so are some staying with FOG 1.0?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

darthsmaul
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: so are some staying with FOG 1.0?

Post by darthsmaul » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:54 pm

well, Im glad to hear version 1 is going on strong

I agree with most. I cant buy version 2 cuz as much as Id like a expensive gadget, I cant afford an ipad. and I was worried that the couple new guys getting into FOG this last month would be frustrated that all the stuff they just bought was obsolete.

Doesn't seem like this is the case, and we only play historical match ups, sounds like the major issue is tournament balance, and finishing in a timed game.

thanks for the input fellas, was a little demoralized when I read online yesterday, but good now :)
like games? I do too, checkout my gaming blog and leave a comment or two. www.fungamesroom.com

david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Robert241167 wrote:Don't worry Spike, my dailami fresh from their victory in the 650 pointer you couldn't attend this weekend will soon bring your reign to an end !! :twisted:

Rob

Only if you want average troops I'm sure my superior ones will deal a death blow to those chessey Swiss......

Sarmaticus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Sarmaticus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:00 am

[quote="spike(I'd bring a Cookoo clock if I owned one :twisted: )[/quote]
Pace Orson Welles, cuckoo clocks were invented in the Black Forest in Germany :|

spike
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by spike » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Sarmaticus wrote:[quote="spike(I'd bring a Cookoo clock if I owned one :twisted: )
Pace Orson Welles, cuckoo clocks were invented in the Black Forest in Germany :|[/quote]

I'm glad to see you watch QI, the Swiss did not invent the folding penknife either (there are Roman examples of these).
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin

A fool and his money are soon elected.
Will Rogers

Pitty the fool!!!
Mr T

thefrenchjester
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by thefrenchjester » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 pm

spike wrote:
Sarmaticus wrote:[quote="spike(I'd bring a Cookoo clock if I owned one :twisted: )
Pace Orson Welles, cuckoo clocks were invented in the Black Forest in Germany :|
I'm glad to see you watch QI, the Swiss did not invent the folding penknife either (there are Roman examples of these).[/quote]

and apart folding penknife, what the romans brought to us ????????

sorry Brian ;-) it was too easy to not reply to this message;-)

Best regards

thefrenchjester " beards?????? rocks?????? don't say his name ;-) "

ShrubMiK
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ShrubMiK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Heh, it seems we have similar taste in comedy as well as music. Guess where the "Shrub" part of my name comes from? ;)

thefrenchjester

Post by thefrenchjester » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:18 pm

ShrubMiK wrote:Heh, it seems we have similar taste in comedy as well as music. Guess where the "Shrub" part of my name comes from? ;)

don't know ???????? I don't drink alcohol, so difficult for me to guess something on your occupations apart the wargame and music ;-)

perhaps from your main meal preference ?????? or your gear style ?????

please, help me, give me some evidence, a picture or anything else;

romanes eunt domus! romanes eunt domus! romanes eunt domus !

Best regards

thefrenchjester " don't call me big nose ! ;-) "

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:30 pm

We want a ????????
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

thefrenchjester

Post by thefrenchjester » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:41 pm

philqw78 wrote:We want a ????????

do you like gladiatoral movies ??????? ;-)

have you already seen men coated with oil ????? ;-)

sorry ! I get out :arrow:

best regards

thefrenchjester " french automatic pilot ;-) "

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:18 pm

The knights who say Neee. They want a shrubbery.

perhaps shrubMK is a shrubber.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

thefrenchjester

Post by thefrenchjester » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

philqw78 wrote:The knights who say Neee. They want a shrubbery.

perhaps shrubMK is a shrubber.
Roger is a shrubber, shrubmik is not a shrubber , I hope for him;

If I only knew what it means ????????????

thefrenchjester " who doesn't say Neeeeee!!!!!!! , even at Crecy, Poitiers and Agincourt ;-) "

eldiablito
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by eldiablito » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:46 pm

I guess I'll stick to V1. It's the $ issue of buying an iPad first. Ouch! That's a lot of $ to buy a single rulebook.

Sarmaticus

Post by Sarmaticus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 pm

ShrubMiK wrote:Heh, it seems we have similar taste in comedy as well as music. Guess where the "Shrub" part of my name comes from? ;)
I don't have a tv and when I did have one, I lost all faith in QI when it tried to tell me the sky was orange to Homer - citing passages relating to Sun rising like a bronze shield! Thus mangling the vaild point about the peculiarities of the naming for colours in different languages. The inside gen on the cuckoo clock comes from being married to a Swiss - who's distant ancestor died fighting the French in 1798 :shock:
Welles also had the the other part of the bon mot wrong: Switzerland, by 1949, had not had 500 years of democracy and peace.It's a great line in a great scene in an excellent film though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv1QDlWbS8g :)
To return to the point, sticking with V1 is an option but it adds another zombie set to the collection of Warlord and DBM.
I stand to be corrected but I don't think the substance of the V2 changes can be copyright, though their form of expression would be. Let's face it, most of the mechanisms in FoG aren't original.
The whole V2 situation seems either a sad shambles or a cynical ploy - or maybe both :cry:

nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 pm

If you can't get a printed copy,I for one will not be rushing to play v2. If the only way to play at comp. theni hope my opponent has a copy.

I can see the logic of going digital and I would support a printed copy to follow. But with all the play testing I can't see why amendments would be needed? Therefore why can't you get a copyright legal copy with the digital?

So at comps not only will we need to avoid , army boxes and flasks etc but also trip hazards from the extensions leads everyone will need for the power leads for our tablets we will be forced to bring:)

Well if it goes digital does it mean we no longer shout "umpire" but just email/Facebook him :) with page urls and pictures?
Proelium: Wargaming rules for 3000B.C. - 1901A.D.
Hordes of Models and Buckets of Dice
Web: www.quickplayrules.com
Social: www.facebook.com/quickplayrules
Twitter: @quickplayrules

davidandlynda

Post by davidandlynda » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 pm

You could try facebooking this umpire but you'd be waiting a long time,it takes me awhile to work out how to answer a phone
David

johno

Post by johno » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Personally, I'll probably stick with v1 for a while, not least because the current competitors seem so dire.

Unfortunately, some members of the Plymouth club are already experimenting with other sets (Hail Caesar, et al), so I may be short of opponents soon.

Maybe I'll do what I did when DBM/DBMM collapsed: put my Ancient armies away, get my Orks out, and play Warhammer 40K. They have just released a new 6th edition, after all - complete with substantial hardback rulebook!

johno
John Orange

Club Web Site: Plymouth Association of Wargamers

Family Web Site: The Oranges

Jilu

Post by Jilu » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:56 am

david53 wrote:
Polkovnik wrote:In my group we'll be sticking with V1 unless a printable version of V2 comes out.
I'm with you why at the start of the beta phase of V2 they did'nt raise this paperless issue it might have saved a lot of time then.
yes indeed

ValentinianVictor

Post by ValentinianVictor » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:21 pm

johno wrote:Personally, I'll probably stick with v1 for a while, not least because the current competitors seem so dire.

Unfortunately, some members of the Plymouth club are already experimenting with other sets (Hail Caesar, et al), so I may be short of opponents soon.

Maybe I'll do what I did when DBM/DBMM collapsed: put my Ancient armies away, get my Orks out, and play Warhammer 40K. They have just released a new 6th edition, after all - complete with substantial hardback rulebook!

johno
It's a rather sweeping statement to say DBM and DBMM have collapsed. Actually at the moment you have DBMM seeing a slow but steady player growth, most major comps in the UK seeing at least 30 players attending and also being very healthily played in Europe. DBM may well undergo a resurgence now that Phil Barker has given consent for the publication of V3.2. And that perhaps gives you guys something to think about. Why dont you petition RBS to give you the rights to FOGA V1 so that you can do your own thing with it?

Failing that, I'm sure that if you were looking for another ruleset you would all find a warm welcome in the DBMM fold. But, to be honest I'd rather see you fight for the game you enjoy playing and put your case as strongly as possible for a printed version of FOGA so that you can continue your wargaming enjoyment.

And if they do this for FOGA how long will it be before FOGR and FOGN becomes digital only eh?

Caliph
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Caliph » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm

I'll continue to play V1 at the club. Pity there won't be a printed or printable copy, it would make my rubbish armies slightly less so. Then all they'd need would be a better commander!

urbanbunny1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by urbanbunny1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:14 pm

i can see most of Central London staying V1 or moving over to FoGR or DBMMMMMMM.

A few people have already suggested that we just add in the published changes on the forum and go from there. There is nothing really wrong with the rules as they stand now, just a few minor tweaks needed to stop the skirmisher armies being too strong.

What I can see a few of us doing is working out the differences and adding them to the game.

Slim

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”