Ships in AoW

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

caliban66
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Ships in AoW

Post by caliban66 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi. One of the things that I like of DBM was how easily the game allowed sea warfare on the games. Reading Herodotus and Tucidides, you can see how important coastal battles were, involving land and see troops. I have not seen a topic concerning this. Are ships included in AoW?

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 pm

Also haven't seen other stuff like fortified camps, plashed woods, stakes, chains, War Wagons, Scythed Chariots, caltrops, Chinese Thunder Bomb Oxen, rampaging elephants and Hostage Screens. Will we get these as well?

phil

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Ships in AoW

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:26 pm

caliban66 wrote:Hi. One of the things that I like of DBM was how easily the game allowed sea warfare on the games. Reading Herodotus and Tucidides, you can see how important coastal battles were, involving land and see troops. I have not seen a topic concerning this. Are ships included in AoW?
Not in the battle rules. We are saving them for the future campaign supplement.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:27 pm

philqw78 wrote:Also haven't seen other stuff like fortified camps, plashed woods, stakes, chains, War Wagons, Scythed Chariots, caltrops, Chinese Thunder Bomb Oxen, rampaging elephants and Hostage Screens. Will we get these as well?

phil
Some of these are in the battle rules. Some will be in the future campaign supplement.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:05 pm

Basically it will depend on whether they were a normal part of the army or something that only cropped up on rare occasions. Scythed chariots are an example of the former whilst stampeding animals are an example of the latter.

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:03 pm

So will we end up with special rules for special things, e.g. Valentine only gets to use scythed chariots on an odd numbered day but gets a positive POA on Thursdays and a negative POA on Tuesday, ala WAB. Something I will be very wary of.

phil

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:22 pm

philqw78 wrote:So will we end up with special rules for special things, e.g. Valentine only gets to use scythed chariots on an odd numbered day but gets a positive POA on Thursdays and a negative POA on Tuesday, ala WAB. Something I will be very wary of.

phil
Absolutely not. We are certainly not going to have special rules in the army list books. We are planning a separate Campaign Supplement which will cover strategic matters including fleets and special stratagems. These will not be tied to any particular army or commander. They will not be usable in tournaments anyway, so there will be no need for tournament players to use anything other than the standard rule-book.

tadamson
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by tadamson » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:55 pm

What about fleets that were involved in actual battles ?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:50 pm

tadamson wrote:What about fleets that were involved in actual battles ?
There are no rules for naval forces in the basic rules. There will be rules for naval forces cooperating with land forces in the campaign supplement in due course.

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:31 pm

part of th reason for leaving some things for a campaign supplement is that its worth doing them justice properly rather than having a throw away type of addendum. We prefer this idea of making the things that go beyond a normal battle work properly in due course - weather, naval, sieges, generals who improve with battles etc.

We need to finish the day job first though...

Si

plewis66
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by plewis66 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:38 pm

shall wrote:generals who improve with battles etc.
Si
Carry on like this, and you won't need to shoot me...I'll just die of anticipation.

Redpossum
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Redpossum » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:39 pm

philqw78 wrote:Also haven't seen other stuff like fortified camps, plashed woods, stakes, chains, War Wagons, Scythed Chariots, caltrops, Chinese Thunder Bomb Oxen, rampaging elephants and Hostage Screens. Will we get these as well?

phil
uhh, Chinese Thunder Bomb Oxen? WTF?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:05 pm

possum wrote:uhh, Chinese Thunder Bomb Oxen? WTF?
And you thought the Ancient/Medieval period was all boring humdrum elephants, scythed chariots and cataphracts...

Redpossum
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Redpossum » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:10 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
possum wrote:uhh, Chinese Thunder Bomb Oxen? WTF?
And you thought the Ancient/Medieval period was all boring humdrum elephants, scythed chariots and cataphracts...
Ah, well Bodlius, no animal capable of instantly converting me into toe-jam is exactly what I'd call boring...

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”