So is v2 any good?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

So is v2 any good?

Post by navigator » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:05 pm

So what do all you early adopters think to V2? better, improved, changed? It would be interesting to hear what you think so that all the late adopters can be enthused before the wood based platform is released ..

any armies affected for better or worse?

is the game speeded up/simplified?
Will it generate enthusiasm for the next few years?
cheers
paul

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: So is v2 any good?

Post by grahambriggs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:20 pm

No response on that one yet. I wonder how many people who downloaded the electronic version are using it in their games? I get the impression from those I know that most are waiting for the paper version.

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm playing a game tomorrow...

list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:58 pm

I've played half a dozen games so far. The meta hasn't really changed that much. To be honest I'm an Ipad fan and I'll be waiting for the printed version... its just too clunky and slow. When you need to look up something quickly 'grey bar land' is not what you want.

As for the rules , they're fine... but deffo a bug fix version - no great shakes. Overall having spent 2 years playing FoG:R going back to A I find it 'clunky'.

I see more people picking up DBMM all of a sudden :roll:

SDnz
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by SDnz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:47 pm

I have played eight games so far and I am finding it enjoyable. The 3 mu shooting for mounted is a big nerf in fighting HF. The retiring 2 mu sounds good and is useful but a 3mu shooting range is not all powerful.

Balanced armies are alot more useful instead of filling up with one or two troop types.

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:25 pm

So only two or three people on here have actually played games with FOG2. That says something about the take up of the electronic version I suppose. :shock:

marty
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by marty » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:29 pm

I've played games with a few other people as well. I like the changes by and large.

I know many more people who are waiting for the book though.

Martin

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:42 am

marty wrote:I've played games with a few other people as well. I like the changes by and large.

I know many more people who are waiting for the book though.

Martin
I'm building a FoG:R army for CanCon. I'll wait until Martin has a v2 print version and play a game or two with him before deciding what I'm doing. I'll also be hanging around CanCon's FoG:AM tables to see what I think. I've got to say Slitherine REALLY dropped the ball with me when they announced 'digital only'. I know they've fixed that issue, but whatever waning enthusiasm I had really had the wind knocked out of my sails. I'll possibly come back, but v2 would have to be manna from heaven for me to imagine the enthusiasm I once had.

ethan
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by ethan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:56 pm

I have at least one more V 1.0 tournament to go and am also basically waiting on the print version.

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:21 am

V2 is not a revolutionary change on V1 - err, apart from the "digital revolution". :oops:

There are a few tweaks that I feel generally improve the game. But its fundamentally the same game. Lower your expectations guys or you may be disappointed!

ShrubMiK
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ShrubMiK » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:52 pm

I'll be having my first game over xmas-new year period...will let you know what I think then!

ValentinianVictor
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ValentinianVictor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:47 am

Polkovnik wrote:So only two or three people on here have actually played games with FOG2. That says something about the take up of the electronic version I suppose. :shock:
What will the situation be I wonder if the electronic sales are very poor, how will that affect the funding for the print version? If the digital version is a failure, how will that affect FOG-A's future? If it has proved to be a damp squib will that deter Sliterine from rolling it out to their other rulesets?

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:06 am

I would have thought (really going out on a limb here) that a quick market research of 'ask the forum what they think' would have gone a long way to avoiding any problems.

They didn't do that - they suffer.

Really - does it matter that much? There have always been an ancient set of rules. Some better than others. The sky ISN'T falling. Something else will come alone and replace it if it fails.

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Polkovnik wrote:So only two or three people on here have actually played games with FOG2. That says something about the take up of the electronic version I suppose. :shock:
Rubbish. What this says is that 2 or 3 people on the forum have played games, have noticed this thread and have bothered to post!

Tell you what, why don't you start a thread "is anyone on here breathing oxygen?". If you only get 2 or 3 replies perhaps you could conclude that the world has stopped breathing?

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by shadowdragon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 pm

ravenflight wrote:I would have thought (really going out on a limb here) that a quick market research of 'ask the forum what they think' would have gone a long way to avoiding any problems.

They didn't do that - they suffer.
Slitherine fixed their "problems" (even the e-version bugs) quite promptly; and some people are still bashing them. Says more about those people than Slitherine. Even the best companies / people make mistakes. What separates the good ones from the bad ones is how they deal with those mistakes, don't you think?

Vespasian28

Post by Vespasian28 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 pm

What separates the good ones from the bad ones is how they deal with those mistakes, don't you think?
Hear, hear!

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:40 pm

grahambriggs wrote:
Rubbish. What this says is that 2 or 3 people on the forum have played games, have noticed this thread and have bothered to post!
Graham, there were over 10,000 posts on the FOG2 Beta testing forum. That shows that there were a lot of people with a lot to say about it before it came out. And I would think that most of the early adopters who have bought the electronic version are just the sort of people who would be posting on here. I think the fact that only a couple of people have commented on it in the month since it came out does say something about the take up.
Normally after a new version of such a popular set of rules is released you would expect a huge increase in forum postings. That has not happened.

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:43 am

shadowdragon wrote:Slitherine fixed their "problems" (even the e-version bugs) quite promptly; and some people are still bashing them. Says more about those people than Slitherine. Even the best companies / people make mistakes.
They DIDN'T fix their problem - the printed edition still isn't out (or is it?), and I'm not 'bashing' the product. I'm saying that they made a mistake and for ME that mistake cost them my interest in the system - which was waning already and now has waned into almost non-existence. I have a few friends who will be playing in CanCon which is supposedly a V2 comp (I'm really not sure - I don't think the printed edition isn't out yet and... well... it hasn't been decided) and I'll be interested to see what happens. I've pretty much switched over to FoG:R and will afterwards probably look at something totally different.

This is in part because Slitherine dropped the ball so far as I'm concerned.
shadowdragon wrote:What separates the good ones from the bad ones is how they deal with those mistakes, don't you think?
It does matter what they do, but no matter what they do a mistake will cost sales.

The rules SHOULD have been on the shelves months ago. They weren't because of that mistake. They are fixing the mistake and good on them, but in the mean time people will go 'OH look, a squirrel :shock: ' and go chase something else.

By way of example, I'm on a very limited budget right now. I don't think I've ever been on a more restricted budget. I most definitely would have used some of my funds and bought the rules in a written format had they came out around August/September when we were expecting the rules to come out. That may have caused me to attend the V2 rules comp at MOAB and CanCon (the two biggest East Coast Australian wargames conventions). As it stands I probably wont buy them when they come out. I'll probably play using a friends rules and if I like them will use my restricted budget to buy a set of the rules. It is possible that my interest will go toward some other set of rules in the mean time and I'll buy them instead.

Ultimately, the mistake is going to cost... and it was a pretty huge mistake. It was like saying moments before the release of the latest Corvette that the ONLY way you can buy it is as an electric car. You have thousands of petrol swigging muscle car enthusiasts going... "err... WTF?"

ShrubMiK

Post by ShrubMiK » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:29 pm

...yawn...

ShrubMiK

Post by ShrubMiK » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Polkovnik wrote:
grahambriggs wrote:
Graham, there were over 10,000 posts on the FOG2 Beta testing forum. That shows that there were a lot of people with a lot to say about it before it came out. And I would think that most of the early adopters who have bought the electronic version are just the sort of people who would be posting on here. I think the fact that only a couple of people have commented on it in the month since it came out does say something about the take up.
Normally after a new version of such a popular set of rules is released you would expect a huge increase in forum postings. That has not happened.
If you go check in the tech support thread you'll find some names in there of people who have bought it but haven't posted an AAR.

What does that tell us? Not very much. Which by curious coincidence...

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”