Any British players able to help a new player out?

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

ASadisticRug
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Any British players able to help a new player out?

Post by ASadisticRug »

Hi guys,

I just got back from a event here in NZ were people were playing FOG N and their armies all looked amazing. Im collecting a 28mm British army but Im looking into getting a 15mm one also, and I have a few questions.

First off sorry if I could find this in the search function. I have tried and come up with nothing. What are the basic base sizes that the game uses? Ive ordered the rule book but also some models so I need to get some bases for them :P I think someone has said 30x20mm? Is that correct? Also is that the base size used by everything, infantry, cav and arty?

Where do you buy your bases from? Litko I heard are good and Ive been using Sarrissa Precision for everything so far.

For someone making a Peninsula Campaign era army is there anything I should know before I spend more money? :D

Hopefully I can find my way from here once Ive gotten these questions answered.
Cheers, Matt.
Philip
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Any British players able to help a new player out?

Post by Philip »

Hi Matt,
Glad to hear that you liked the look of our armies at the tournament!

For 15mm armies the standard base size is 30 x 40mm for almost everything. Cavalry bases have 3 figures per base. Infantry have either 6 or 8 infantry figures per base, and skirmishing light infantry have 3 or 4 figures per base (the exact number of figures isn't important, so go with what looks best for your figures). Units will have 4 or 6 bases in total.

Artillery have 1 gun and several crew on a 30 x 40 base for most artillery or 40x40 for heavy artillery. Artillery typically will have 2 or 3 gun bases per unit.

You'll also need a few 40x40mm bases for commanders.

A good supplier of custom made bases in NZ is Dopey Dog Laser Engraving http://www.dopeydog.co.nz/

I hope that helps. There are others with more expertise on Peninsula armies who can give you more detailed advice. But do get in touch if you want to arrange games with some local players.
cheers,
Philip
ASadisticRug

Post by ASadisticRug »

cheers would definitely be keen on getting in some games sometime. I've ordered three battalions of what I assume to be centre companies :s and some heavy dragoons just to get me started and will look into proper lists once the rule book arrives.
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

The rule book has some early sample lists written to help players get started until the actual army list books were published. You should buy Emperors and Eagles which has the actual British Peninsular lists in it. One you have both books you will see a difference in the initial rule book lists and the official army list lists.
ASadisticRug

Post by ASadisticRug »

Thanks for the info dead, I've ordered E&E and I see if I want to play tournies I cant use the main rule book lists. Now its just time to wait for the first wave of models to arrive and head out and watch some games.
adonald
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by adonald »

Hi Matt

I'm a Kiwi with two British armies, one Peninsula and one 1815. I put 6 figures on my Anglo-Portuguese line infantry bases to reflect the two-deep line formations they used. I have 8 figures on the Spanish army bases because they fought in three lines and are 'unreformed' in the rules. I have skirmishers with three figures to a base.

As a FoGN 'unit' (4 or 6 bases) is basically a British brigade I had thought of modelling each battalion on a seperate base if there were four battalions to a brigade. But that's more the exception to the rule, and the Portuguese have five battalions to theirs after the cazadores became available. So what I did was have modelled only two battalions for a small unit, with one base having the command colour party and a few musketeers, and another base just with musketeers. With the British you will probably 'tool up' the infantry with skirmisher and gun attachments anyway. You can wind up with surprisingly few musket infantry figures on the table.

The British lists in E&E have mistakes all the way through them and it's damn near impossible to make up historical formations. It appears that the rule authors wanted to pander to players with existing armies based around battalion-level rules so made up lists that reflected those basing choices, even though they are at pains to explain these are rules set at one level above battalion. This possibly explains the 'cazadore' unit that actually never existed in the Portuguese army. The Cazadores should be modelled as a rifle skirmish attachment in a Portuguese line brigade. There's others, like the compulsory KGL line unit in almost every list and yet they weren't at Albuera etc. so, with that as a 'basis' you can do pretty much as you like, I would have thought. As long as they broadly look like what they are representing you should be right.

Alastair Donald
ASadisticRug

Post by ASadisticRug »

Cool thanks for the help, will ask more questions as they come along.

Return to “Modelling/Gallery/Uniforms Questions”