Field of Glory goes 2.0 !

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Field of Glory goes 2.0 !

Post by kevinj » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:48 pm

I got a sneak preview at Britcon and was impressed. From each chapter header page you can navigate to any section in the chapter. You can also link directly to the index or contents and from there to the page you want.

Jilu
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Jilu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:51 pm

ohh i am sure; i do not doubt it....

but what ...you have the money to buy a tablet you are ok....you cannot afford it, ohh so sorry for you. You cannot buy apple? ohh well live in the IT world they all get them for free from their job. I seen tablets, i have no use for them in my life for now. None at all....i can live without in my everyday life, find the weather forecast, restaurants, maps, i have learned to live without apps...i do not need to be assisted by apps that i need to pay for, by restaurants that have to pay to be on an app....etc etc
no i think printable is best for all

bahdahbum
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by bahdahbum » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:32 pm

The problem of IPAD version is IPAD !

LeslieMitchell
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by LeslieMitchell » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:12 pm

bahdahbum wrote:The problem of IPAD version is IPAD !
:D

ValentinianVictor
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ValentinianVictor » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:46 am

If the electronic version of FOG is going to achieve any successful sales then there simply has to be a version that will run on Android. Far more tablets and smartphones run Android and limiting FOG just to the Apple platform seem totally senseless to me, especially if they want to capture the market in the USA where the vast majority of people have Android driven platforms.

bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:04 pm

I have a blackberry ...and will not buy apple ....one tablet is enough

navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by navigator » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:38 pm

I have an orange, a strawberry and a pair of bananas so there is no way i will be getting an apple or blackberry... i dont like heights so a platform of any kind does not appeal either and i have a mac for popping down the local cinema on a tuesday afternoon..

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:37 pm

navigator wrote: i have a mac for popping down the local cinema on a tuesday afternoon..
And the police are still looking for a man of your description
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Robert241167 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Now we know you are lying Paul.

You don't have a local cinema. It's when you entice all the local foreigners into your living room for the big screen TV.

Rob

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Robert241167 wrote:local foreigners
You'll have to explain that one to me?
Evaluator of Supremacy

MatthewP
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by MatthewP » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:18 am

local foreigners
In Robin Hoods Bay a local foreigner is;

a) somebody from Scarborough i.e someone with less than 6 fingers or

b) somebody from Whitby i.e. someone with more than 6 fingers.

navigator

Post by navigator » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:29 pm

yes very good..

and for 2013 bayfog i am thinking about giving away free rules and tablets required to play the game to all player.

Entry will be £450 each

spike

Post by spike » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Will you have to write your list on these tablets with chalk
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin

A fool and his money are soon elected.
Will Rogers

Pitty the fool!!!
Mr T

dugroz
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by dugroz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:10 pm

I know I’m a bit late to the party but will throw in my 2 cents –

I’m among those who was looking forward to a full-on Osprey publishing book much like v.1. The presentation and credibility of that book is what drew me to FoG. I’m not an old grognard or a newbie teen. I was in my early 30’s when I jumped from Warhammer to historical gaming. I explicitly sought out a gaming system knowing that I would only have the time to play one. I play most all the games in my home usually alone but sometimes with a friend, only a few times each year. I think I would be the sterotype of the new customer you would want to draw in, and the full color, well published & illustrated books made me think this company is professional and this system will be well supported. I don’t have market research, but if you really want to you can watch the youtube video I made of my first impressions to see what was appealing to a newbie historical gamer (search for my screen-name, dugroz). I would rather wait until 2013 and get a good book than something “half as good” this year.

IF that’s just not an option, than my second choice would be something printable and nice. Like print-to-order, etc. I would pay $25-50 US if needed for this.

My third choice would be something that is computer based but printable. I don’t have a tablet, only a family laptop, and I don’t want to haul it around while playing. I’ve had my 4 year-olds knock a few mini’s off the table… doing that to my computer would be … well,’nuff said.

Last resort -- if it is app/PC based only, I would probably jump on board eventually, but I’m not going to be in the first group. I would probably wait until others have bought it and all the bugs are out first. But, I wouldn’t be too happy of a camper. I really like the suggestion that a book be available and the app/ PC stuff be “value added” – you can have the book and all then, for an extra $15 or so, all the stuff the app/program can do. I will probably get a tablet 3-5 years down the road but I’m not going to get one just for “fancy” FoG rules.
:?
See my blog at:
www.wargamesreview.blogspot.com

Battle Reports, Videos, Reviews of FoG and Warhammer.

pantaleon
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by pantaleon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:01 am

I'd like to second your opinion, dugroz. And thanks for your videos presenting FoG, they helped me decide to buy the rulebook.

mbsparta
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by mbsparta » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 pm

I have been asking for a 2.0 in the same Osprey format from the beginning of this discussion. There certainly is no lack of interest by Osprey in pulbishing wargaming rulebooks. I just bought "Bolt Action" published by them.

We had a local convention last weekend and I may have recruited a new ancient gamer or two. If they eventually want to get into this period I am at a loss on what direction to tell them to take. Amazon for one, does not offer it any more. It would be so simple to have shown them the v.1 rule book and told them to hold off for v.2 soon to be released. While this tech-no direction and the printable version they may be offering may work for Slitherene and this tournament clique that posts here, I fear any positive changes to an already good gaming sysytem will be lost on the rest of us. Without the very nice v.1 book and the excellent army list books I would have never tried the game.

Speaking of FoG, 3 years ago, at this same little convention, they ran a FoG-AM tournament in both 15 and 28mm. I played (poorly of course) and enjoyed the day. There may have been as many of 12 or so players between the two scales. This year, no FoG, no FoG-R ... only 6 DBM players. There was a horde of Flames of War players. Maybe WWII is more popular than ancients, maybe the FoW rules are more user friendly ... but one thing you have to say is that Flames of War is supported by beautiful published books and lists.

Slitherene was on to something when they began v.1. They have fallen off the path with V.2.

Mike B

grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:09 pm

I think the problem Mike is not that Osprey don't want to publish rules (though it's not their main business) it's more specific to FOG. They make good money if they sell all they print. And they haven't done so I understand. The English language rue book sells OK but the translations didn't. Some of the army list books didn't either.

The main rule book does still seem to be on both US and UK Amazon though. The version 1 rules provide a perfectly good game, and the main 'game' effect of the v2 changes are to try for a more realistic game. The basic maechanisms work the same, and I suspect it will be a long,long time before any army list changes are made.

So I'd suggest for introducing new players v1 will be fine. And there's no particular reason to move to version 2 when it comes out if you like how v1 plays. No doubt tournaments will move to v2 but as you say most players don't do that. Also worth bearing in mind that v2 may well be equally good looking as v1.

There has been a bit of a drift away from FOG ancients; at least partly because some feel it could do with some improvement. Flames of War is certainly popular, though perhaps not amongst purists (I've heard it described as "the game of the movie of WWII). I've certainly been playing more FOG-R than FOGAM nowadays as I feel it's a better game.

viperofmilan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by viperofmilan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:38 pm

grahambriggs wrote:I've certainly been playing more FOG-R than FOGAM nowadays as I feel it's a better game.
I'd certainly agree with that. Simply "importing" some of the improvements made in FoG-R into FoG-AM (allowing for some very real differences between the two periods) would be a big improvement to the ancients game IMHO.

Kevin

gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by gozerius » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:40 pm

grahambriggs wrote: Flames of War is certainly popular, though perhaps not amongst purists (I've heard it described as "the game of the movie of WWII).
I've described it as playing a comic book version of WW2.
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians

mbsparta

Post by mbsparta » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:51 pm

I don't play FoW ... But they are certainly doing something right. I'm not sure if it is marketing; publishing; up-dating; or what ... But something they do is working. Comic book or not I wonder if their buisness model might be something Slitherene can learn from??

The tounaments at the big US conventions are very well attended, they have amazing tables to play on and many of the armies are beautifully presented. That synergy brings in new players. I just don't see that in the ancient gaming community. I love Madaxeman's battle reports. But the table top terrain that I see in his photos is .... generally speaking, horrible. I wonder what is more important; a hill that looks like a hill, or a felt hill with geometric lines to donate the "crest"?

Oh well ... I am playing FoG-R this weekend. One more attempt to beat my Swedish opponent. I think I may be 1-16 against him. Fairfax needs a new plan.

Mike B

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”