Wolves From The Sea now available!

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:17 am

Brave New World
Aldus Huxley. Couldn't even spell the name of the town where I lived correctly. Thats our brave new world.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:17 am

In the UK there are hardly any games shops now (GW excepted) and ones with gaming space are even rarer. Oddly enough there are actually three indeoendent games shops within 10 miles of house all of which have gaming space although none sell FoG or any 15mm Ancients :(

LambertSimnel
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by LambertSimnel » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:23 pm

Wayland's Forge in Brum sells FoG rules and lists :D

but didn't have Wolves from the Sea today :cry:

However they do have a reasonable number of 15mm ancients figures for sale :D

but I didn't buy any because of all the unpainted lead I still have :cry:

DaiSho
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by DaiSho » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:36 pm

hammy wrote:In the UK there are hardly any games shops now (GW excepted) and ones with gaming space are even rarer. Oddly enough there are actually three indeoendent games shops within 10 miles of house all of which have gaming space although none sell FoG or any 15mm Ancients :(
Well, despite the bashing GW get, I went into a GW shop the other day to buy some paints and there was a guy there introducing a young guy (8 or 9) to 'Lord of the Rings'. They were there busily rolling dice and having a good time while his dad looked on with a big smile on his face.

When they left shortly after I arrived it was clear this was the first time this young chap had been in anything like a wargames shop.

I don't know whether he will come back and spend all his dad's money on GW overpriced minis, BUT at least he's had exposure to wargames of some discription, and maybe when he's older and needs to spend some of his own money he'll see the light and start playing FoG.

My attitude to GW has changed dramatically over the years.

I used to loath them, now I don't care one way or another. I can't believe people spend the money they do on GW stuff, but I can't believe people spend $80,000 on a new car either!

Ian

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:21 pm

I won't post my feelings on GW on this list but suffice to say they are not quite as ambivolent as yours.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:43 pm

I think they are mostly a good thing. They get people into wargaming far better than a load of fat blokes getting anal about bow cases (who me 8) ). I have no problem with people making money or charging an economically realistic amount for their products (especially as I think most wargames suppliers don't but that's their lookout if they want to undercharge and I'll their advantage).
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

geoff
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by geoff » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:45 am

I would like to send a personal thank you to all of you who whinged sooooooo loud about us Aussie colonists getting the books early that now it looks like we will get them many weeks late!!!! Just couldn't handle it that we may get something before you just once. Pathetic :evil:

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:01 am

Dried frog pills needed there I think :shock:
Nik Gaukroger

geoff
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by geoff » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:30 am

nikgaukroger wrote:Dried frog pills needed there I think :shock:
Well Nik, I hope you feel really clever with your "witty" retort.

I would like to state that I love FOG and have bought the rules and all lists so far. After over 30 years of gaming, FOG has re-vitalised me as an ancients gamer.
My complaint I believe is genuine. Distribution of books world wide is a always going to favour one country or another. In Australia normally we have to read about others getting books before us. We suck it up and wait our turn. There has been an obvious effort made to delay distirbution to Australia with "Wolves from the Sea".

Cheers.......Geoff

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:11 am

geoff wrote:

I would like to state that I love FOG and have bought the rules and all lists so far. After over 30 years of gaming, FOG has re-vitalised me as an ancients gamer.
My complaint I believe is genuine. Distribution of books world wide is a always going to favour one country or another. In Australia normally we have to read about others getting books before us. We suck it up and wait our turn. There has been an obvious effort made to delay distirbution to Australia with "Wolves from the Sea".
Cheers.......Geoff
My understanding is that the FoG books were supposed to be released at the same time throughout the world. Now if I was a publisher and I learnt that a supplier who had taken my stock in full knowledge of a release date had chosen to release early I would not be very happy.

I realise that FoG is nowhere near as significant as say Harry Potter and the whatever but as the Harry Potter books were not all printed the day before they went on sale there must have been an agreement somewhere that the release would be as requested by the publisher. The FoG companions weren't released a day or two early in Australia, they were released weeks early.

Just speculation on my part but it could well be that as Wolves from the Sea is the first book in phase 2 of the companion release that someone has taken the Australian distributor to task.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:30 pm

geoff wrote: There has been an obvious effort made to delay distirbution to Australia with "Wolves from the Sea".

I'd take this seriously if there was some benefit to Osprey for doing so - can't see any personally so don't.
Nik Gaukroger

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by madaxeman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:59 pm

I bet Botswana got them early.

(sorry - wrong forum :P )
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

stenic
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by stenic » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:11 pm

geoff wrote:

Cheers.......Geoff
You're right. It's a conspiracy. We may have lost the Autumn Rugby International and the Ashes but we are going to make damned sure we win the FOG Publication Date Wars. I'd stay and say more but I'm due to attend an open-topped bus parade through London for Slitherine and Osprey to celebrate our victory, so must dash.

:roll:

Steve P --> Stoking the fire

vsolfronk
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by vsolfronk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Psssttt....I heard that Osprey is making sure that NZ and AL-USA are going to get Wolves before the Aussies do! Also, that the CIA, the Illumanati, and Great Old Ones are in on the conspiracy as well! :lol:

geoff
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by geoff » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 pm

stenic wrote:
You're right. It's a conspiracy. We may have lost the Autumn Rugby International and the Ashes but we are going to make damned sure we win the FOG Publication Date Wars. I'd stay and say more but I'm due to attend an open-topped bus parade through London for Slitherine and Osprey to celebrate our victory, so must dash.

:roll:

Steve P --> Stoking the fire

LOL....I'll pay that :)

Ghaznavid
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ghaznavid » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:32 am

hammy wrote: My understanding is that the FoG books were supposed to be released at the same time throughout the world.
Doesn't make sense. If that's the intend, why would they list different release dates for the US and UK?
Karsten

~ We are not surrounded, we are merely in a target rich environment. ~

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:48 am

Ghaznavid wrote:
hammy wrote: My understanding is that the FoG books were supposed to be released at the same time throughout the world.
Doesn't make sense. If that's the intend, why would they list different release dates for the US and UK?
True but there was not a release date severall weeks earlier than the rest of the World for Oz which is what happened with the first 7 companion books.

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:58 am

geoff wrote:

Cheers.......Geoff
I'll have a word with them Geoff. Need to make the effort less obvious in future.

Probert
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Probert » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:44 pm

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon here in the States, and have yet to recieve any sort of shipping notification.
Later Carthaginians (853 pts)
Medieval Swedish (591 pts)
Later Achm'd Persian (424 pts)

vsolfronk

Post by vsolfronk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Amazon just sent me a message saying that it is in the mail (UPS)!!! King Arty can hardly wait!! :lol:

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”