Wall of suggestions
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:21 pm
A variety of suggestions based on my playtime so far, some of these I'm sure are already in development, others are going to be completely unreasonable to implement or just are bad ideas for the game, but hopefully some will prove useful so here goes.
- When I select a unit that has a move or attack queued, show a target (Or other icon) at its destination tile.
- When I move a unit so that it reveals an an enemy unit from the fog of war, stop unit movement immediately and ping the newly revealed enemy unit on the minimap.
- Add a breakdown for upkeep costs from each unit so I can see exactly how much each is costing me. Make this information available on the build details as well. Could do a little fading popup of the resource cost from each unit at start/end of turn (Or whenever upkeep is charged)
- Ping units on the minimap when they are in combat. (Can be a different color ping from the enemy reveal ping)
- When a unit is selected, colour the available tiles it can move to (Green) and enemies it can reach to attack (Red) - This should help with accidentally sending units one tile further than they can move in one turn, which takes up their next turn immediately since it queues.
- Add a "Hold until healed" button that will leave the unit there until it is within a turn's amount of healing from full. So if it heals .2 per turn with max health of 1.0 and is at .3 health, it would not show up as idle until it had healed to .9 (It would leave the decision of whether to recover the last .1 to the player to do)
- Clicking "Hold until healed" at .9 out of 1.0 in the previous example would assign the unit to wait just that one turn, dropping it out of the list of unassigned units.
- A little cost indicator should pop up when a unit triggers additional costs (Such as moving into water)
- Make mountains more difficult to move over by tanks and ATVs (Wheeled ground units) - diagonal movement onto them costs double (Tanks couldn't move diagonally onto a mountain at all since they only have 1 move) so they would want to go around. Provides a mobility benefit to troopers/mechs hiding in mountains. (This may be too unintuitive, but I'd like the added depth for city placement that it would provide since heavy armor moving against you would then be more limited, and it's a fairly simple rule)
- Watercraft shouldn't be constructable in a land locked city, or should be given ground based transport from there that moves them 1 tile per turn (Transportation would fade when they reached the ocean and would not come back after that).
- Add a way to bring a unit to a city and upgrade it with the newest tech for its type. Such as bringing troopers back and equipping them with newly researched body armor. (May already exist, but I didn't see it anywhere)
- Some benefit to multi-move units for attacking without using up all their moves, since attack ends their turn. I'm not sure what would fit well here but since it only takes 1 move to attack it seems uneven to consume their entire move pool for no benefit.
- Whenever a new unit becomes available add a stock version of it to the Production Options.
- Indicate how far along in production a city is (Relevant for switching to a faster building unit)
- Show a city's range of influence when the city is selected.
- Disable mouse scrolling at the edge of the screen if in city mode
- Escape exits city mode rather than space bar
- Add some form of protection to building with credits, I accidentally built a couple units by clicking their credit option when I didn't mean to. Possibly an "Undo last purchase" that would be available until I left the city screen, instead?
- Improve feedback on the city screen for when production slows due to mineral starvation.
- Improved notification when a tile has an army on it -- should be easily understood without having to click on that tile (Power is unreliable since damaged units could make it look like less are present)
- Mark the idle alert (Icon or different colour) when all remaining idle units have been viewed this turn.
- Verification that I want to end a turn when there's un-viewed units in the idle list (A notification that can be closed by hitting space a second time?)
- Allow clicking on the top bar to set research even when no research is currently set. Maybe have text there "No Research Set" to call attention to that area.
- Disable edge scrolling when Pandora's window doesn't have focus (I don't like moving my view when I'm not even watching the view). Related, option to disable audio when not in focus/minimized?
- Rename "Defend" for units to "Hold Position" since it doesn't give any kind of defense boost.
- Add a more clear icon for units in armies that have taken their turn vs ones that still have movement left.
- Add more information when considering a trade pact or research pact on what we believe our capabilities are vs theirs.
- Add ways to pay bribes to people to get them to leave you alone?
- Include the name of the research that just finished for all the reward screens notifying about it.
- Each turn wipe out any remaining notifications from the previous turn and scroll up the new batch, or a glow/shine on new ones. Something to call attention to them. (I've gotten so used to "Out of Minerals" that I actually forget I'm in that state and should do something about it because it's just an icon that's constantly there, for example)
- This one is a bit vague, but colour code numbers so that it's easily identifiable when units are damaged/incomplete/whatever and approximately how far along they are. Right now everything in the interface feels like it's just white or gray which leaves a lot of room for colours to make quick glances more informative.