Oh No!!!

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Has the FoG bug bitten you yet?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:34 am

Yes, I'm addicted. AAAAAAARRRHGHHHHH!!!!
51%
Not yet but I can feel it creeping up on me.
23%
No, but I do get slightly sweaty when I start thinking about when the lists and rules will arrive
23%
No, it's not gripped me yet
2%

Total votes: 43

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Oh No!!!

Post by madaxeman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:34 am

After coming back from Godendag I've already gone online and bought some new 15mm figures - for the first first time in about 4 years. :oops:

I'm also mentally working out which stuff I should put on ebay to either get rid of odd elements that are now no longer of use, or just to sell off some stuff with a view to upgrading and replacing some of my older figures.... :shock:

I also missed not having army lists to take on a long flight last night.... :?

Im now worried about what might happen when I actually get the army lists in a couple of weeks time... :shock:

All this must mean that I've been bitten by FoG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Tim
www.madaxeman.com (for all youf FoG book related needs)
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

rayfredjohn
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by rayfredjohn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:41 am

Good to hear Tim.

I've played about 10 games now and feel really positive about wargaming again. I gave up on DBM after last years challenge. Down at Reigate I feel I can compete with the Uber players under FOG and not just make up the numbers. Anyway, gotta dash off for a game of "Flames of War" with Madigan. Boy those Germans are tough.

Ray Duggins

kustenjaeger
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by kustenjaeger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Greetings

I've not yet got the rules or lists and had to firmly stop myself from trying to speed up Amazon by paying postage (rather than free delivery). I've used the army creation software, bought a copy of Landmark Herodotus and dug out my unpainted hoplites and part painted Polybians ...

Regards
Edward

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:41 pm

I'm not addicted, I can stop thinking about FoG any time I want!
(note: I've played as many games of FoG as I've played DBM games in 2007 in total and there's one more FoG game tonight at the club!)

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:43 pm

My only worry is how all of us wargamers will convince our loved one that FoG rules & army lists will make the perfect late Valentine's day gift this year.

davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by davidandlynda » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm ahead on the figure front,12 bases of bosporans plus 4 general bases were painted the weekend before Usk,as to valentines presents the 1st thing Lynda said to me on return was how many copies of rules are you getting,I ought to have my own,needless to say another is now ordered.
Some of us are so lucky
David :)

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:15 pm

Well if you count all the figures I bought for FoG specifically last year....

4 bases Arab generals
24 bases Ghilmen
12 bases Arab heavy lancers
12 bases Turkoman light horse
12 bases Turkoman cavalry
12 bases Ghaznavid Archers
6 Ghaznavid elephants
24 bases Dailami (including more archers)

I think that was about it. I bought them all in the first flush of my FoG conversion :oops: Then as time passed and I played learning game after learning game the flush diminished until before Usk I was having doubts :cry: but as the tournament went on and I stopped having to teach the game and could finally really try to play the game rather than experience the game the memories started to flood back and now I am heading back to addiction :P

Nick
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Not got the rules yet

but am busy buying in hordes of Baccus Late Romans ready for their arrival

list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:38 pm

Having actually seen the finished printed rules and lists at the weekend - I suspect that any fence sitters will be swayed by the lush production values - very nice...

If 'ancients' luddites can be swayed?! ... There were still some antique figures (spagetti pikes) on parade at Usk! :oops: :wink:

ars_belli
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ars_belli » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 pm

I, for one, am perfectly happy to leave the genuine ancients 'luddites' to their own preferred rule sets... :wink:

Cheers,
Scott

neilhammond
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by neilhammond » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm less interested in collecting a new army - I've already got more than I can sensibly play so I tend to only collect the odd few bases to allow army morphing.

The challange that Clive Vaughan and I have set ourselves it to is attempting to convert the local Peterborough club to FOG. They all lost interested in DBM many years ago and play a variety of rules, including Warhammer Ancients and, more recently, Crusader. The plan is to base their warhammer figures on (probably 25mm) bases and run a few multi player games once the rules are out to whet their appetite.

Neil

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:44 am

neilhammond wrote:I'm less interested in collecting a new army - I've already got more than I can sensibly play so I tend to only collect the odd few bases to allow army morphing.

The challange that Clive Vaughan and I have set ourselves it to is attempting to convert the local Peterborough club to FOG. They all lost interested in DBM many years ago and play a variety of rules, including Warhammer Ancients and, more recently, Crusader. The plan is to base their warhammer figures on (probably 25mm) bases and run a few multi player games once the rules are out to whet their appetite.

Neil
I have already had approaches from the Mailed Fist club who gave up on DBM about 6 years ago and several of them have ordered FoG after a demo game or two.

pbeccas
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by pbeccas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:58 am

I've sent an e-mail to Essex Miniatures asking if they are going to sell FOG army deals. No reply yet. Get on board Essex.

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Hmmm. This appears to be--in political terms--a classic "push poll." Perhaps Mr. Porter's trip through the US took him to South Carolina (a state famous for the savagery of its political process).

:)

Marc

bigredbat

Post by bigredbat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:18 pm

I gave up on WRG back during 6th or 7th, and this is the first set of "proper" wargames rules I've considered in the last decade. I'm not sure whether or not I'll take to them; depends in part whether my opponents like them.

I might even take a little run into Central London Wargames club, and let Mr Madaxeman thrash me!

madaxeman

Post by madaxeman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:42 pm

bigredbat wrote:I gave up on WRG back during 6th or 7th, and this is the first set of "proper" wargames rules I've considered in the last decade. I'm not sure whether or not I'll take to them; depends in part whether my opponents like them.

I might even take a little run into Central London Wargames club, and let Mr Madaxeman thrash me!
1. The "no, its not gripped me" response I submitted somehow didnt make it to the final poll. Slithrine censorship :?: :twisted:

2. I've only won 2 competitve games of FoG. So no real risk there... but the club link is at www.madaxeman.com

tim
www.madaxeman.com

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:48 pm

By the power of my moderator rights I have added the 'missing' option.

Amazingly it didn't reset the count. :P

bigredbat

Post by bigredbat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:17 pm

But first I'd need to establish that the club is still using the cork hills I cut out in 1985? ;-)

Simon

madaxeman

Post by madaxeman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:54 am

bigredbat wrote:But first I'd need to establish that the club is still using the cork hills I cut out in 1985? ;-)

Simon
I think you can rest assured they are still in play....

davem
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by davem » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:14 pm

hammy wrote:By the power of my moderator rights I have added the 'missing' option.

Amazingly it didn't reset the count. :P
Hmmm, looks like the ability to vote has stopped itself?

Regards

Dave M

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”