Field of Glory goes 2.0 !

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Field of Glory goes 2.0 !

Post by shadowdragon »

vexillia wrote:
IainMcNeil wrote:Yes we are looking at a printed version based on the feedback, but that doesn't seem to matter to some.
Some! I think you've got the rose tinted glasses turned up full.
"Some" means "not all" ("A certain number, at least one", "An indefinite amount, a part"). I'm content to wait for what Slitherine comes up with. So, that means "not all". To have said "most" would be judgemental and would require extrapolating the response of on-line posters to all customers. I would also point out that "some" who objected to the original decision aren't contuing to rant. So, "some" is appropriate here.

Everyone makes mistakes, mis-judged decisions, etc. (remember when Coca Cola announced changing its formula?). Just eleven (11) days to announce a reversal of the decision for no "printable version" is reasonably responsive. It is unreasonable to expect a fully developed concept at the same time. That will come. We are after all just 4 days from the announcement of reversing the decision. As a fellow business operator in the industry one would have thought you'd have some sympathy rather than taking the opportunity for a "poke in the eye".

Slitherine has announced there are looking into a "printable" version and I have no reason to doubt that they will do so.

I try not to rant too much, but it has wisely been said, "judge not lest you be judged". It has been entirely right for FoG players to post their objections to the original decision. Many have done so while remaining respectful, but "some" haven't; and it appears that "some" continue to express their outrage. Slitherine made a poor decision and is in the process of rectifying that decision. "Some" of my fellow wargamers on the other hand.....well, I will reserve my judgement to myself. Anyway, as I posted in response to a hazelbark post...."apparently we will have to let emotions run their course".
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark »

IainMcNeil wrote:Yes we are looking at a printed version based on the feedback, but that doesn't seem to matter to some. Any excuse for people to rant and be irate on the internet is not to be missed!
Isn't that what the internets are for? :shock:

I am perfectly pleased to spend my time looking forward to my (eventual) printed copy of v2.0, and to--maybe--buying the Mac version.

Marc
bahdahbum
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by bahdahbum »

Ok I was unhappy ...sorry ....I am still unhappy to have to wait for an ...amount of time that is soon but what is soon ....; :shock:

No paper, no V2 tournament for me .

That's why I am very very unhappy .

If the paper version comes out after a month OK, but 6,7 8 month ...so many tournaments lost
Sarmaticus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Sarmaticus »

hazelbark wrote:
Sarmaticus wrote:When one has right royally fouled up, it's best not to play the wounded victim. Just IMvHO.
And when one is victorious it is rude to dance on a friend's grave.
I didn't say it was an admirable reaction: just an understandable one. Having upset a lot of people who have paid out a great deal of money by proposing to make that investment worthless, humility would be the more sensible posture IMvHO. "The customer is always right", we used to say - before Apple et al tried to convince us we were priveleged to be allowed to buy their products.
pantaleon
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by pantaleon »

my 2 cents in support of mbsparta's opinion ("I have already voiced my desire ... I prefer a V2 rulebook as nice as and similar to the V1 rulebook. One thing that got me to try FoG was the professional presentation of the rulebook. I bought it as a "vacation" read out of curiosity. I was pleasantly suprised by both the quality of the book and the rules.")
I also selected FoG on account of its superior presentation for my son and myself to try out a miniatures game. A v2 hardback of the same quality, combined with a release of quick start rules, should further extend the circle of purchasers/players, with a large share of existing players buying the new version as well.
bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum »

The big question is now : When

I a organising a tournament in january 2013 ...will there be a V2 at that time ( a book ) or not !
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

As soon as we know we'll let you know. Getting a book in to print format takes some planning and we only start to investigate last week and it has to fit around all the other work we were already dealing with. Also bear in mind half the company is away on holiday for the next few weeks so everything is slower. We don't know yet how long it will take to get the full plan in place but there are a number of people working on it already.
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark »

IainMcNeil wrote:As soon as we know we'll let you know. Getting a book in to print format takes some planning and we only start to investigate last week and it has to fit around all the other work we were already dealing with. Also bear in mind half the company is away on holiday for the next few weeks so everything is slower. We don't know yet how long it will take to get the full plan in place but there are a number of people working on it already.
Thanks, Iain. We appreciate the responsiveness to customer concerns. We will appreciate it even more when we learn that all holidays have been canceled until the print version of 2.0 is released. :twisted:

Marc
bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum »

Wait and see
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Hi all, an update for you.
We had a pre release meeting on several new titles this morning including FOG 2 tabletop. So far as a printed version is concerned we are now awaiting feedback in respect of several options, but not only are some of our staff heading out on holiday this week end , it seems our suppliers are also unreasonably on holiday, so we have not yet decided on which direction we will be heading with the paper version. As soon as our suppliers respond we will be in a position to make a decision.

regards
JDM
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

jdm wrote:Hi all, an update for you.
We had a pre release meeting on several new titles this morning including FOG 2 tabletop. So far as a printed version is concerned we are now awaiting feedback in respect of several options, but not only are some of our staff heading out on holiday this week end , it seems our suppliers are also unreasonably on holiday, so we have not yet decided on which direction we will be heading with the paper version. As soon as our suppliers respond we will be in a position to make a decision.
Thanks for the update. Naturally we are all offended that you are even permitted to have a holiday.
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Not me, I am afraid, but in compensation I have a really exciting meeting with a countryman of yours on Thursday, having lunch with Buzz Aldrin. He is over for some duties connected to the Olympics. Looking forward to hearing his stories....of course nothing to do with FOG but we do have some other titles to consider as well:-)

Regards
JDM
lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by lawrenceg »

jdm wrote:Not me, I am afraid, but in compensation I have a really exciting meeting with a countryman of yours on Thursday, having lunch with Buzz Aldrin. He is over for some duties connected to the Olympics. Looking forward to hearing his stories....of course nothing to do with FOG but we do have some other titles to consider as well:-)

Regards
JDM
So nostalgia buffs can look forward to a text-based moon landing computer game?
Lawrence Greaves
ShrubMiK
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ShrubMiK »

Just don't tell him the moon landings were faked, or he'll punch you in the face too :)
urbanbunny1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by urbanbunny1 »

So,

no printed version for Britcon?

:-)
Jilu
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Jilu »

moon landings? naaa never happened, all the images were shot in the middle of the desert in some secret studio.....
Jilu

Post by Jilu »

lawrenceg wrote:
jdm wrote:Not me, I am afraid, but in compensation I have a really exciting meeting with a countryman of yours on Thursday, having lunch with Buzz Aldrin. He is over for some duties connected to the Olympics. Looking forward to hearing his stories....of course nothing to do with FOG but we do have some other titles to consider as well:-)

Regards
JDM
So nostalgia buffs can look forward to a text-based moon landing computer game?
i remember one on a TI computer ages ago...lol....if i remember well the computer had a
CPU: TI TMS9900 @ 3MHz
Memory: 16K RAM, 26K ROM

that was long long time ago
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Jilu wrote:
lawrenceg wrote:So nostalgia buffs can look forward to a text-based moon landing computer game?
i remember one on a TI computer ages ago...lol....if i remember well the computer had a
CPU: TI TMS9900 @ 3MHz
Memory: 16K RAM, 26K ROM

that was long long time ago
Still more computing power than the blokes that landed on the moon had, allegedly
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

philqw78 wrote:Still more computing power than the blokes that landed on the moon had, allegedly
You mean still more computing power than the blokes who alledgedly landed on the moon had. :mrgreen:
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

Allegedly
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”