Advice with skirmishing cavalry

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:27 am

On the other hand be careful about who you charge in the flank - even at -ve PoAs many troops can beat up LH and the LH will only get 1/2 their dice unless fighting other skirmishers. However, as a way to tip the frontal fight it can be useful.

mannmarke
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mannmarke » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:41 am

Other Undrilled Troops still need to pass a CMT to turn and face you with a -1 for disr so they can still work well against Undrilled troops.

Mark

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:46 am

mannmarke wrote:Other Undrilled Troops still need to pass a CMT to turn and face you with a -1 for disr so they can still work well against Undrilled troops.

Mark
Not once they are in melee they don't

The problem using LH against non skirmishers is that you don't automatically disrupt the non skirmishers with a LH charge and once in combat the non skirmishers get full dice while the LH loose 1 in 2.

miffedofreading
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by miffedofreading » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:13 pm

My experiences so far have been as Hammy mention. In fact last game my opponent had the numidians he did not quite get around the flank of my cav so decided to charge anyway and count the numidians as little more than an overlap.....

This actually HELPED me. I kept losing the main cav on cav action but the numidians achieved nothing and i kept inflicting one cas on them which was enough to stop me losing the mian fight badly!!!! Let's say my opponent was not chuffed and queried whose side the numidians were on :)

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:51 pm

In FOG you have to realise that skirmishers are just that... skirmishers.

They are good to harrass heavier enemy troops and Light horse can be of value if you can get them into the flank of a BG that is already fighting to the front.

People who expect the DBM style devastation of a lone element of light cavalry hitting the flank of an enemy formation will be very dissapointed by the way light horse work in FoG. People who get a couple of BGs of light horse and engage heavier enemy troops with missiles then evade out of the way when charged and come back and do it all again will see far better results.

Luddite
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Luddite » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:27 pm

hammy wrote:In FOG you have to realise that skirmishers are just that... skirmishers.

They are good to harrass heavier enemy troops and Light horse can be of value if you can get them into the flank of a BG that is already fighting to the front.

People who expect the DBM style devastation of a lone element of light cavalry hitting the flank of an enemy formation will be very dissapointed by the way light horse work in FoG. People who get a couple of BGs of light horse and engage heavier enemy troops with missiles then evade out of the way when charged and come back and do it all again will see far better results.
This is very good news!

The first DBM army i bought (before we'd even played much) was Mongols...when i saw how they performed under DBM i was disgusted (and almost threw the towel in on the rules right there)..

The KEY aspect of the Mongol force - skirmishing light horse archers that, as you say, approach-fire-flee-approach-fire-flee-approach-fire-flee, etc., with the heavier cavalry going in only once the enemy was disrupted by the skirmishing, is impossible in DBM (LH don't shoot?!?!?! Are you sure...let me just scour the rules on that one...hmmm...oh dear... (don't get me wrong - DBM tournament player for many years, but loving the new FoG rules).

I'm using Parthians against a LImp Roman force this week, mainly to try out my 'Mongol' tactics (pretty much the same as the Parthian tactics really, as Carrhae shows).

I'll be using the LH to delay, prick at the bulk of the Roman force while having the Cataphracts fall on a flank. Basically the skirmish tactics you describe. Hope they work!

BrotherCrow
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Successful Scouting Mission

Post by BrotherCrow » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Hmmm Mr. Luddite, I'm not sure that you should me telling me your tactics in advance.....consider this a successful scouting mission....

You're right though, the game handles Light Horse very well....though I suspect your Parthians will cut the Numidian Ally my MidRepRoman army will be fielding to pieces...

Luddite

Post by Luddite » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:26 pm

Curses...

I'll have to field the Macedonians instead... :twisted: ...hmm...or Armenians...

Actually, what does it matter, its not like you don't know how i play light horse!!! Hehe..

GrumblingGrognard
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by GrumblingGrognard » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:36 am

Forget the flanks... Go for the enemy's camp! :wink:
The Grumbling Grognard

Luddite

Post by Luddite » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:27 am

Aye, goes without saying Groggy...although the pesky Romans have it fortified so its not quite so juicy a target...

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:46 am

As much as I like LH, nothing beats the noise of rattling 8 dice in a cup, as your opponent stares at the 2-3 dice in his hand and gulps in anticipation of the hammering to come. :)

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”