Back?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Primarch
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Back?

Post by Primarch »

Hey guys,

Thinking of getting back into FoG. Been a good while 3+ years I think? Already play FoW, and figure I would just focus on Historical games, and since I have a few FoG armies laying around...

I am fairly sure there are almost no other players in the Atlanta area willing to play currently, but I could be wrong. That being the case, I don't mind traveling for some FoG games.

I have contacted Chris Anders and Gino Agnelly so far about a comeback. How are the events nowadays? Used to play Seljuk Turks a good bit, but I hear they have been nerfed fairly hard, sigh, guess I will be forced to build a new army? ;)

Anyway, any events going on in the near future that I can jump back in and get my feet wet?

Thanks!

Clay
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Back?

Post by babyshark »

It is certainly true that army choice pendulum (if that is a thing) has swung away from shooty cav armies these days. However, I am not entirely sure that FoG 2.0 has significantly nerfed them. A lot of 2.0 changes directly affect the troop types involved in a shooty cav army, and there is no doubt that a good one would have to be designed differently than under FoG 1.0.

For instance, all skirmishers now shoot only to 3MU, rather than 4. Protected cav are not as vulnerable to shooting. Armored cav not in a single rank are more vulnerable to shooting, however, which cuts both for and against a shooty cav army. Shooty cav in a single rank can now back up 2MU with a CMT, just like LH. There are other relevant changes as well. The short version is that protected and unprotected cav are now more useful than they were, while LH--at least in large numbers--are probably less useful.

Marc

PS. You missed the US Open by a month this year, which is a pity, as it was a good event (as always).
Primarch
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Primarch »

Well, what army is John Martin winning all the tournaments with nowadays then? That might be a good place to start.

Clay
Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy »

Senor Martino spends many happy evenings playing the maracas, to practice his dice throwing action, hence the good rolls? :D
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

Primarch wrote:Well, what army is John Martin winning all the tournaments with nowadays then? That might be a good place to start.
Haven't heard from him in years. He only was winning when no one was looking.
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by berthier »

Dan's Dog Fight is Aug 23rd in Gautier, MS.

700 points on 5x3 table. Scenario Based. I will post something in the tournament section to remind everyone.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
AlanCutner
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by AlanCutner »

Seljuks are still a good list under v2 - just need to be imaginative with them. I've used them with reasonable success for the past year, including a 5th at Britcon and 3rd at Schiltron.
Furry_Pal
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Furry_Pal »

Hi Clay

Good to see you back.
I second what Mark said, there is a place for a couple of units of LH on the table.
I have found that average, protected and unprotected bow, sword cavalry are a much better value than in V. 1
2 ranks have a range of 4" and in single rank can skirmish.
Also with LH only having a 3" Range, at times you get a 4" shot and the LH can't do anything but take it.
I have used them with my Kom. Byzantines with very good success, I would think there is a place for them in the Seljuk army

Hope you can make the tournaments.

Best regards
Joey
Primarch
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Primarch »

Thanks for all the info guys. I have to take stock of my stuff and see what I can field. It's rough starting back up after being gone so long, like starting a new game almost. Hope to be able to start making events soon.

Doubt I will be at that one Chris, lists were due July 12th? I know you can turn them in late, but besides that, I need a bit of practice to even be able to play in a timely manner.
berthier

Post by berthier »

July 12 was a misprint from dan's first draft. August 16 is the list due date.
Christopher Anders
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

Can't think of an easier place to re-learn the rules than the GCC. As for slow play, none of those Southern Boys have seen slow play before so it might give you the edge...
berthier

Post by berthier »

Unless he draws Walt or Badeux
Christopher Anders

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”