What to do with the Komnenans

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Phillius
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:26 pm

What to do with the Komnenans

Post by Phillius » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:26 am

Hi

I have just received my rules and two supplements and want to get an army based and ready asap to start playing. I could go with the Venetians, who are in the process of being rebased, and tend to be the first army I use with a new set of rules.

However, I remember the Komnenan Byzantines, painted and waiting to be used. I figure, If I am going to rebase, finish basing something, it should be them. (Ihave had some of the units for nearly eight years, and still not used them!)

My problem of course, is that I don't have a list, as they are not published yet. Can anyone give me any indication of what the list for the Komnenans will look like when it is available?

TIA

Phil

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team
Posts: 6137
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:52 am

Post by shall » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 am

Its in swords and Scimitars which is due out soon

Si

Phillius
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:26 pm

Post by Phillius » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:35 am

Thanks Si.

I believe that is 21 April or something?

Can I assume that I can go ahead and start basing my spear, bow and Varangians as if they were in a DBM army?? That will keep me going for a while, until it arrives here in NZ.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:56 am

Phillius wrote:Thanks Si.

I believe that is 21 April or something?

Can I assume that I can go ahead and start basing my spear, bow and Varangians as if they were in a DBM army?? That will keep me going for a while, until it arrives here in NZ.
Everything is on the same bases as the DBM army, except that Skythikon/Turcopouloi can be LH or Cavalry - your choice.

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team
Posts: 6137
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:52 am

Post by shall » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:39 am

Richard is the best man to ask ... I am convinced he dreams of being Alexis Komnenus
:wink:
Si

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:57 am

shall wrote:Richard is the best man to ask ... I am convinced he dreams of being Alexis Komnenus
:wink:
Si
True, but the Dark Side of the Force gripped me yesterday and I fielded Nikaian Byzantines - nice army.

My (800 point) army was:

4 x TC
3 x 4 Latinikon - Drilled, Superior, Heavily Armoured Knights (Lancers, Swordsmen of course)
1 x 4 Vardariots - Drilled, Superior, Protected, Cavalry, Bow, Swordsmen
2 x 4 Byzantine lancers - Drilled, Average, Protected, Cavalry, Lancers, Swordsmen
3 x 4 Skythikon - Undrilled, Average, Protected, Light Horse, Bow, Swordsmen
2 x 8 Foot archers - Average, Unprotected, Bow

vs

Syrian States (Damascus/Aleppo) with later Crusader allies

The Byzantine Latinikon and Vardariots swept all before them.

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team
Posts: 6137
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:52 am

Post by shall » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:01 am

Someone askewd about Elephnats o this evening I am taking a ride wth the full herd of 12... :shock:

Classical Indians

6 BGs each 2 El
3 Bgs each 8 archers Ave MF UnDr UnProt Bw Sw
2 Bgs each 8 javelinment Ave MF UnDr Prot JLS Sw
4 Bgs each 4 cavalry Ave Cv UnDr UnProt JLS

Should be a laugh - I will put up an AAR.

Si

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:27 am

Post by carlos » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:04 am

rbodleyscott wrote:My (800 point) army was:

4 x TC
3 x 4 Latinikon - Drilled, Superior, Heavily Armoured Knights (Lancers, Swordsmen of course)
1 x 4 Vardariots - Drilled, Superior, Protected, Cavalry, Bow, Swordsmen
2 x 4 Byzantine lancers - Drilled, Average, Protected, Cavalry, Lancers, Swordsmen
3 x 4 Skythikon - Undrilled, Average, Protected, Light Horse, Bow, Swordsmen
2 x 8 Foot archers - Average, Unprotected, Bow.
That's a really, really strong army.

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team
Posts: 6137
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:52 am

Post by shall » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:36 am

Except perhaps against 12 elephants!

Si

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:27 am

Post by carlos » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:55 am

True!

nicofig
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: Toulon
Contact:

Post by nicofig » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:00 pm

True in a friendly game but in a tournament ? :?
ImageImage

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:27 am

Post by carlos » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:24 pm

Well, there are strong armies out there, what can you do? Still, it's got its weak points regarding terrain and pikemen frontally (and elephants!) so it's not an automatic game winner by any means.

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team
Posts: 6137
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:52 am

Post by shall » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:25 pm

There are no automatic game winners that I have found yet in FOG, nor any uplayable armies either. All armies playable and most games winnable.

Si

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:27 am

Post by carlos » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:27 pm

That's okay, but I still don't know how to win w/ my Nubians. The beta list I was sent had only unprotected archers and jls LF! I guess I can hide through the whole game but that's it I think.

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team
Posts: 6137
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:52 am

Post by shall » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Giant army though.

2 LF flank marches

Big bow block in middle set well back and with rear support

massive amount of jav skirmishing

kill off all enemy skirmishers

use rough terrain well

And it will give you a chance

Si

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:27 am

Post by carlos » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:29 pm

It's a plan! They were the DBM army I had the most success with funnily enough. Not having the Wb(F) is a big blow. Can I maybe persuade the writers to include some sort of light spear MF?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:05 pm

carlos wrote:It's a plan! They were the DBM army I had the most success with funnily enough. Not having the Wb(F) is a big blow. Can I maybe persuade the writers to include some sort of light spear MF?
It is not too late to persuade us of anything you can find good evidence for. Just present the evidence.

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:27 am

Post by carlos » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Hey Richard, just found a wall painting of a Nubian with a spear and a shield. If you wait a few more minutes I can produce a Nubian knight too or maybe some Nubian elephants!

Image

ars_belli
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: USA

Post by ars_belli » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:52 am

:shock:

:o

:lol:

Cheers,
Scott

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:09 am

Post by Fenton » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:11 am

shall wrote:Someone askewd about Elephnats o this evening I am taking a ride wth the full herd of 12... :shock:

Classical Indians

6 BGs each 2 El
3 Bgs each 8 archers Ave MF UnDr UnProt Bw Sw
2 Bgs each 8 javelinment Ave MF UnDr Prot JLS Sw
4 Bgs each 4 cavalry Ave Cv UnDr UnProt JLS

Should be a laugh - I will put up an AAR.

Si

Hmm Just thinking about this, 12 elephants in 1/72 would look pretty cool I reckon, wouldnt take up too much of the old pay packet either

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”