from FOW back to FOG

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

paulcummins
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

from FOW back to FOG

Post by paulcummins » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:32 am

After a year of pushing around tanks, and now BF has shot themselves in the face....

I think I may be back to playing FOG

so...

when are we going to see FOG2 - soon enough that I can use that as my personal excuse to get back in the game?

Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: from FOW back to FOG

Post by Robert241167 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:11 am

Welcome back Paul.

Don't look now but FOG V2 is currently causing an uproar.

Once it has settled down I am looking forward to getting on with the game.

Rob

stecal
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by stecal » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:45 pm

It was amazing that the 2 games I play the most both had major announcements that severely impact the players on the same day. Its slow at work, can't they spread out the internet excitement a bit?
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

vsolfronk
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by vsolfronk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Yes- at least Slithering doesnt force you to use their miniatures for tournaments....

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:13 pm

I think I may be back to playing FOG
Welcome back Paul!

Like you I'm keen to understand what's happening with V2.....
Pete

david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:01 pm

vsolfronk wrote:Yes- at least Slithering doesnt force you to use their miniatures for tournaments....
Give them time :D

david53

Post by david53 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Robert241167 wrote:Welcome back Paul.

Don't look now but FOG V2 is currently causing an uproar.

Once it has settled down I am looking forward to getting on with the game.

Rob
Only if you have got the digital system thats required for V2 :D

paulcummins

Post by paulcummins » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:13 pm

well thats me stuffed then

nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:17 am

Mr cummins: go FOGN :) ps: no ferrari hellcats allowed :)
Proelium: Wargaming rules for 3000B.C. - 1901A.D.
Hordes of Models and Buckets of Dice
Web: www.quickplayrules.com
Social: www.facebook.com/quickplayrules
Twitter: @quickplayrules

davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by davidandlynda » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:05 pm

But how long before these go the same way 2/3 years,certainly by the time we have invested in lots of figures to play these instead of A
David

petedalby

Post by petedalby » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:03 pm

But FoG V1 is still available - still extremely playable - and it's great to see recent competition organisers going for different table sizes / points / and themes.

All good stuff in my view.

And of course there's nothing to stop comp organisers introducing comp specific rules - such as Armoured Knights moving 5MU for example.

It's too early for doom and gloom - and hopefully we may yet see a written summary of V2 changes that we can use?
Pete

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:59 pm

petedalby wrote:And of course there's nothing to stop comp organisers introducing comp specific rules
Well said.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

david53

Post by david53 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:27 pm

petedalby wrote:But FoG V1 is still available - still extremely playable - and it's great to see recent competition organisers going for different table sizes / points / and themes.

All good stuff in my view.

And of course there's nothing to stop comp organisers introducing comp specific rules - such as Armoured Knights moving 5MU for example.

It's too early for doom and gloom - and hopefully we may yet see a written summary of V2 changes that we can use?
Not to sure Siltherine will be too happy with that since its their rules and their forum?

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:42 pm

There is also the BHGS mailing list and the FoG mailing list.

Its their rules. We can't copy them. But we can play them however we like. Same as DBM was played for many years. The rules were written. Then various wargaming bodies added to the rules for the way they wanted the games to be played and scored.
phil

stecal

Post by stecal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:52 am

Battlefront swallowed its pride and rescinded its policy today. Time for Slitherine to do likewise with the electronic only ruleset?
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 am

philqw78 wrote:There is also the BHGS mailing list and the FoG mailing list.

Its their rules. We can't copy them. But we can play them however we like. Same as DBM was played for many years. The rules were written. Then various wargaming bodies added to the rules for the way they wanted the games to be played and scored.
I think there might be copyright issues if anyone publishes a list of changes that just happen to be very similar to the FOG2 changes though.

Strategos69

Post by Strategos69 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:59 pm

Polkovnik wrote:
philqw78 wrote:There is also the BHGS mailing list and the FoG mailing list.

I think there might be copyright issues if anyone publishes a list of changes that just happen to be very similar to the FOG2 changes though.
If you don't plan to make money out of it the situation is very complicated to prove you have broken the law. More difficult indeed if your servers are in Kosovo. You can't be prevented to play something as you like and to tell your friends how you want to play it. The best way to cope with piracy is to offer a product people would like to buy to a better standard and price of what they can get in the black market. And it happens that a printed book can be obtained cheaper and nicer if produced and sold by the authors because they can make scale economies and, if they wanted, have an approximate number of demands.

Moreover, if there are no printed copies, I really wonder if they have realized how long will it take for someone with an iPad to do the kind gestuer of providing a list of changes to all his club mates so that they can also play.

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:16 am

petedalby wrote:And of course there's nothing to stop comp organisers introducing comp specific rules - such as Armoured Knights moving 5MU for example.

And of course that's exactly what I expect to do for the NZ nationals next Easter if there is no satisfactory resolution before then. Maybe hand out the Slitherine 'press release' and handwrite specific move distances where these are required. Of course this won't pick up sentence changes within the body of the v2 rules text. But I'll be able to read these clarifications from my purchased v2 copy off my MAC when required to make a ruling. All a bit clunky but we'll get by.

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:00 am

zoltan wrote:
petedalby wrote:And of course there's nothing to stop comp organisers introducing comp specific rules - such as Armoured Knights moving 5MU for example.

And of course that's exactly what I expect to do for the NZ nationals next Easter if there is no satisfactory resolution before then.
If there is no satisfactory resolution, then will tournament organisers go with V2 at all ? Wouldn't it be best to just stick with V1 ? I think it's best to refuse to buy into the FOG 2 release as it currently stands, which will hopefully cause them to rethink their decision to release it in this form.

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:20 am

zoltan wrote:And of course that's exactly what I expect to do for the NZ nationals next Easter if there is no satisfactory resolution before then. Maybe hand out the Slitherine 'press release' and handwrite specific move distances where these are required. Of course this won't pick up sentence changes within the body of the v2 rules text. But I'll be able to read these clarifications from my purchased v2 copy off my MAC when required to make a ruling. All a bit clunky but we'll get by.
So you will give out part of the rules? And have a queue for the umpire once anything goes wrong. Umpiring is hard enough as it is. It will be far worse if only a few people can see the totallity of the rules.
phil

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”