Research Tree Problem

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

Sord
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Research Tree Problem

Post by Sord » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:47 am

Ok, here is my problem with the current research tree/information.

I'm playing along just fine, when I discover that one of my opponents has tanks. My troopers and their flamethrowers are not up to this task, so I want to devote all research to building some anti-tank weapons. I see some Anti-Armor research and think perfect! The research completes and I get an anti-mechanical cannon, great! However, apparently neither my troopers nor ATVs can equip such a thing. So apparently my scientists have been creating weapons for some non-existent vehicle? I still want to fix this problem and I look at the techs to find the "make a bigger vehicle" tech. I scan through the techs twice, can't find anything that sounds like tank or even just vehicle, and get frustrated at the game.

Had this not been a beta, this likely would be the end of my playing this session and I would move on to something else, possibly to never return.

During my efforts to list the details the problem I did discover that one of the techs "Deflective Hull" has a description that says it will allow production of heavily armored combat vehicles. So I'm guessing that is what I want. But because I couldn't see deeper in to the tree, my first assumption was that what I wanted was simply being hidden from me, with no clue how to get there, not that I'm just missing something non-obvious. In one of the Civ games, I would have looked deeper in to the tree, not found it there, and then backtracked. Or maybe found some kind of advanced tank deep in, and then looked at it's prerequisite techs to find where the normal tank is.

I might also suggest that "Deflective Hull" doesn't say "Tank" to me. I think I was assuming it would be some kind of defensive upgrade, maybe for sea going ships, or maybe for the tanks once I actually got one. I also think many of the research techs would be better if they were simply named after the thing they give you. For example, if the research item was called "Avenger Tank", I would have clicked on it right away.

whaleberg
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Research Tree Problem

Post by whaleberg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:56 am

Renaming the techs would help. Having a visible tree that explained what each tech will do would help more. Techs that require others to be useful need to have those as prerequisites.

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:01 pm

We're still discussing what exactly we want to do about it, but we agree that it has to get better. Thank you, Sord.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:56 pm

For now we renamed the tech and added the missing prerequisites.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

DTC666
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DTC666 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:38 am

Lack of a research tree is driving me nuts. You cannot plan a strategy that relies on you researching consecutive subjects like weapons and stuff. Apart from that I like the game but find the constant attacks boring. A jump to battle facility would be good

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”