Most useful Inca auxiliaries?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

khurasan_miniatures
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Most useful Inca auxiliaries?

Post by khurasan_miniatures » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi, looking for some feedback from the gamers on the most useful subject troops in the Inca list. So far the guards with halberds, veterans/guards with spear, line troopers with spear, levies with spear and levies with sling have been made.

Will have generals and the first batch of subjects made next. Which would you consider most essential to support the army?

marty
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Most useful Inca auxiliaries?

Post by marty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 pm

I have played with Inca a lot and usually use subject archers and Canari with their longspears (including the Canari "Guard" option).

Having said that I'm not sure my Inca will ever take the table again in FOG ancients. They were hard to use before and copped a savage beating from the V2 changes. I still use them occasionaly in FOG R, mainly for the sake of variety when I get tired of constant pike/shot battles.

Martin

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:11 am

marty wrote:Having said that I'm not sure my Inca will ever take the table again in FOG ancients.
Ahh, but haven't you heard the old tabletop gamers adage - take an army you love even when it loses! Prove how much you love the Inca Martin...

marty

Post by marty » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:18 am

Its the pain of the broken-hearted Ravenflight. I've been hurt too many times before.

If my models were as attractive as the Khurasanian ones I would probably be more willing to overlook the armies many flaws. Which I suppose serves to continue the romance analogy.

Martin

Jhykronos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Jhykronos » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:39 pm

khurasan_miniatures wrote:Will have generals and the first batch of subjects made next. Which would you consider most essential to support the army?
Definitely Canari and/or Chanca long spear types.

khurasan_miniatures

Post by khurasan_miniatures » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks, those and the forest archers seem to be the most popular answer, although there hasn't been a lot of feedback.

On the forest archers, I think the Inca forced them to wear clothing when on campaign, or perhaps they just wore it because they were taken into cooler climates by their overlords. But it's tempting to make them naked so they can be used as indigenous fighters. Thoughts?

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I'd suggest the forest archers would be better without any Inca inflicted clothing. That way they could also wbe used in amazonian armies with just body dye and feathers.

khurasan_miniatures

Post by khurasan_miniatures » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:30 pm

That's certainly the right answer from a marketing perspective! :)

I have to check The Book (Heath's Armies of the 16th Century) tonight to see if they were ever reported as fighting naked as Inca auxiliaries.

Intothevalley
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Intothevalley » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:41 pm

Hmmm, I'm a bit late to this discussion but I've been leafing through Blood and Gold lately and am toying with the idea of doing a Chimu army (probably ill-advisedly). I note that Chimu are available in the main Inca list as a contingent, and there is an option to have them as an ally. Might give an interesting slant to the Inca army having a bunch of heavy-weapon armed nutters, as well as giving wargamers an option to field a whole army of them (and maybe morphable into Mohica)! 1 pack of nobles and 1 pack of commoners should cover it (plus generic atlatl throwers).

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”