More Swiss Questions

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

irondog068
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

More Swiss Questions

Post by irondog068 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:29 am

I plan to play a game very shortly and if Storm of Arrows does not arrive I am guessing on my Swiss stats Tell me if I am wrong

Pike: Elite/Protected/Drilled/Impact
Halbard: Elite/Armored/Drilled/Impact
Crossbow-Handguns: Average?/Unarmored?/Undrilled?
Mouted missle troop: Same as above?
Lorrainers: Average (I read they were not all that thrilled)Hvy Armor/Undrilled/Lance and impact.

Let me know how off base I am. I figure the pike/halbards would be scary rating because well, they were. Also in Storm of Arrows does it have better hand guns? Since by 1500 the gun was getting to be a effective weapon.

Irondog

richnz
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by richnz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:55 am

pikes and halberds are probably superior. There are very few elites in the lists.

irondog068

Post by irondog068 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:32 am

True,
But in the peroid the Swiss fought they were physco beyond the norm. And they would have to rate better than Landsknecht.

So if you rate the Swiss as superior that would put the Landsknect as average putting everyone as as poor. Well that won't fly.
So I think Swiss Elite (Kind of fought that way) Landsknect superior and the bulk of the other pike armed army troops either Average or superior. And the Milta poor. If you make the Swiss just superior Charles the Bold would have had a easier time.

Irondog

stevoid
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by stevoid » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:51 am

Sorry but no Elites! And if you're feel aggrieved then see the Spartan thread (which I truly regret having raised).

Rich is right re the Superior pike and halberdiers. Xbow/HG = drilled and unprotected LF.

Steve

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by madaxeman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:23 am

Landesknechts are slightly out of period I think, and arguably were not materially worse than the swiss they faced - when they actually fought.

Superior Swiss are significantly better than anything else they might face, most pikes are average - and some of the less efficient ones (early Low Countries, some germans) are classified as spearmen, some are poor. You would not want to see Elite Swiss....no-one would!!
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

neilhammond
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by neilhammond » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 am

The Swiss pikes and halberds are superior, the rest of the army is average, except the enfant perdus who are poor.

I agree with Tim that superior seems about right - they weren't better that the knights they faced in terms of morale - what was different was their tactical doctrine was pretty much "in your face" which sometimes worked and sometimes got them into trouble.

Few infantry in the late medieval period are superior - most is either average or poor. So the Swiss do stand out.

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:10 am

I think people are too quick to jump on the Elite classification for their troops. For an army to have Elites, first it needs to be an army where being superior is the norm. Elite would then be the best amongst these which are already some of the best troops in the world at the time!

To give you a totally unbiased example, if the Portuguese football team are all superior (well most of them), then Ronaldo would be elite. But only Ronaldo would be elite...

stevoid

Post by stevoid » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:21 am

carlos wrote:I think people are too quick to jump on the Elite classification for their troops. For an army to have Elites, first it needs to be an army where being superior is the norm. Elite would then be the best amongst these which are already some of the best troops in the world at the time!

To give you a totally unbiased example, if the Portuguese football team are all superior (well most of them), then Ronaldo would be elite. But only Ronaldo would be elite...
I think you mean effete, not elite :wink:

And of course Jose would be an IC!

Steve

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:34 am

You are both incorrect and correct, respectively :)

durrati
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by durrati » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:48 am

carlos wrote: To give you a totally unbiased example, if the Portuguese football team are all superior (well most of them), then Ronaldo would be elite. But only Ronaldo would be elite...
Elite Toops (Definition) - Troops that look very showy and run around alot, at the first hint of physical contact they will throw themselves to the ground and roll around in apparent agony, crying for their mum.

Well, by that definition Ronaldo is indeed elite. Not sure if Ceasar's best would be that impressed though...........

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:59 am

:D
You don't become the best player in the Premier League by rolling around on the floor and not being physical. :)

spike
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by spike » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:39 am

carlos wrote::D
You don't become the best player in the Premier League by rolling around on the floor and not being physical. :)
It's an ENT disease imported from Europe in the 1970's. There are a lot of players in the EPL suffering from this "inner ear imbalance" syndrome, which gets worse when they cross the line forming the 18 yard area. Some suffer from a far worse 2nd stage of the disease- "Hit by a feather, shot from the grassy knoll reaction" as per Rivaldo

:lol:
Spike

irondog068

Post by irondog068 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:40 pm

well if everyone else is scum I can swallow SWiss being superior. But if the Landskenct show up they have to be better in something because well, they were. And the Landskenect would show up by 1500.

By the way let me know when you guys talk about a sport that lets you use all your god given limbs like oh, Rugby.

Irondog

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Shrovetide Football has been played in Derbyshire since the 12th Century, the first rule is not to murder. But this year’s game has been rocked with the allegations of a replica ball being used.

The Up’ards 2-0 win could be overturned.

Makes the US sport's scandals look tame in comparison.

Now THAT is a real sport !

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:47 pm

carlos wrote:I think people are too quick to jump on the Elite classification for their troops.
Same idea as every napoleonic gamer who painted up the french old guard first.

irondog068

Post by irondog068 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:27 am

Before you guys goup me with the guys who paint nothing but Old Guard, 95th Rifles and the like let me tell you something about how my armies run.
I have painted not 1 but 3 Italian armies for WW2 (only 1 unit of Folgore for my RSI army, oh make that 4 Italain armies). If that was not enough punishment I did a 1 Italain army for WW1 and have the figures for a second (EW and LW). So I know a little about pushing around sucky troops.

I was just wondering how the Swiss (better) would rate next to the Landsknect (not as good). They were around in a early Italian wars army. Still in the 1500 time line.

Irondog

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:20 am

irondog068 wrote:I was just wondering how the Swiss (better) would rate next to the Landsknect (not as good). They were around in a early Italian wars army. Still in the 1500 time line.
Swiss pikes = Superior
Landsknechts (pre 1500) = Average
French pikes = Poor

We have not considered the later performance of Landsknechts as the rules only cover up to 1500.

kustenjaeger

Post by kustenjaeger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:04 am

Greetings
rbodleyscott wrote:
irondog068 wrote:I was just wondering how the Swiss (better) would rate next to the Landsknect (not as good). They were around in a early Italian wars army. Still in the 1500 time line.
Swiss pikes = Superior
Landsknechts (pre 1500) = Average
French pikes = Poor

We have not considered the later performance of Landsknechts as the rules only cover up to 1500.
I would think that for the early years of the Italian Wars this is still pretty consistent. I'm not sure how one would rate Spanish foot but they needed defences to hold in a number of cases so I assume were probably Average at best.

Regards
Edward

irondog068

Post by irondog068 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:56 pm

Okay I guess that makes scense. I was suprised in Storm Arrows on a couple of things
1) I think the Swiss should still be elite but with everyone else average at best it seems okay. Have not played yet and seen what a heavy cavalry charge with gerdames will do to a pike block.

2) Swiss are rated as armored. I would think protected. Most accounts I read said they were not that well armored.

Still both Rise of Rome and Storm of Arrows look really good. I may even do a Brugdian or Holy Roman army to fight my Swiss.

Irondog

andy63
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by andy63 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:05 pm

Irondog you will find that all swiss HI are protected and not Armoured.

Andy.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”