Hoplites at Marathon

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

pezhetairoi
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Hoplites at Marathon

Post by pezhetairoi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:06 am

Hey, check this out! 8)
http://www.visitmarathon.gr/index.php/e ... hon-490-bc

Hoplites at Marathon!
My Architectural Model Making Business
http://www.monolitham.com/

Zephyr40k
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Zephyr40k » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:48 am

Great to see the historical re-enactment. Too bad the Greek government didnt help out. Those guys do need to learn a few things about boffer-combat safety. Those arrows the "Persian" archers were firing were far too narrow; they could have easily taken out an eye.

Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Strategos69 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:53 am

Thanks for the link! Actually I was looking forward to that!

I had a visit pending to Greece and I wanted to make it at the same time of the 2500 aniversary of the battle. I checked but Greece did not seem to organize anything about that. It is such a pity that I missed that. If I wait a little I can be there in the 2500 aniversary of Thermopylae :lol:

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:25 am

Good to see, but if real hoplites charged like the ones in this video they would have been cut to ribbons by the Sparabara :)

Strategos69

Post by Strategos69 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:28 pm

ravenflight wrote:Good to see, but if real hoplites charged like the ones in this video they would have been cut to ribbons by the Sparabara :)
Hehehe note that in the background it is possible to see how one of them falls terribly. If I were there I would fear my comrades running behind me with pointy sticks!

pezhetairoi

Post by pezhetairoi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:03 pm

I really wanted to go.
I know a lot of the guys in the photos, and did a little training myself. I even have most of my own kit!
The event was on, then off, then on, then off, then on again. In the end, it was budget reasons that prevented me. I'm sad I missed it.
I checked but Greece did not seem to organize anything about that
It is too bad, but I think at this point they are having trouble organizing who will deliver the mail...
Those arrows the "Persian" archers were firing were far too narrow; they could have easily taken out an eye.
If I'm not mistaken, precautions were taken for that specific event -- protective eye-wear underneath the helmets.
Hehehe note that in the background it is possible to see how one of them falls terribly. If I were there I would fear my comrades running behind me with pointy sticks!
Yes, it is a little scary. It's also a good argument for the overhand spear fighting. If the hoplites held the spears underhand and start jabbing, as a rear-ranker it is very likely that you will get a sauroter in the nuts!

Also I noticed:
That the helmet's nose-guard and cheek plates are partly there to protect you from yourself. When shields clash, the rim of your own shield can very easily be bashed against your nose or your face. There have been a few injuries in the mock-fighting along those lines, and some blood.
The sword on the hanging baldric is also very convenient, and probably couldn't be suspended a better way. The vases show them hanging too low, but tighten it up a little and the sword tips out with a simple rotation.

Strategos69

Post by Strategos69 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:58 pm

I am thinking about getting myself the equipment too, but having started yet (just toyed with the idea and checked prices of items). In fact I have seen some wonderful helmets and breast plates in the website, much better than any other sold around. I guess some people asked or made their own specific equipment.

The good thing about reenactment is that you learn many things. I have never thought about the balance of a weapon until I saw them used. Another thing when involved in those is that the most important thing for a soldier is not being killed, thus making that the actual fighting barelly ressembles to Hollywood movies. And when you spend 3 or 4 hours under the Mediterranean sun, you realize that all rulesets should have some rules about being tired just for standing in there!

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:54 pm

It's also a good argument for the overhand spear fighting.
Some of us of a certain age would be really grateful if that argument were never mentioned again. :twisted:

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:10 pm

kevinj wrote:
Some of us of a certain age would be really grateful if that argument were never mentioned again. :twisted:
Indeed - please gods spare us that ...
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

pezhetairoi

Post by pezhetairoi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:05 pm

kevinj wrote:
Was that big issue at one time?

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”