Basing and winning over WAB players

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

pcelella
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Basing and winning over WAB players

Post by pcelella »

Hi there all.

I saw a Field of Glory demo at Historicon, and was very impressed. Enough so that I just pre-ordered the rules and have received my beta copy - yay!

Anyway, at my gaming club, there are already quite a few players with Warhammer Ancient Battles armies that I would love to convince to give FoG a try. It would seem that with the use of movement stands to represent elements this could be done. For close order infantry, the number of figs wouldn't match the standard, but that is only a recommendation. Cavalry would end up 50mm deep instead of 40mm (with only two figs on a base - 3 wouldn't fit), but it doesn't seem that would really matter either, would it?

Does this sound doable?

Thanks all

Peter C
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

What you suggest is fine. The WAB players at my club are all very interested and have played 25mm FoG using WAB figures with no major issues.

The only minor problems are that you can only get 2 WAB cavalry figures on a FoG base and you can't get 4 infantry on close order bases. Neither of these problems affect play, just the visuals. The depth is a non issue, it really doesn't matter.

There will I believe be a section in the FoG rules for playing FoG with figures based for other rules.
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

James is correct. The basing is not crucial so long as both armies are the same.

Hope you enjoy

REgards
JDM
pcelella

Post by pcelella »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I do have several armies of my own, that are already based WRG style - I was using them for Warrior games. I was thinking of using these against club friends that have WAB armies. That should work too, right?

Peter
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pcelella wrote:I do have several armies of my own, that are already based WRG style - I was using them for Warrior games. I was thinking of using these against club friends that have WAB armies. That should work too, right?
Yes
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Basing and winning over WAB players

Post by babyshark »

pcelella wrote:Hi there all.

I saw a Field of Glory demo at Historicon, and was very impressed. Enough so that I just pre-ordered the rules and have received my beta copy - yay!
Glad you liked it. (JD, do I get some sort of extra bonus for this?)

The only issue I would have is if you go to tournaments or events outside the club. People will be expecting to see things done in the proper way: three cav to a base, for instance. Otherwise, do whatever helps get people interested.

As an aside, I am planning to run a FoG event at Cold Wars next March. 15mm for sure, and 25mm as well if there is enough interest.

Marc
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

babyshark wrote:The only issue I would have is if you go to tournaments or events outside the club. People will be expecting to see things done in the proper way: three cav to a base, for instance.
As the FoG rules specifically allow Warhammer based troops to have less figures to a "base" than normal, I don't really see on what basis tournament organisers should not allow it.
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark »

rbodleyscott wrote:
babyshark wrote:The only issue I would have is if you go to tournaments or events outside the club. People will be expecting to see things done in the proper way: three cav to a base, for instance.
As the FoG rules specifically allow Warhammer based troops to have less figures to a "base" than normal, I don't really see on what basis tournament organisers should not allow it.
Well, there you go then.

Marc
Mahatma
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

FoG

Post by Mahatma »

I've pre-ordered aswell and eagerly await the beta rules so I can start converting the local wargaming club from Warhammer fantasy to FoG.

How many BG's are needed for the largest and smallest 800 points army (I assume 800 points is the 'standard' size like 2000 points is the standard for warhammer fantasy)?

I see xyston and corvus belli do army deals that contain about 15 elements/BG's for about £20-30. If I can get an army for less than £30 I'll be so happy because then the other people at the club will be eager to start collecting if all goes well.

One more thing, how long will an 800vs800 point game take to finish if both players are familiar with the rules?
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Re: FoG

Post by hammy »

Mahatma wrote:I've pre-ordered aswell and eagerly await the beta rules so I can start converting the local wargaming club from Warhammer fantasy to FoG.

How many BG's are needed for the largest and smallest 800 points army (I assume 800 points is the 'standard' size like 2000 points is the standard for warhammer fantasy)?

I see xyston and corvus belli do army deals that contain about 15 elements/BG's for about £20-30. If I can get an army for less than £30 I'll be so happy because then the other people at the club will be eager to start collecting if all goes well.

One more thing, how long will an 800vs800 point game take to finish if both players are familiar with the rules?
FoG armies are going to cost about the same as DBM armies, the army packs you are looking at are more likely aimed at DBA (DBM's little brother).

As an example the army I used on Monday comprised:

4 BG's each of 4 bases of 3 mounted figures - 48 mounted
5 BG's each of 8 bases of 4 foot figures - 160 foot
1 BG of 6 bases of 2 foot figures - 12 foot
4 comanders each being a base of 3 cavalry (although you can get away with less) 12 mounted

Total 60 mounted and 172 foot.

From Essex that would be about 37 packs of figures for a cost of just under £70.
Alternatively there are some very good and cheap plastic 1/72 scale (20-23mm) figures available from the likes of Hat, Zvezda and Italeri.

I would certainly expect that an unpainted 15mm metal army is going to cost less than £100 and a plastic 20mm one will cost about £60-70.

EDIT: My game on Monday took about 2 1/2 hours total.

Hope this helps
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark »

I expect that Hammy's reply is right on the money, with the caveat that your mileage will vary depending on the type of army you choose. An army based on heavy foot might cost more to create do to the use of more overall bases (most foot BGs having 6-8 bases rather than 4-6 bases for most mounted BGs). Similarly an army composed of high quality, drilled troops will likely cost less than an army composed mostly of lower quality troops.

Having said that, I think his example of the number of figures needed is probably pretty close to an average army.

Marc
pbeccas
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by pbeccas »

I play WAB in 28mm and used to play DBA and DBM in 15mm. I will be very happy to get the 15mm figures out of the shed and play FoG. I can see myself enjoying both rulesets in different scales. I am hoping FoG in 15mm will give that feeling of a big army and a big battle.
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark »

Are you based in the US? Will you be going to Cold Wars? I will be running a FoG tournament . . . .

Marc
pbeccas

Post by pbeccas »

:) I wish I could go but I am a bit far away. I just fixed up my profile to reflect my location.
Thanks
Paul

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”