Wolves From The Sea now available!

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by davidandlynda »

Advance notice so you can start painting and dusting the Derby round of the BHGS Doubles in December will be using this book plus Oath of Fealty albeit the date will be limited to before 1140AD
David
Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy »

Seeing as how we still have not had any access to the latest list over here, can someone tell me what the Middle Anglo-Saxon lists looklike ?

Cheers
daleivan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by daleivan »

Scrumpy wrote:Seeing as how we still have not had any access to the latest list over here, can someone tell me what the Middle Anglo-Saxon lists looklike ?

Cheers
More interesting than I would have thought, but then again, I like infantry :wink:

Lots of HF protected offensive spear, in various grades, with cavalry as an option. A good friend of mine was thinking about building the army of Alfred the Great--I think he'll be pleased.

Dale
PyrrhicVictory
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by PyrrhicVictory »

I am liking later Vikings in France, with an ally of Early Medieval French. They will be lacking in rough terrain troops though. But lots of solid OffSpear and a solid BL of Sup Lancer Cav does look interesting.
LambertSimnel
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by LambertSimnel »

daleivan wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:Seeing as how we still have not had any access to the latest list over here, can someone tell me what the Middle Anglo-Saxon lists looklike ?

Cheers
More interesting than I would have thought, but then again, I like infantry :wink:

Lots of HF protected offensive spear, in various grades, with cavalry as an option.
Dale
Not just cavalry, but good cavalry. Depending on the date you select they can have up to 18 Armoured Superior or up to 22 Protected Superior.

EDIT Rising to 24 Armoured Superior or 22 Protected Superior and 4 Armoured Superior with allies. All spear chuckers naturally.
DaiSho
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by DaiSho »

PyrrhicVictory wrote:I am liking later Vikings in France, with an ally of Early Medieval French. They will be lacking in rough terrain troops though. But lots of solid OffSpear and a solid BL of Sup Lancer Cav does look interesting.
Can 'Freemen' be Heavy Weapon? I know huscarls can be. I think if you can have Freemen as Heavy Weapon then there is your rough terrain troops.

Ian
LambertSimnel

Post by LambertSimnel »

DaiSho wrote:
PyrrhicVictory wrote:I am liking later Vikings in France, with an ally of Early Medieval French. They will be lacking in rough terrain troops though. But lots of solid OffSpear and a solid BL of Sup Lancer Cav does look interesting.
Can 'Freemen' be Heavy Weapon? I know huscarls can be. I think if you can have Freemen as Heavy Weapon then there is your rough terrain troops.

Ian
Only the Huscarls. The Viking Freemen have to be Off Spear and the French foot is Def Spear and unprotected archers, none of which are going to be beating up Dailami in orchards.
DaiSho

Post by DaiSho »

LambertSimnel wrote: Only the Huscarls. The Viking Freemen have to be Off Spear and the French foot is Def Spear and unprotected archers, none of which are going to be beating up Dailami in orchards.
Dailami CAN roll 3's.

Defensive Spear CAN roll 6's.

You're a pessimist Lambert :)

Ian
LambertSimnel

Post by LambertSimnel »

DaiSho wrote:
LambertSimnel wrote: Only the Huscarls. The Viking Freemen have to be Off Spear and the French foot is Def Spear and unprotected archers, none of which are going to be beating up Dailami in orchards.
Dailami CAN roll 3's.

Ian
did I need a 'regularly' in my post?

Come to think of it since we're talking about FoG, not DBM, maybe it 'drilledly' would be better than 'regularly'
azrael86
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by azrael86 »

DaiSho wrote:
Dailami CAN roll 3's.

Ian
And even Dailami do have flanks...

Though if you really want to be competitive in terrain as a viiking have the Irish allies with HW - even with dailami in melee (Sword/spear +, armour +) against HW(+ and cancels armour)...
Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy »

Got to look at a copy of the book yesterday, I am very impressed with the Anglo-Danes.

THe Norman knights charged my Fyrd 10 times, and was bounced 9 times, managing to break one luckless spear. And none of my Fyrd needed a hill to defeat the invaders !

10/10 for the list.
azrael86

Post by azrael86 »

Scrumpy wrote:Got to look at a copy of the book yesterday, I am very impressed with the Anglo-Danes.

THe Norman knights charged my Fyrd 10 times, and was bounced 9 times, managing to break one luckless spear. And none of my Fyrd needed a hill to defeat the invaders !

10/10 for the list.
Doesn't exactly sound right though, does it? 1066 and all that....
Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy »

At Hastings the Saxons would have been on ++ at impact, and ++ in melee against the knights.

Therefore William the Tanner obviously used loaded dice. :D
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Scrumpy wrote:At Hastings the Saxons would have been on ++ at impact, and ++ in melee against the knights.

However, we are working on the assumption that much of the fyrd at Hastings would be rated as Protected, Poor.
Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy »

Even so, they would have been ++ against the knights at impact, and + at melee.

The basic odds would be at impact Spear 63.6 % chance of hitting Knights 36.4 % chance ( 37.5 with a general)

So the Spear should get about 4 hits to 2, and survive to melee.

Where the odds should be 45.5 % hits to the Spear and the same 36-37 % chance for the Knights.

The Knights should in theory then bounce off at the end of the bound.
Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:At Hastings the Saxons would have been on ++ at impact, and ++ in melee against the knights.

However, we are working on the assumption that much of the fyrd at Hastings would be rated as Protected, Poor.
WHy then do you allow so many armoured Fyrd ? WHich battle(s) does this refer too ?
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

Scrumpy wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:

WHy then do you allow so many armoured Fyrd ? WHich battle(s) does this refer too ?
Because the bulk of the better fyrd weren't there. They had served their time earlier in the year and fought at Stamford bridge.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Scrumpy wrote:Even so, they would have been ++ against the knights at impact, and + at melee.

The basic odds would be at impact Spear 63.6 % chance of hitting Knights 36.4 % chance ( 37.5 with a general)

So the Spear should get about 4 hits to 2, and survive to melee.

Where the odds should be 45.5 % hits to the Spear and the same 36-37 % chance for the Knights.

The Knights should in theory then bounce off at the end of the bound.
Which is exactly what happened in the battle (of Hastings), until some of the fyrd pursued routing (or feigned routing, depending on the interpretation you believe) Normans and came off the hill. As the fyrd, despite being Poor, are shock troops, they must CMT not to pursue routed mounted, and, being Undrilled Poor, are likely to fail. The rules also make it quite likely that William will be able to rally any routed Normans.

Whether or not the historical result is the most likely result of a refight under FOG, it is certainly a possible and not unlikely result.

Note that the rules are not based entirely on one (not fully understood) battle. The historical result of any one historical battle is not necessarily the most probable result of that battle if it had been fought historically under exactly the same conditions several times. "Fortunes of War" played a major part in many historical battle results.
Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy »

Of course, I still believe in rolling better than an opponent, never fails to win a game !
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

rbodleyscott wrote: Whether or not the historical result is the most likely result of a refight under FOG, it is certainly a possible and not unlikely result.

Note that the rules are not based entirely on one (not fully understood) battle. The historical result of any one historical battle is not necessarily the most probable result of that battle if it had been fought historically under exactly the same conditions several times. "Fortunes of War" played a major part in many historical battle results.

Personally I think William was a lucky bastard (ahem :lol: ) at Hastings and the battle would normally have been won by the English - mind you he had to chance his arm as the longer term strategic position wasn't good.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”