth seeing but not in a day trip :lol:

Housesteads and Vindolanda are perfect for a day out though.

bertalucci

Post by bertalucci » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:45 am

Irmin wrote:
bertalucci wrote:The NorthEast is stuffed full of history.

You're making me feel homesick, lived in Newcastle for 9 years before moving back south and still think of Tyneside as home more than down here.

But yes, all of that is worth seeing but not in a day trip :lol:

Housesteads and Vindolanda are perfect for a day out though.
Sorry - I didn't mean to infer that you could get round these in a day. :D

Phaze_of_the_Moon
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Phaze_of_the_Moon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:23 am

batesmotel wrote:
timmy1 wrote:Chris, I went in 2002. Housesteads is really worth the look and the Vindolanda museum is probably the best I have ever been to (but then I like Romans...) however it is a long drive from West Yorks and the A1 can get quite busy.
Being from the the US, I'm not really willing to call that a long drive, even by New England standards ;-).

Chris
An Englishman is someone who considers 100 miles to be a long way, an American is someone who considers 100 years to be a long time.

LeslieMitchell
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by LeslieMitchell » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Another roman fort to consider is South Shield

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/arbeia/

also not far from there is Bede World at Jarrow which has Anglo Saxon "village", and at Wallsend there are Roman Bath house to look around

Leslie

spike
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by spike » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:04 pm

Rob

Have a look here, it will show where all the known fort sites are.

http://www.roman-britain.org/cgi-bin/uk ... pl?Class=M

Of all the stuff mentioned so far I agree that the NE is full of forts, due to the proximity of Hadrians wall, and the restorations are v.good.
Also as a consideration, and possibly with otherareas to visit, you may also consider "Hardknot" fort in cumbria, its location is stunning and the wall circuit is complete. It is however a bit remote and not easy to get to if you are on public transport.

Spike

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”